Tank Journal Archive

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Ok, a few pic updates...

Current FTS

Plan is to have one more piece of LR extending to cover the heater on the left and another piece of LR to house another group of hammers a little higher than the current one on the right. So it will be like a lopsided trident. Once the xenia grows out in the middle it should look better (there are 7 separate chunks, all grown out of the free frag adz gave me last year - some are hidden in the back left section). Haven't decided on which other corals I want to fill in the gaps...
IMGP5335 (681x1024).jpg

IMGP5331 (1024x610).jpg

Some of the current livestock - 2 crabs are getting as large as I want them but are not hassling corals yet so they can stay at the moment. Excuse the crappy phone pics when they appear...

IMAG0383 (1024x498).jpg
IMGP5317 (1024x681).jpg

One of my Pep shrimp, little zoa eating mofos.

IMGP5310 (1024x681).jpg

My 3 hitchiker urchins ( collector urchin is right up the top of frame, half cut off and obscured by a crab shell he is carrying). Obviously different spiny species, any ideas on ID?

IMAG0386 (613x1024).jpg

B&W Occy which has had 2 Orange tankmates who have jumped. Might develop a complex soon...

IMGP5324 (1024x488).jpg

and a couple of shots of my 2 faves

IMGP5295 (1024x681).jpg

IMGP5298 (1024x681).jpg

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Just did some quick research re id'ing the urchins. Seems I have a rock-boring urchin, great algae eaters, including Coraline, which would explain my very slow growth (none on rocks).

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tank is looking great! I struggle to get pics that good a lot of times on my dslr, the iphone does a great job.

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Quick update -only crappy phone pics because my daughter has stolen my batteries for some toy...

finally got around to replacing the last orange clown that jumped. 3rd time lucky hopefully. He tried to jump into the torch straight away but quickly darted away like he was zapped. Stung him maybe? He is hiding out in the back mostly but is starting to venture out more and more...

IMAG0408 (1024x613).jpg

The freebie Ieather I got off Sidd is dominating the scape. After fiddling around with my hands in the tank yesterday it must've got all chemical on the tank, xenias didn't look happy at all. All good today, everything back to normal. Still can't believe he was giving it away...

IMAG0403 (613x1024).jpg

There was another soft coral growing on the piece of rock it came on. I broke it off and placed it against the back wall. Clove polyps maybe? (will try and get a better pic later)
Hopefully they attach to the wall..

IMAG0409 (1024x613).jpg

and current FTS

IMAG0404 (1024x613).jpg

started feeding reef roids last night. So far I'm impressed - the frag of zoas that I didn't have much hope for which were attacked by the peps today were all open, granted they were minus the frilly edges which the peps have pinched.

Only thing I'm not happy about is the lack of coralline growth. I know it will grow - the mp10 is covered, as is the intake of the AC70, and lower down on the sides, but any on the rocks, and the black back glass especially is chowed down quickly.The 3 urchins are a nice talking point, but I'm wondering if I'm not better off without them (you can see he has sucked the mag cleaner dry top right of FTS)...

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
I'm a nice guy :) I have given many things for free here and specially on masa forums.

Give the coral a week before it fully opens up. Also what lighting you using again?
How high is it above the tank?

What you dosing for KH?

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
I'm a nice guy :) I have given many things for free here and specially on masa forums.

Give the coral a week before it fully opens up. Also what lighting you using again?
How high is it above the tank?

What you dosing for KH?
It fully opened up but in the last couple of days it has closed right up again. It was straight after a WC and I replaced the rowaphos I run in a media bag in my AC70. Read somewhere that leathers in particular might not like it so took it out tonight and sure enough it has started opening up again. Guess I'll keep an eye on Phos and look for other options.

Using a 72W Led system (12 x 3W White, 12 x 3W Blue) running at 70% about 40cm off the surface. Only need to dose occasionally for KH using Brightwells Nano code B.

Will keep the rowaphos out but considering the near immediate reaction (shedding a bit and opening straight up) I'm pretty sure that was the problem.