Tank Journal Archive

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
fts1.jpg

Here is an almost full tank shot.

I went to the LFS today and picked up a pair of turbo snails. They are doing a good job of cleaning up the slime on the rocks and substrate already.

The morph that was suffering after I put it in an inappropriate spot and got a bit burnt has split in two. So now I have 3 morphs, and all of them are looking pretty good since they were moved into a more shaded spot.

morph1.jpg
Here are the morphs, the one on the left has split but is recovering well and is starting to colour up again. It was a beautiful blue green.

turbo1.jpg

Heres one of my new turbos! They are really cool critters.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I also caught a small crab that i saw a while ago in my live rock. I banished him to the weir pending ID and security assessment hopefully he turns out to be friendly and I can put him back into his hidey hole.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Its alive... I finally got a fish!

For a happy fathers day present I got my first fishy inhabitant a Royal Damsel and 4 little hermit crabs to help the turbo snails out with the clean up duties.

fts2.jpg

fts3.jpg

These little hermits are so cute I had to take a pic before i released them into the tank for fear that i will never see them once they are in the rocks.
hermits1.jpg

Here they are hard at work!
hermits2.jpg

hermits3.jpg

Im glad I took pics of this fish before I released it because it hides in the rock as soon as you move in the lounge room. I hope it settles in a bit and is not so shy.
royaldamsel1.jpg

royaldamsel2.jpg

These snails rock... They cover so much ground its unreal and they have an insatiable appetite.

turbo2.jpg

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have never seen bristle stars for sale... Where can i get them from? I will ask around in the LFS's see if they can find them for me.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I went to the fish shop today just for a look and came home with a couple of zoas and morphs and they gave me a deal I couldnt refuse on a frag of some kind of sps coral.... which I should have left alone but I couldnt help myself!

newsps1.jpg
newsps2.jpg
newspsID.jpg
newzoa1.jpg
newzoa2.jpg
newzoa3.jpg
newzoa4.jpg
newzoa5.jpg
newzoa6.jpg
stromb1.jpg

I got a stromb snail also

Thanks for reading :D

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have been trying to work out what is on your sand :confused:The whiteish coating over everything??
I dont know... its a slimy algae that has formed a film all over the tank. The snails and hermits are doing a good job of cleaning it up but its apparently a long process!

I got my RO/DI from work today and spent the evening setting it up! I love high tech gadgets and this thing is super cool!

Hopefully with the ro water from now on the nuisance algae factor will be reduced and the pocillopora frag will start to colour up nicely for the frag comp next month ;)

V

'vspec'

Firstly RO should have been a principle purchase regarding marine. Glad you've got that sorted.

Secondly, how old is this tank?
The slime coating > is bio slime strangely enough, perfectly normal and will settle once you hit equilibrium.

Thirdly, happy fathers day, however you may regret the damsel choice later depending on your stocking plan.
Fourthly, what is your stocking plan, cause i've snuck in at the end without reading im sorry. It slaps impulse buying at the moment

V

'vspec'

Although in saying that, more often with species only tank, Its nice watching them become little farmers of the algae patches.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Firstly RO should have been a principle purchase regarding marine. Glad you've got that sorted.

Secondly, how old is this tank?
The slime coating > is bio slime strangely enough, perfectly normal and will settle once you hit equilibrium.

Thirdly, happy fathers day, however you may regret the damsel choice later depending on your stocking plan.
Fourthly, what is your stocking plan, cause i've snuck in at the end without reading im sorry. It slaps impulse buying at the moment
1st. I have a friend who has kept a FOWLR with tap water for a long time and he has never had problems with nitrates or phosphates so i didn't think much of it then the more i read and researched the more i knew i really couldnt go without it.

2nd. about 8 weeks i think... not very old so its still got a long way to go as far as equilibrium.

3rd and 4th. I know(now) damsels can be a pain but the LFS assured me that they are generally a peaceful species compared to other damsels. This is my first attempt at a marine tank and at the moment I want one of everything! mostly 2 occys, 1 flame angel and a mandarin.

If the damsel turns out to be too aggressive I have ways of dealing with it. I have a friend who would probably take it and a LFS that will happily take donations if it comes to that.

One of the new morphs i got spent the first couple of days "walking" all over the rock it came on and then disappeared! It has since returned not to the rock but it has retreated into the cave behind the rock but keeps wandering. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Jack.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If the damsel turns out to be too aggressive I have ways of dealing with it. I have a friend who would probably take it and a LFS that will happily take donations if it comes to that.

One of the new morphs i got spent the first couple of days "walking" all over the rock it came on and then disappeared! It has since returned not to the rock but it has retreated into the cave behind the rock but keeps wandering. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Jack.
I started my first tank a few years ago with two humbugs :eek:. Unfortunately, the chances of catching them in a reef tank is close to zero. They stayed with me for many years and I lost a few fish because of them as well. If you are having any second thoughts then I would try to get it out now before your tank becomes established.
On your next point, morphs don't walk :confused:I think we urgently need a picture for ID purposes.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Sorry but no pics. It is certainly a morph it wasnt walking it had just detached from its rock and was floating back and forth in the gentle current under one of the rocks! Every time I saw it, it was in a different position... so I thought it was walking/moving under its own steam. Kinda feel like an idiot now! Now for a bit of an update... there is nothing of note to report! The morphs are all healthy and expanding nicely, zoas are opening up well but are still very brown and the pocillapora frag is less brown than it was since I have moved it from the sand up onto the rocks about 2/3 of the way up.

V

'vspec'

Hey, the only idiot here is me for not making you wear that boob apron for sh^ts and giggles. :D