Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
BBQ time at your place! :-) Out of all the things that can go wrong I think hitchhikers are worrying me the most in planning my tank. Not sure if its having them or having to try get rid of them though.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
BBQ time at your place! :) Out of all the things that can go wrong I think hitchhikers are worrying me the most in planning my tank. Not sure if its having them or having to try get rid of them though.
Use some dead rock and seed it with a little live rock that is known to be pest free.

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
I'm enjoying spotting different hitchhikers though I think I can see some more tiny newborn aiptasia on one of the rocks. I'm leaving it for now to see for sure but I was planning on a couple of peppermint shrimp anyway.

I just bought an Aquaclear 70 - planning to do a DIY refugium - cheaper than a custom fuge or a ready made reef Oco or CPR. I also bought it to increase surface breakup - I had a nasty film happening despite the Vortech's ability to swirl it around. It has done that (running it with just the foam pad atm before I cut up the basket), but is a noisy bugger and is dumping a heap of bubbles into the tank. I will be reducing the flow when it is a fuge and the water level can probably stand to rise a little so the waterfall effect is lessened, but the pump is still noisy as hell.,

Still nothing showing up ammonia/ nit wise after a week, a bit of brown on the sand and little dark green algae, and a little lighter brown/green algae on a few rocks. Sounding normal?

Will get up some pics when something is updated.

V

'vspec'

Hey Hey, progress.
Nice dude.

So we're going a antigravity sump thats on display, Nice, this should be interesting.
What are you using to feed the thing?

The pro is the return will chop the surface skim well, the con is that without a skimming device, that layer isn't going anywhere.

edit: scrap that, realised another page awaited me.
Funtasia is a bitch sometimes dude, replication value suxs big time. Act early, dont rely on your peps, your best plan is to be proactive. Apt X or other product simular do well for intank applications. Problem is they do cost a few smackos.
But better than the alternative

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
BBQ time at your place! :) Out of all the things that can go wrong I think hitchhikers are worrying me the most in planning my tank. Not sure if its having them or having to try get rid of them though.
Don't look at hitchhikers this way- I think they're the most exciting part of a reef tank-and also don't be too quick to kill or get rid of things-even poor aiptasias have a role-I let them grow in the part of my sump where the pump section is-supposed to help remove nitrates( maybe I'm abnormal- but I'm happy this way)

sorry to hijack webber

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
I upped the water level so that the return skims along the surface rather than dropping in and moved it to the other end of the tank, away from my pillow. Made a world of difference. The fans on the lights are louder now. Will take it off the tank soon and hack the basket up to make the grill on the return and the baffles inside. Anyone recommend a good, very cheap light that would be good to grow chaeto under? Thinking of running it on a reverse cycle to the display tank. May help reduce ph swings. Good idea?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Does macro need anything fancy light wise?? Would a normal household warm white fluro suffice? That was going to be my plan lo experts speak up please!!

Tanks coming along nicely!! New FTS at all?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
No -not warm white- get cool daylight about 6500K-phillips makes a energy saver- in both edison and bayonet models.
of course can also go LED again same K but more expensive initially although will last longer

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Ok small update - here is the latest FTS

Had some big temp swings with the cold nights running the Eheim Jag 75W - down to mid 23's and up to 27 just before lights out, so I swapped it for the 150W heater on my FW tank - now a stable 26-26.5. AC70 still just running with the filter pad - haven't had time to start modding it for a fuge yet. Would like to find some suitable macro first...

aimg151.imageshack.us_img151_557_imgp4816a.jpg

Little bit of green hair like algae on a few rocks (was a thin covering over front glass as well) and lighter brownish algae over another rock. I'm thinking it's normal???

All tests are at 0 still a week and a half in - is that normal? Should I have seen any ammonia yet or am I assuming that because there were fish in the LR tank at the LFS and because I've kept the rock wet continually since then that I might not have a cycle at all?

I took out the small rock with a few Aptasia on it and smashed it up - discarded most of it. Pulled a couple of worms out of it - one bristle worm that would have been at least 20cm long which I put back in the tank and this guy - hope he isn't something nasty...
aimg845.imageshack.us_img845_1690_imgp4818.jpg

If they came out of the small rock, I'm scared to think what dwells inside some of the larger rocks. I heard a very loud click tonight too, heard the same last night just after lights out. Sounded like something cracking. Mantis maybe? I thought the clicking would be more regular though??

Would appreciate thoughts on test results. Absolutely nothing showing up, better to wait and see or is it safe to add a CUC?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Maybe the click was your lights :confused: something cooling down perhaps?

Dont know what that catapillar is lol maybe some type of nudibrach?

couldnt tell you about your results I start my cycle on saturday fingers crossed! Maybe hang a raw prawn in the tank for a day to get the ammonia kicking in? That was my plan.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Are you testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? I'd expect to see something at some point ... even if you have a smaller/no cycle. Give it another week and test every day or two at the least.

A bit of hair algae is fine ... bristle worm is good ... no idea what the hairy thing is, could perhaps be a nudi of some kind.

Clicking could be a mantis but more likely a pistol shrimp. Don't worry about it yet, but keep an eye out!

Oh and just because this thread needs a real football team in it ...
aimg.metro.co.uk_i_pix_2007_09_sport_kopAP_450x369.jpg

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Are you testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? I'd expect to see something at some point ... even if you have a smaller/no cycle. Give it another week and test every day or two at the least.
yep testing all 3. Current stats:
temp: 26.5
ph: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
salinity: 1.026

I'm on strike today, might get time to hack the AC70... still looking for some Chaeto somewhere... or another suitable macro algae if someone has ideas...