Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I am so sorry to see this you must be devastated!

I'm sure you have a plan and I'm not sure this will help but I had a couple get into my tank and the only thing the peppermint did was become lunch for one of my fish however a Copperband butterfly cleared it up very quickly.

To top it off he is a great fish ... strange at times but a great fish to have in the tank.
Pepps worked well for me and for all i know they were the ones cleaning up the small ones!

I did try a copperband before it really got out of control but the yellow tank didn't approve. I them got a kliens and he was good, straight into them but he started tucking into sps polyps and lps just as quick!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Wrong coast mate, I'm on the east coast. I'd rather have my ass shaved with a broken beer bottle and mace than to live in California, lol.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Looking forward to it's reincarnation. I was wondering why you were so quiet.

I recently had my first brush with the pest anemone. Luckily we caught it while they were still small and only on two corals so we pulled them out and injected them with vinegar one day & kalk the next. Even then there were tiny ones we couldn't get to so I rushed around to find some peps.

Touch wood...so far, so good.
Like everyone im sure, when the tank is new you go nuts lol glued to facebook around wednesday onwards glued to the forums and posting like a madman. Once the tank gets on you realise you dont need to post every time a snail moves! Your still there just not as chatty ;)

But when the tank goes to sh!te thats a different story i just couldn't be bothered lol

Get those little feckers out of there. Try a kliens butterfly or a copperband. Kill them at all cost... just dont inject them. Some guys we testing pottasium hydroxide i think it was, look on acro als website. I brought a bottle but it was to late, the war was lost so i never opened it.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We have friends and family all over Michigan, might go up after my leg heals up. M has family in Detroit and I have a friend up in Saginaw.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Dude, I didn't think you were going over there yet! Can't believe the state your tank got in - so is it fully empty now or just left to fester while you are away? If the latter and you need any help tank sitting let me know.

If the former ... where the hell are my hornet frags? :p

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Dude, I didn't think you were going over there yet! Can't believe the state your tank got in - so is it fully empty now or just left to fester while you are away? If the latter and you need any help tank sitting let me know.

If the former ... where the hell are my hornet frags? :p
lol zoas got totalled! Aiptasia got on every type of zoa i had, it was quite sad actually.

Between the Aiptasia, that weed, the bloody dosing pump breaking and dodgy salt aagghhh :banghead

I was going to leave it running, i have a guy from work looking after the place, but with all the crap it was no point. I had moved it back to nsw for ease of maintainance for a non reefer but the tank just wasn't healthy.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
lol zoas got totalled! Aiptasia got on every type of zoa i had, it was quite sad actually.

Between the Aiptasia, that weed, the bloody dosing pump breaking and dodgy salt aagghhh :banghead

I was going to leave it running, i have a guy from work looking after the place, but with all the crap it was no point. I had moved it back to nsw for ease of maintainance for a non reefer but the tank just wasn't healthy.
Holy crap that was a few bucks worth of zoas and other corals I expect. Did you just bin the rock etc? (probably took great pleasure in doing so!)

At least you have an awesome setup ready to restart when you get back here.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Holy crap that was a few bucks worth of zoas and other corals I expect. Did you just bin the rock etc? (probably took great pleasure in doing so!)

At least you have an awesome setup ready to restart when you get back here.
Rock was all sitting in the front garden, will be fully bleached by the time i get back.

And i try not to think about cost lost! I did give a few pieces to local fraggers it the hope some could be chopped off and the favor will be repayed. Ive already seen a few pop up on facebook so should be good.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
If you want some help with that zoa garden getting set up again I know I owe you a few more than a couple frags given how many I've gotten off you ;)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I felt sick when I read your post title! Very impressive pest invasion you had there.

Hit me up for some of @Joshwaaaa's Eagles Eyes when you get things going again - I swear his are a particularly vigorous strain or something, I know they grow well as it is.

America looks fun :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I did look it back up and saw there was a bel air over this side ;) We have to head to washington at some stage sort of close :)
Just let me know when you're coming to DC, I know a great Thai place in northern Virginia,we can do dinner or lunch.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I felt sick when I read your post title! Very impressive pest invasion you had there.

Hit me up for some of @Joshwaaaa's Eagles Eyes when you get things going again - I swear his are a particularly vigorous strain or something, I know they grow well as it is.

America looks fun :)
Cheers :-) It is fun at the moment exploring around a new area.

And yes the little beggers sure took over. They were crazy big too some of them.