Tank Journal Archive

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
megsez taught mine both by using a mandarin diner- = a small jar that other fish can't access filled with a variety of foods each day
The other food worth getting is ON Lobster eggs- they pick these off the rocks
I will have to give it a go but I think my hermits would get in any container that the mandarin could get in to. Maby if i can stick the container to the glass somehow as they cannot climb the glass.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
I run my frag tank with no skimmer but have no fish so works well will post a PIC if i get a chance tonight. Have made a fuge with just Calerpa with the filter the tank came with. I also looked at scrubbers when I was deciding on sump or scruber a few years back so may even consider making a small one once I see how you do it.

On another note my Mandarin has never eaten food a put in the tank just fends for himself. Any tips on getting theme to eat food introduced to the tank?
AS promised did not want to hijack your thread with a pic so made a post here http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/threads/show-me-your-frag-tank.497/#post-70809 . I change the water 1-2 a month and only get a lil bit of Syno now and then.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I got a couple of new corals today as I had a little extra money in the fish tank budget this week... However I dont have any pics at the moment because I just sat down after a big day and cant be bothered getting the camera out and uploading :)

I got a light blue acro, a red blasto the size of a 20c piece, a cowrie snail and some red dragons tongue algae thrown in for nothing! My nearly 5 year old son found a little rock in the live rock tank with 2 zoanthids on and the store owner gave it to him for free... 5 years old and he has his first coral! On the way home from the shop he asked me if he can have a fish tank in his room :rolleyes

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
He starts school in january. If he is good for the first term I said he can have our FW tank in his room with "Bert" the 7 year old synodontis and more cherry shrimp than you could feed a mantis :D

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
As promised here are some new pics...

My little red blasto
blasto.jpg

My new acro. The colour is a beautiful pale blue... hopefully it stays that way!
new acro.jpg

This is the zoa that my son found in the live rock tank! The LFS were nice enough to give it to him :D
marleys zoas.jpg

and just some more randoms...
duncan.jpg

eagle eyes.jpg

fire and ice.jpg

These were my first ever zoas and have been in my tank for over 12 months... They are really slow growing apparently!
my first zoas.jpg

mystery morph.jpg

red morph.jpg

worm.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice! I got a frag of these zoas recently from a local reefer, love the weird 'paint-like' centres. Yours have much longer frills than mine so far though.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
They are sulky zoas IME the frills took weeks to extend to that length... They didn't open for almost a week when I first got them.. I thought they were dead!