Reef Discussion

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
In that case I would assume it would be a 15,000uMs/cm2 bulb. Are you looking at replacing it (the UV) with another? If you have a skimmer and your tank is matured you shouldn't really need a UV IMO. They can be beneficial but they arn't necessary for a healthy system. They originally where designed for use in aquaculture recirculation (closed) systems where heavy stock loads place a lot of stress on the fish, reducing their immunity to pathogens and hence a cost effective system needed to be employed in controlling disease out breaks. In standard marine aquariums we have no where near those kinds of stock densities (aquaculture systems often have 30-40kg of per cubic metre of water, and in many cases up to 60kg of fish per m3) so stresses to the inhabitants arn't as prolonged or as significant.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Actually my new skimmer rocks up tomorrow B/K 200 mmmmmm lol.I dont have alot of fish and there all healthy so all should be good if i dont get a replacement.Thanks for the advice.

V

'vspec'

UV has merit, and its a tool that can be deployed rather easy from a plug and play perspective.
Im more inclined to favour O3 just quietly.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I'm one for ozone too. It gives you more flexibility I think as you can adjust the output to target specific organisms. The only downside really is that it's so volatile and you really need to know what your doing with it. I've seen O3 take out an entire holding system worth probably $100,000, due to someone's lack of knowledge. The fish all had slow agonising deaths from it over a few days (depending on species... Butterflies and angels seem to be more prone than others, dieing more or less overnight). It's where redox monitors come into there own! Gives me an idea actually 'vspec' a thread giving people a run down of O3!

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
I'm one for ozone too. It gives you more flexibility I think as you can adjust the output to target specific organisms. The only downside really is that it's so volatile and you really need to know what your doing with it. I've seen O3 take out an entire holding system worth probably $100,000, due to someone's lack of knowledge. The fish all had slow agonising deaths from it over a few days (depending on species... Butterflies and angels seem to be more prone than others, dieing more or less overnight). It's where redox monitors come into there own! Gives me an idea actually 'vspec' a thread giving people a run down of O3!
Yes ive just got my new skimmer and it has the ozone feed for it so yes another thread outlining the do's and dont's and how too's would be awesome.
Cheers Mat.