Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi Guys,
I am starting to prepare the shopping list for equipments needed, and would like your advise on Chillers.
The tank and sump will be about 3000 litres. I have found the TECO TC 30 that looks like it can handle the chilling and heating, but it is about $ 3k. There is also the Hailea HC-2200bH-B, smaller, but it would be an option to run 2 of them if needed. They are about $ 1200 a piece.
Do you have any experience with either brand ?
Would you run the 1 big chiller, or 2 smaller chillers ?
Appreciate your comments.

Tks
Jac

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I wouldn't worry about chiller right now. Depending on your lighting choice, the house temperature, the basement temperature and water volume - I think you'd be fine with fans over the sump only

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
thanks. In Asia we had ambient temp of 30~32 every day, so the chiller was essential. I am actually more concerned with the heating as the winters here get to about 15 C for prolonged periods.
Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Happy New Year to you all.

I have been silent for months, and had planned to upload a few images of where we are today, with the extension build done, and now being able to finally focus on the tank set up.

I thought I could do this over the Christmas break, but with 3 young kids, there was just too much happening.

Flash forward - tank is up, plumbing ended up looking like a nuclear reactor, fish room in the basement is up, and the first salt water added Jan 18 to 22.

All 3 IBCs empty ( 2 at waterside and one top at street side) but hope to get 1 refilled this weekend.

She is cycling

Hope to get a small internal filter set up this week, so I can get a few initial fish to Quarantine, and they will be ready by the time the tank is.

Most big items in place - 3 10W chillers ( one plumbed to the Closed loop system, and 2 to the main sump system), 2 heaters in for when needed, Skimmer here and ready to be installed in next 2 weeks.

Lights is now in the cross hairs.

After much discussion, debate and reading, I am pretty sure I will go the combination of T5 and LED, as Lesley did.

When I logged on in December, I was stunned to see her post with the sad news on the break up of her marriage and her tank.

Wrote a short note, but had no reply, so I assume she has distanced herself for a while, to focus on personal matters.

She wrote that she will be dismantling and selling her tank.

I did not want to seem to be indelicate by asking, but would you know if she has sold or intends to sell her lights ?

After all these months, i have forgotten how to upload images, but will try to figure it out again, and upload a few images, so you get a better idea of the set up.

Have a great weekend.

Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hi Jacques, I believe Lesley sold the setup complete - but could be wrong.

I saw your update in the other post, it looks amazing - well done!

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi Jacques, I believe Lesley sold the setup complete - but could be wrong.

I saw your update in the other post, it looks amazing - well done!
Sam,
thanks mate - only saw this reply now.
I did not ask before, as it felt like I may be seen to be taking advantage of someone else's misery.
Glad to know she was able to sell the whole set up - too good to split up. She never replied to my post in December, so I hope she is doing ok.
If you have contact with her, please pass her my regards.
Jac