Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
WOW looks like a quality chiller. Expensive to ship here? Must weigh atleast 20kgs.
Yeah shipping wieght was 28kg after packaging, it still worked out half the local cost though after all was said and done, the IEC power cable saved any compliance/EU plug issues as well.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
For those interested, here is the controllable features on the chiller, seems a bit over the top but I guess its directed at that sort of crowd :confused:

setpoint
probe offset
kind of probe
decimal point °C
unit of measure
show setpoint
setpoint differential
minimum setpoint
maximum setpoint
lock setpoint
compressor delay since you turn on the instrument
minimum time between two activations in succession
minimum time between off and on the compressor
minimum time the compressor remains on
time the compressor remain turned off during probe error
time the compressor remain turned on during probe error
defrost interval
defrost duration
defrost when turn on
defrost delay when turn on
temperature show during the defrost
kind of defrost interval
low temperature alarm
alarm at low temperature (on/off)
alarm at high temperature
alarm at high temperature (on/off)
upper temperature alarm delay since you turn on the instrument
temperature alarm delay
upper temperature alarm delay since the end of the defrost
instrument address
baud rate
parity

There is also a further "silent mode", which I am yet to work out as well

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
cool thanks for the info, looks like the 2000 model is 1/2 HP or similar to the haliea 500A but in saying that you cant compare the two!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
That is what I was kind of thinking going off the power usage and was originally going to go with the 2000, but the shop was saying the same as yourself that you cant compare the two and that the giesemann is just far more efficient I guess time will tell but at this point in time I am still very sceptical at skimmers with 130mm dia neck being suitable for 1000l tanks and 350w of German cooling power being more efficient than 500w of reputable Asian, I have seen it with pumps etc but those sorts of gains in cooling seems a bit hard to come at.

Something that also strikes me as being vastly different is that these have about a dozen warnings not to run more than 400l an hour through them, yet the recomended flow on a 500a is between 2000-3000l/h

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
the should be enough cooling for 500L as long as your place is not super hot.
Reasoning for the 400lph could be the reservoir for chilling is smaller?

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Hey, like everyone else is saying. Nice chiller man ;)

I can explain all your chiller queries, just not when I'm typing on the phone....

Shoot me a pm with your qs and I'll help ya out!

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
That is what I was kind of thinking going off the power usage and was originally going to go with the 2000, but the shop was saying the same as yourself that you cant compare the two and that the giesemann is just far more efficient I guess time will tell but at this point in time I am still very sceptical at skimmers with 130mm dia neck being suitable for 1000l tanks and 350w of German cooling power being more efficient than 500w of reputable Asian, I have seen it with pumps etc but those sorts of gains in cooling seems a bit hard to come at.

Something that also strikes me as being vastly different is that these have about a dozen warnings not to run more than 400l an hour through them, yet the recomended flow on a 500a is between 2000-3000l/h
The difference in cooling capacity can be broken down to a few things. Generally the mechanics used and the design gains/differences between them.

The Geisman System utilises a scroll type compressor, with TX valve metering device with a larger super-heat differential. Thus requiring a slower flow for maximum heat absorption and due to this higher superheat and compressor type it means that they can use a lower pitch condenser fan. The use of a scroll compressor allows it to be physically smaller, much quieter, more energy efficient, longer lasting and yet still be more powerful. A TX valve adjusts itself to maintain a higher super-heat, making sure the evaporator is as full as possible with liquid refrigerant at all times and hence absorbing more heat over a wider range of parameters. This therefore needs a slower water circulation flow so as to allow maximum heat absorption from the water. In turn this means you can utilise a more energy efficient water feed pump.

Conventional Chillers utilise reciprocating compressors and capillary metering with a critical charge. The reciprocating compressor is noisier, less energy efficient and generates more mechanical heat of compression. This then needs a larger (noisier) condenser fan to sub-cool the refrigerant before entering the capillary which has a fixed metering ability and generally a lower superheat capacity, a faster water flow is needed as increased heat transfer time will cause the refrigerant to be boiled off too early in the evaporator, decreasing its efficiency further. Due to loss of efficiencies, water cooling capacities are limited. Further, due to the critical charge and fixed nature of capillary metered systems, ANY loss of refrigerant means performance drops off remarkably quickly, with a loss of 10grams being the difference between a chiller that works and one that doesn't.

In English, the Geisman uses better machinery to be more powerful, quieter and energy efficient with the trade-off being increased production costs and therefore a higher initial purchase cost and potentially higher repair costs when the inevitable happens.

The options in the controller are all standard refrigeration control options, and line up particularly well with the CAREL brand of controls. So i wonder if they are using a CAREL controller base platform. hmmm

While i have your attention.....Horsepower ratings bug the hell out of me. The horsepower rating is to do with the compressor size (volumetric displacement and input vs output power). Instead we really should be sizing aquarium chillers to the rated output Wattage of said unit in relation to the specific heat capacity of the volume of water.......Bah. I think i need to write a Wiki article on chillers....

Hope something in this spiel is helpful. :rolleyes

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Very well put and what is scarier is i understood the first bit completly, it's very reassuring that I didn't just pay for a pretty box with a brand name on it.

Bring on the wiki

Reactions: MTG

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
Thats ridiculous about the skimmer - surely if its their mistake they could get one to you quicker???? David emailed me last week and he was in Europe - couldn't he bring one back with him - it means you can't use your automatic skimmer cleaner too????

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
They said that time frame was even optimistic and it could be a lot longer, given I was initially meant to have this tank in march and now it will be half way through June, I couldnt see much of a choice. I am disappointed...

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
It sux big time mate. It amazes me how ridiculous the aquarium industry can be. Stories like this are far too common.

What is the go now, mate?

I bet you feel like telling 'em to shove it, only to really want the tank :confused:.

Cheers,
Jamie.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It gets delivered on Tuesday, everyone is reassuring me that the ps1000 is already overkill.

Not really pissed just disappointed. Will be glad when it's in the living room and any delays or stuff ups are now my own