Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Looking good jack. Get some nice lights over that tank those halides look a few years to old!! Black substrate was a bumber. It Realy did show everyone Thing up didn't it , good luck !!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Lights are the next thing to do. I have the Tunze pumps coming soon, then when we get back from out belated honeymoon I will be building an LED light fixture with arduino controller. At the moment all the coral I can move has been moved to the mantis tank and is doing really well.

The duncan that wouldnt come out in this tank went under the LED lights in the mantis tank and has gone crazy and starting to grow another head! The torches and hammers have never extended like they are now... Its amazing what a decent light can do, all this happened in a matter of days! Now I'm seeing my first tiny pieces of coraline algae growing in there and a piece of LR rubble that had some tiny zoa polyps on it and a dead alveopora(i think) skeleton on it... Well the alveopora isnt dead any more... About 5 - 6 tiny little polyps have started showing their heads through the algae that was covering it, they are fluorescing well under the light and swaying around in the current so I'm watching these with my fingers crossed!

With the success of my first LED build on the mantis tank I have convinced the minister to fund one for the bigger tank.... Just a matter of time!

V

'vspec'

I wrote an article on mangroves years ago, after following many research papers and excursions, I realised 95% of the population take them for granted in the ecosystem. Myself included.
Remarkable plants.
I've been out of the loop for a long time, but one would assume its the same issues to look out for, as you understand what they consume from your system, dont let their root system or future height become an issue, and spray the creep,, your generally fine.
Interesting it someone has a new take on this?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have been ashamed to update this as the lights really turned this tank to shit! Now I have built my LED (well far enough along that I can hang it!) its time for a big update...

Ill start at the start...

While the halides were slowly self destructing I moved all of the coral to my mantis tank and this was a fish only tank the algae started taking over even with really low nutrient levels?!?! It had to be the lights... It was frustrating my not being able to keep any coral alive in there so I had to pressure the wife into letting me build my LED light :D

I shelved the cheapo wave pumps and got my flow sorted thanks to MagicJ with 2 x Tunze 6055's and thepubenator for a 7096 Tunze usb multicontroller I love the flow these things give out and the fish (and now corals) love it even more! Anyone thinking about what flow pumps to use in their tanks should seriously consider these things... they are amazing!

I ordered all of the parts for my LED when I got my tax return... 12 cree whites, 12 cree royal blue, 6 cree blue and 6 violets from LED group buy and drivers from www.sureelectronics.net running on a 24v power supply. I made 3 "modules" with 12 LEDs on each including 2 violet, 2 blue, 4 royal blue and 4 white. I currently have 2 of these modules running on the tank and its brighter than the 2 150w halides ever were not to mention the colour!

I have a few new critters in the tank now. I got a lawnmower blenny to help with the algae control, I bought a pair of coral banded shrimp that only one survived :( we now call him Victor! (I dont know if it was stress or fighting but I went out and bought new test kits to make sure it wasnt my fault!) and a nice Acropora colony that I hope to have thrive in there with a little help!

Here are some pics so no one thinks I am a liar ;)
I took a couple of frags off of the acro colony when I got it... Just to see if I can keep them alive and then will probably give them away.
acro frags.jpg

Blenny
blenny.jpg

This little coral goby loves the addition of the Acro! He has made himself right at home amongst the branches...
coral goby.jpg

The full tank shot under 2 of the 3 modules. I only edited the pics to balance the colours to what they look like in real life.
fulltank.jpg

My favourite subject to photograph... Love the colours and his inquisitive nature!
mandarin.jpg

mandarin2.jpg

My morph garden in the grotto :) I just need a couple more colours to fill it up!
morph garden.jpg

One of my favourite zoa colonies! Thanks Luke for the frag!
pink zoas.jpg

Can you spot the 2 hitch hikers that came in on the acro? And ID them?
spot the hitchiker 2.jpg
spot the hitchiker.jpg

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave and comments/criticisms!
Jack

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Wow quite an ordeal you have had! Looking good now though ...

Acro crab in the first HH pic ... can't see anything in the second though.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Wow quite an ordeal you have had! Looking good now though ...

Acro crab in the first HH pic ... can't see anything in the second though.
thats correct... I assume acro crabs are reef safe?!?!

Looks great Jack! :)

Is that a little shrimp dead center in the last pic?
I think some sort of anenome shrimp. I have a similar one living in my torch coral! This one has a body about 15 mm long and claws twice as long! And like the other one its almost impossible to find!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My new acro is dead... the tissue just fell off from the bottom up and it only took 3 days from when i first noticed to wipe it clean :(

I have read about tis...sue necrosis and assumed this is what it was. The only advice I have ever seen given in this situation is to frag the still healthy tips... Now I have 10 frags! I had 12 but 2 didn't make it and I am starting to see polyp extension on a few of them.

The frags I took off when I first bought it home are looking quite nice starting to colour up nicely and extend polyps too.

I am still getting some of the red-brown algae in a few spots on the rocks and on the sand bed not like it used to be but its still there. Any suggestions as to how I should control it? All of my levels are low and its still there...

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Good move to frag the acro - RTN is 'deadly', but doesn't transfer to the frags as long as you left a bit of gap between the white area and healthy.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
One of my clowns have disappeared! Just disappeared!

I have searched around the tank and found nothing... Just disappeared! I have a feeling (s)he went carpet surfing and the cat found it before me!

I am thinking now that I might get a black and white occy and a nem. Hopefully the clowns will pair and start living in the nem... I might have to think about how to do this...

Here are the frags that I took off of the dieing acro colony. They are starting to grow and colour up nicely.
frags.jpg

A beautiful little candy cane frag sent to me very generously by MagicJ I will get post pics of the other frags as I get them...
candy cane.jpg

This fluffy (Rhodactis) morph is one of my favourite corals. It is a beautiful green colour that you cant quite see in the pic...
morph.jpg

An finally a trio of full tank shots. I am trying to show the depth of the aquascape... Not the best pics but I think I have managed to make an interesting tank with several different view points.

From the left
lhs fts.jpg

From the right
rhs fts.jpg

And from the front
fts.jpg

Thanks for reading.
Jack.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Does your tang often spend time upside-down? 2 out of 3 shots =0p

Tank is looking good, the acro looks great!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Yeah he does and I havent started vodka dosing yet!

When I got him and a black backed butterfly they had been in the same tank together for about 5 - 6 years. When the butterfly took a turn for the worst the tang started swimming upside down.... Now its about 50% of the time! I think its part of the grieving process :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hmmmmm - I can only see the second and fourth pictures - it says that the rest contain errors. Is this only me??

And, your YT swims upside down - that's suggests a problem of some sort to me.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
i thought it was a problem at first and tried to figure it out but he has been consistently swimming upside down for months. He eats well and seems happy and healthy. All water params are in check and I dont know what else it could be. He has been doing it since his tank mate(previous tank) for 5 years died... concidence or not I dont know but thats when it started.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
We have just noticed the other clown fish missing... Something is going on here... There is no trace what so ever any where near the tank, I dont know whats up!?!?