Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks Jack - makes a bit more sense now :D. Morphs will detach if they are not happy and will float around until they find a good spot, which will always be in a low flow area.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Since your the only other person on here from SA, swhere do you buy your stock from? local or online?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Since your the only other person on here from SA, swhere do you buy your stock from? local or online?
Most of what I have came from Aggies aquariums on research rd Pooraka, H2O Aquarium on Grand junction rd in mansfield park(I think) and 1 piece I got from Seaview aquariums on anzac highway plympton. Next weekend we are taking a drive down to Lonsdale to take a look at Marine plus who have just moved into a massive new store.... apparently they have gone from ~140m2 to over ~600m2 with 20 coral tanks up from 6! I cant wait to see what they have :D :D :D Whereabouts in SA are you mate? I'm in gawler so Lonsdale is a bit of a daytrip for the family but I think it will be worth it for the new shop!

Any updates mate ?
heres one I meant to post on the 3rd of October :D I have been busy!

Yeah I had to rescape the tank after catching the royal damsel and sumping him... in the process removing almost every piece of rock and coral from the tank... What a pain in the a$$ I wont be doing it again anytime soon! On the plus side I am much happier with the scape, not that its incredible or anything just better than before.

rescapefts.jpg

I go this new colony and fragged one of the heads for the comp

torchmothercolony.jpg

A little coral goby joined the menagerie when the damsel was exiled.
yellowcoralgoby1.jpg
yellowcoralgoby2.jpg

I love these fluffy morphs!

fluffy1.jpg

Attachments

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Ahh nice Marine plus new place is just round the corner from me, I'm down at reynella. Still yet to go check it out though which I have been meaning to, might just have to do that over the weekend.

I have been down and checked out H2o and Seaview though, Seaview has a damn nice display tank

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Ahh nice Marine plus new place is just round the corner from me, I'm down at reynella. Still yet to go check it out though which I have been meaning to, might just have to do that over the weekend.

I have been down and checked out H2o and Seaview though, Seaview has a damn nice display tank
Im jealous... marine plus is like 100km from me :D

If your talking about the display at the end of the hallway in the back room... I love that tank I spent about half an hour staring into it before I bought the torch and left.... They have some really nice stuff in there and the prices are not bad at all.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Time for a big update.... I havent posted on here for like 2 months!

Not a lot has changed with just a couple of additions....

buttertang.jpg

I rescued these 2 from a mates tank... Good excuse for a bigger tank soon! (dreams are free!)

puff.jpg

puff1.jpg

A beautiful male (i think) green mandarin... His name is Puff the Magic Dragonet :D

disappearingmorph.jpg

This red morph, way at the back , came in hitchhiking on a zoo rock and detached a while after and I hadnt seen it for ages until I noticed it seems to have attached to the glass at the back of the tank... it still gets light and moderate flow so it shoudl be fine there

fluffymorph.jpg

hammerzoo.jpg

These are looking really healthy and are much better coloured in real life compared to the pics.

duncan.jpg

I got this duncan a couple of weeks ago and like an idiot I dropped the bag from the roof of the car :mad: up until my little "episode" it was expanded nicely in the bag and since then it has barely expanded more than in this pic... its not dead and it seems to slowly gettign better but im not holding my breath :(

Im also modifying a ~100L tank that will go on a new stand next to this one with only the short side visible. It willl be half display and half refugium/live rock pit for 'pod farming and i will probably keep a mantis shrimp in there and something that will survive with it. How about a BTA? I saw an amazing red one at a LFS last weekend and I really really want one now! but I have to do it right so I have some work/research ahead of me... Thats if they will co-exist with the mantis.

Thanks for reading I will try to update this more often...

Attachments

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
nice work VB :D getting there!

I used to live down in SA, unfortunately at that time I wasnt even aware of marine keeping just freshwater.

I used to live at morphett vale, not far from Josh in reynella. used to work in lonsdale too.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Wow I havent updated this for a while!

So for the 3 monthly update... Not much had changed until today, have been struggling with brown algae problems for a long time I thought it was just part of the cycling but now Im leaning towards phosphates and shit worn out halide globes. I got really sick of the black substrate, it showed up every ugly spec! So over the last few weeks I have been removing the black and today was the big day for the rescape.

newfts.jpg

Here is the new scape... I am much happier with the scape and the substrate now. I tried to keep the scape nice and open to keep as much room for the yellow tang and buttefly as possible so I had to put a bit of the rock into the sump and the back of my mantis tank.

I have just bought a pair of Tunze 6055 wave pumps and in a few weeks (when I have paid them off) I will be sorting out some LEDs.

In the meantime I need to get a phos checker and start getting that under control. Im looking at buying bulk GFO from a chemical supplier otherwise I will probably dose VSV (coz my brother produce pure ethanol :) ) What does everyone else use for phosphat control?

Thanks for reading.
Jack.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Looking good Jack - I was wondering how this tank was going. I agree - the new substrate looks much better. Those rocks you made sure have a lot of life growing on them. Unfortunatly im fighting red algea so i dont know how to help with the phos...im sure someone will have some good advice though. How is the yellow tang going? Does he seem fine in that size tank? How many litres is your tank? Im wanting to get one for my tank but its only 250L and im worried it may not be enough for him:)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
The yellow tang is going great! I have been worried about him as he came from a 4' x 18" x 18" tank (same as yours) but seems to have settled in nicely. I think he likes the new scape as it is much more open and the tank, due to its shape, is nearly 4 feet across. There are almost 200L in the display tank and obviously you lose some of that to displacement.

I wouldnt buy a tang for a tank this size, but given the circumstances its better off in here. He eats well (from your hand) and doesnt seem to stress at all and he has been in captivity for about 6 years.... So seems fine.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
yea there would be a lot of open room in there for him. How is your diy overflow going? Had any issues with it yet? Im thinking of copying for my tank

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
yea there would be a lot of open room in there for him. How is your diy overflow going? Had any issues with it yet? Im thinking of copying for my tank
The overflow is fine! Not had any issues with it yet! I wouldnt think twice about using them in the future, infact I will be building another for my mantis tank when I hool the 2 tanks together.

I like the new substrate Jack, to me it looks more natural.

Does the butterfly touch your corals at all?
I love the black substrate in my planted tank but it gets way too messy in the marine system. It really makes the plants standout with black substrate and black background.

The butterfly destroyed my xenia a couple of days after I put him in but has never touched morphs, hammer, torch, duncan or zoos. Almost all of which have been moved to the mantis tank as the halide globes on this tank are really shit and I still havent bothered replacing them or sorting out LEDs yet! And thanks to the pumps you just sold me I wont have the money in the budget for a while yet!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
have you got a one way valve on your return or is there enough room in your sump to allow it to drain down to the return level?
No there is no non-return valve if you look closely you can see a small hole drilled in the pipe just above the T piece this allows air into the return to break the syphon. It drains about 15L back to the sump in case of power/pump failure and there is more than enough room in the sump to accomodate this.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
No there is no non-return valve if you look closely you can see a small hole drilled in the pipe just above the T piece this allows air into the return to break the syphon. It drains about 15L back to the sump in case of power/pump failure and there is more than enough room in the sump to accomodate this.
ahh yes i see it now - clever ;)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I was poking around in the sump yesterday and took a couple of pics.

mangrove.jpg

This mangrove was collected by me at a nearby beach... Seems to be settling in nicely. The centre set of leaves were non existent when I first got it about 3 weeks ago.

xenia in sump.jpg

Some xenia that I hope grows fast enough to be effective at some sort of nutrient export.

nudi.jpg

Found this little critter... I think its a nudibranch? Approximately 15mm long and only 3 -4mm wide. It was really red which doesnt show up very well in the pics.

Thanks for looking.