Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
When Good Tanks Go Bad
And you all thought i was dead lol Lots of things been going on so I've absent of late.

The tank ended up going down hill due to an invasion of aiptasia. They pretty much totalled everything. There were two in there from the start. I tried to kill them using vinegar and kalk but i think all it did was cause them to spawn. I did have have pepps in there that may have been eating the smaller ones, if the aips were continually spawning, but i gave a few away as they weren't eating the big two larger aips and there and the one i kept dissappeared around the time i introduced the orange back!

Yay...
168.JPG

nay
20150102_162612.jpg

Tanks shut down now till i get home from the states. My fish, nem and symphillia are being babysat till then thanks @holly

Thanks for lookin.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to see this you must be devastated!

I'm sure you have a plan and I'm not sure this will help but I had a couple get into my tank and the only thing the peppermint did was become lunch for one of my fish however a Copperband butterfly cleared it up very quickly.

To top it off he is a great fish ... strange at times but a great fish to have in the tank.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Man that's tough and hard to see :( Your tank was always so stunning Sarg!

It's good to see you're back though and I can't wait to see what you do next, at least you've got things being looked after by the lovely Holly while you get things going again, it would be too sad if you didn't!! :)

Sing out if you need a hand with anything though!

Looking forward to it's reincarnation. I was wondering why you were so quiet.

I recently had my first brush with the pest anemone. Luckily we caught it while they were still small and only on two corals so we pulled them out and injected them with vinegar one day & kalk the next. Even then there were tiny ones we couldn't get to so I rushed around to find some peps.

Touch wood...so far, so good.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Thanks @slin1977 I've been meaning to get back on for so long. I took that pic months ago just never got around to it.

Man that's tough and hard to see :( Your tank was always so stunning Sarg!

It's good to see you're back though and I can't wait to see what you do next, at least you've got things being looked after by the lovely Holly while you get things going again, it would be too sad if you didn't!! :)

Sing out if you need a hand with anything though!
Cheers :worship yeah it was a bit of a shock looking back at that pic lol :rage I guess you dont notice the degradation as much when you look at it everyday.

I'll set it all back up no worries, but it won't be till late august when i get back home.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If nothing else, this is a good example of what can happen when aiptasia get out of control :eek

What are you up to in the US ?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Looking forward to it's reincarnation. I was wondering why you were so quiet.

I recently had my first brush with the pest anemone. Luckily we caught it while they were still small and only on two corals so we pulled them out and injected them with vinegar one day & kalk the next. Even then there were tiny ones we couldn't get to so I rushed around to find some peps.

Touch wood...so far, so good.
Pepps are good. I watched mine tear some apart that come in on a frag of zoas. They didn't attack large ones but small pepps are a different story.

And yes I'd never recommend vinegar or kalk to get rid of the pesky aiptasia!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
If nothing else, this is a good example of what can happen when aiptasia get out of control :eek

What are you up to in the US ?
Following the boss :worship She is doing a bit of work over here and the kids and i are on holidays :D we come back around august. Only been here for a week, bit chilly atm. We missed the actual snow fall but still got the remnants. Everyone recons we will probably get one or two more dustings. The ice has pretty much melted this week.

20150312_180941.jpg

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Took a drive to a nearby lake today to suss it out, can fish in there so had to have a look.

Driving in we thought it was strange no one was around....

20150317_125959.jpg

Figured it out pretty quick. Fudge it was cold!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Cheers :worship yeah it was a bit of a shock looking back at that pic lol :rage I guess you dont notice the degradation as much when you look at it everyday.

I'll set it all back up no worries, but it won't be till late august when i get back home.
No worries, I'd be happy to help out if you need it :)I can imagine, it would be a huge shock just seeing the huge difference between the two shots!

I can't wait to see it all up and running again though!! :D

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Where are you in the US Sarg? All of our snow is gone, been 10-20 here the last few days, going back down to -2 tonight, 10-12 cm of snow forecast for Friday night, lol. One thing about the northeast in the spring, if you don't lie the weather, wait an hour and it'll be TOTALLY different.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hey Mate , Glad to see your alive and well !
When you fire it back up let me know cause IOU a few frags.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Where are you in the US Sarg? All of our snow is gone, been 10-20 here the last few days, going back down to -2 tonight, 10-12 cm of snow forecast for Friday night, lol. One thing about the northeast in the spring, if you don't lie the weather, wait an hour and it'll be TOTALLY different.
My wife is working at Michigan uni. We are hoping for snow on friday lol it was cold out today! Saying "out" for outside im gettin the lingo sorted lol

I'll have to hit you up for some info on Yosemite if your familiar with the area as we plan on going there since we fly back out of LA.