Tank Journal Archive

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Xenia has expanded to the size of a small fist already - maybe a little too much flow - it's taking a buffering, but from both sides so it may be ok - seems to be handling it fine at the moment but will keep an eye on it. How much flow do you have yours under Ads?

Have put the orange clown into a QT- will see how he goes but not holding high hopes. Obviously something he already had before purchase because all of my other stock is thriving. Elegance hasn't fully extended yet but is starting to come out more and more - only been in 24hrs so it's just settling in.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
its come from a pretty high flow tank ie 90x per hour, i find that keeps it lower and thicker, when its in lower flow it becomes long stringy and sparser

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Well the mystery of the clown's illness seems to be solved - RIP Clowny. Moved him to QT because the lumps on his head were looking worse and he wasn't eating this morning. Swam around normally then when I went to check on him tonight he was gone. Took him out to have a closer look, poked at the lumps and the poor little guys head basically caved in. Then out from his gills popped out a little creepy crawly about 10mm long. Looked like an isopod of some kind. Didn't get a pic but looked a little like the one on the right, maybe a little thinner.
[Broken External Image]:http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/images/image008.jpg

Hopefully it doesn't spread to the rest of my tank... All other livestock look healthy at the moment touch wood.

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Some pics - excuse the poor quality phone pics - my 5yr old daughter stole my eneloops I use for the camera to power some Thomas trains :mad:

FTS
IMAG0291.jpg

Xenia frag
IMAG0293.jpg

Elegance taking some brine shrimp, starting to open up more, with Mr Strom doing some housework in the background.
IMAG0294.jpg

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Quick update - everything going well - must be getting addicted though, spent a sizeable amount on the new addition - hammer coral at least 20cm x 20cm. Has settled in well. Excuse the glass, maintenance day tomorrow...

IMGP4994.JPG

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Quick update: tank progressing nicely (if a little slowly) - pictures up this weekend.

New additions - 6 zoa frags. My Peps have decided they look good to eat and have wiped out 3, which is strange, I have heard conflicting stories about peps eating zoas. Most 'Peps' that eat them turn out to be Camel Shrimp. I'm pretty sure mine are the real deal, they wipe out aiptasia in less than 10 minutes and have kept the tank clear of them. Funny thing is that they seem to have wiped out the blue/green and purple ones but have left the pink/red & yellow ones alone, which are the colours I really wanted to build around anyway hopefully they won't touch them as they grow out. Strange that they demolished one colour and not the other though. I'm getting some nice growth from the xenia I got of ads - it broke into a few pieces with my poor tie down, but the pieces have attached and are going well - the main one up high in high flow, the piece that attached in lower light on a vertical piece of rock in low flow, and a piece that stuck under a rock mostly in shade looks unhealthy but still trying to stretch out and find the light! Hardy buggers.

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
see post above - 3 are doing fine, the other 3 were harvested by my Pep shrimp. Something that needs exploring perhaps - do Pep shrimp only eat certain colour zoas?

dino

Aug 6, 2012
Hi Webber, sorry, late night - didn't read your post properly.
That's strange about your peps dining on the zoas. Do you feed the peps any food? They are probably just hungry and the only thing they could find to eat were the zoas. Drop in some sinking pellets after light's out to keep them well fed, esp when there are no Aiptasia left in the tank.

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Quick update - have been flat out with work lately...

New purchases - a clown to replace the sick/dead one. He was initially hassled by the B&W for a few days - when I first dropped it in he grabbed it and shook it like a dog with a chew toy. Thought he was a goner right then lol. But over a few days the arguments calmed down - now both roam the tank freely.
New yellow tipped torch which I love also added - perched it on top of a rock I thought securely but every morning it is on the substrate. weird, seems to like it there anyway so there it stays...
Otherwise, water perems good, a little bit of green hair algae directly under light, but under control. Some pink coraline starting to show as well...

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Have been flat out with work but I'm on holidays now so will provide an update. The new clown I purchased went carpet surfing after a few weeks, so it's the original B&W by himself now, have him hand feeding which is cool.
Will get a pic up when I can, other inhabitants include 2 massive spiny urchins and a collector urchin (original hitchikers) - which will explain the slow growth of corraline algae, 2 pep shrimp, and 2 crabs which are getting big but still not hassling coral. Corals I'm adding slowly but seeing awesome growth. The Xenia frag I got of adz has gone wild - split up and growing in 5 places. Will take to it with a razor soon. The 3 LPS (hammer,torch and elegance) have shown great growth, dosing with Nano Code A&B because the weekly wc isn't replenishing enough. Will need advice soon on fragging my massive hammer, it has doubled in size since its arrival and takes up a lot of space. The zoas are the only ones not entirely happy. The peps just won't stay off them and they have trouble opening fully as a result.

The only other issue is this summer heat. I'm not running a chiller but the open top and a fan pointing along the water has kept it under 28c. Occasionally I'll have to cut the lights and add an ice pack to keep it from spiking. Went away for the weekend and when I got home it was 29.7 :( and the previous day was hotter so it probably hit low 30's with the house closed up. Everything looks okay, opened up to the max, but I shut of the lights and everything receded really quickly (way quicker than usual). I got the temp back down to the high 27's overnight and all looks ok. Hopefully the spike didn't do too much harm. Tomorrow is scheduled to hit 43c though and I'm moving our portable air-con to the bedroom so it actually works so I'll just go without lights and keep adding ice I think, hopefully it stays down.

Looking to add another fish soon (suggestions welcome - open top suitable or I'll have to add some eggcrate or something I guess), also looking to add an anemone very soon as well as a clam maybe. Have to sort out the dosing rates first though, cal and Alk seem to drop quickly over a day but day 2/3 levels out. I'm guessing they can only suck it out when it's at certain levels so I have to work out the right rate to keep the levels up where the corals can use them.

Will add a pic when I dig up the camera. Would love some advice re temps though - will a one off spike do massive harm? Will start looking for a 2nd hand or cheap chiller I guess...

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Nice update. No good that your clown jumped :( do you feed you peps? I have four in my tank and after hearing about them eating people's zoas I decided to start feeding them bits of fish and prawn instead of assuming they are eating enough. Might be worth a try if your not.

Also freeze blocks of RO too so on the hot days instead of normal top up you can drop the frozen blocks in to chill and top up evap.

I think we need more pics though ;)

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
yep, good idea with the RO iceblocks, will give that a try. Am waiting on a new blue globe to arrive (the one I ordered off guppys arrived broken and they have no warranty on globes so...:() and then I will get up some quality pics. Will give the peps some extra food, might save the zoas hopefully.

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Have been flat out with work but I'm on holidays now so will provide an update. The new clown I purchased went carpet surfing after a few weeks, so it's the original B&W by himself now, have him hand feeding which is cool.
Will get a pic up when I can, other inhabitants include 2 massive spiny urchins and a collector urchin (original hitchikers) - which will explain the slow growth of corraline algae, 2 pep shrimp, and 2 crabs which are getting big but still not hassling coral. Corals I'm adding slowly but seeing awesome growth. The Xenia frag I got of adz has gone wild - split up and growing in 5 places. Will take to it with a razor soon. The 3 LPS (hammer,torch and elegance) have shown great growth, dosing with Nano Code A&B because the weekly wc isn't replenishing enough. Will need advice soon on fragging my massive hammer, it has doubled in size since its arrival and takes up a lot of space. The zoas are the only ones not entirely happy. The peps just won't stay off them and they have trouble opening fully as a result.

The only other issue is this summer heat. I'm not running a chiller but the open top and a fan pointing along the water has kept it under 28c. Occasionally I'll have to cut the lights and add an ice pack to keep it from spiking. Went away for the weekend and when I got home it was 29.7 :( and the previous day was hotter so it probably hit low 30's with the house closed up. Everything looks okay, opened up to the max, but I shut of the lights and everything receded really quickly (way quicker than usual). I got the temp back down to the high 27's overnight and all looks ok. Hopefully the spike didn't do too much harm. Tomorrow is scheduled to hit 43c though and I'm moving our portable air-con to the bedroom so it actually works so I'll just go without lights and keep adding ice I think, hopefully it stays down.

Looking to add another fish soon (suggestions welcome - open top suitable or I'll have to add some eggcrate or something I guess), also looking to add an anemone very soon as well as a clam maybe. Have to sort out the dosing rates first though, cal and Alk seem to drop quickly over a day but day 2/3 levels out. I'm guessing they can only suck it out when it's at certain levels so I have to work out the right rate to keep the levels up where the corals can use them.

Will add a pic when I dig up the camera. Would love some advice re temps though - will a one off spike do massive harm? Will start looking for a 2nd hand or cheap chiller I guess...
Hey I have had a couple of ammonia spikes which hit around 6ppm, it lasted a day and didn't do any harm, If it goes on for a couple of days though i think you will hit trouble, it all depends on the hardyness of the livestock in your tank.