Tank Journal Archive

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Thanks for all the encouragement guys!!
Really trying hard not to cram it with stuff straight away. Fish choices. man who thought it would've been this hard.
On the lookout now for a Midas Blenny.
Dotty backs off the list cause of the shrimp, don't want to risk it.
Firefish and wrasses are known jumpers.
Angels can nip at at the corals, and Flamehawks well from what I've read and spoken to people can also be a bit hit and miss with with shrimp as well. If anyone has had any experience with these and have found different let me know.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Looking good Tony.

Now you can start to sit back and relax :) all your careful planning has lead you here. Good work.
Thanks!!
Will sit back a little now and enjoy it a little.
One of the peppermints have gone missing. Haven't seen him for about 5-6 days, since he shed. Have heard clicking sounds, so hoping it's not what I think.:confused:

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Ive had 15 pepermints in a tank and would be lucky to see one of them at any given time. I though I had lost them all until I pulled down the tank

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Ive had 15 pepermints in a tank and would be lucky to see one of them at any given time. I though I had lost them all until I pulled down the tank
That's good to know.!
The other other one is out and about all the time, so he is easy to spot.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Time for a bit of an update.
Few corals added, and 2 fish. A sixline and a Royal Gramma:)
So far all are playing nicely.
Also shots of the new scollys off Aaro

n.
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1158.jpg
IMG_1159.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg

Changed out my Rowa this morning, and will keep an eye on my phos levels, just been getting conflicting results from Hanna and Redsea test kit. But will soldier on.
Thanks for the help from everyone so far.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Picked up a Midas blenny the other day:). So fish list is pretty much complete! (unless something really stands out that takes my fancy)
So the stock list is:
Pair of Clowns
Sixline wrasse
royal gramma
And the Blenny.

just gotta battle all the Algae taht seems to be taking hold:confused:
Pic's to follow

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Hi guys, yeah had a major algae outbreak! Calaerpa and bryopsis, that'll teach me to stock the tank so quick.
Anyway, I've got the bryopsis under control finally. A combination of tech m, raising the mag, and also believe it or not, the smaller rocks I took out and treated them peroxide. There is a huge post on nano-reef forums about it. And it actually worked.
Now I just have one big rock with the calaerpa, the round type, but that rock has a nem on it so don't know what to do with it.
Other than that everything is going fine. Will post some pic's shortly.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
OK here are some pic's, you can see all the macro on the anemone rock.
Most of the other algae has melted away since the photos. Also got some new corals. And an orange hammer. Colour is a lot nicer in real life. And the scan has grown heaps and coloured a lot in the last few weeks.
Got a dosing pump and have been trying to dial that in the last week. So that brings us up to date.
IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Can leafy algae like that just grow? Any chance traces of it would have been on the rock?
Parts of the algae would have been rooted deep within the rock - you have now provided an ideal environment for it to grow i.e. good water, light, nutrients and, most significantly, there is nothing to eat it.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Parts of the algae would have been rooted deep within the rock - you have now provided an ideal environment for it to grow i.e. good water, light, nutrients and, most significantly, there is nothing to eat it.
Yep I think you nailed it! . As for nothing to eat it watch this space........(runs and ducks from the tang police....)

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
What have you got in mind tonyf?
Well, Az is shutting down his tank, and he has three beautiful yellow tangs, if they don't all go I will grab one of them. I think the tank really needs one feature fish. I got that idea off Ads. If that doesn't happen then I will look for either a baby kole or bristle tooth tang. And yes I am already thinking about an upgrade. Hopefully they will take care of a bit of the algae at least.