Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Great looking bunch of hammers! The river rocks would probably be ok as they are mostly quartz which is inert but if you see any flecks of silver in them discard them as there is a chance it may be molybdenum or galina which will be toxic (lead minerals if I remember right). I have had them in my freshies but not marine so just my thoughts. They also arent very porous compared to marine rock but I would think zoas would have no problem sticking.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
bit of a update as i haven't done one in a while, few more hammers have been in, lots of zoas are meant to be arriving tomorrow in the mail hopefully :D
one thing i am trying to do is make a little mound from a single rock with 2 plating monti's off the side at the top and the rest covered in zoas, hard to explain by once i find the right live rock, i think everyone will be impressed :D
also just befor i got my torch and had a look around the tank at night time and i saw hold your breath!!!!!!!!!!!
A CRAB do do do do
i always saw crab claws laying around every now and then and i saw this one and im like wtf another? to i had a closer look then it disapeired then he kept looking at me form inside his rock, looks like a decent size, trying to get a photo for a id, i dont want to put my hands in the tank now :( i dont no where he could have come from, as i havent added any live rock into the tank from anywhere, since i have started up, but i have noticed that almost all of my bristle worms have gone, does anyone no if the crab could be the reason? maybe some sneaky photos later on :D

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I suppose a crab might grab a worm when convenient to snack on but not 100% sure.

I have 3 crabs in the dt and 3 in the sump along with a pistol shrimp in each as well. The crabs in the dt are 1cm across if they have been to the gym for a workout and haven't grown very fast at all as they have been in since day 1. The 3 in the sump are a different matter with the biggest now about 3cm across the carapace.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
bit of a update as i haven't done one in a while, few more hammers have been in, lots of zoas are meant to be arriving tomorrow in the mail hopefully :D
one thing i am trying to do is make a little mound from a single rock with 2 plating monti's off the side at the top and the rest covered in zoas, hard to explain by once i find the right live rock, i think everyone will be impressed :D
also just befor i got my torch and had a look around the tank at night time and i saw hold your breath!!!!!!!!!!!
A CRAB do do do do
i always saw crab claws laying around every now and then and i saw this one and im like wtf another? to i had a closer look then it disapeired then he kept looking at me form inside his rock, looks like a decent size, trying to get a photo for a i.d, i dont want to put my hands in the tank now :( i dont no where he could have come from, as i havent added any live rock into the tank from anywhere, since i have started up, but i have noticed that almost all of my bristle worms have gone, does anyone no if the crab could be the reason? maybe some sneaky photos later on :D

lol how big would you say it is?