News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Why do you use us?
Hello everyone,

As the new site comes closer to launch date, we would like to know why many of you choose The Reefuge over other forums. We would like to know what attracts you to the site. It may be features, usability, the culture, etc. We need this information to know what our focus points should be. This is not just in regards to the coding of the site, but the way we run the site itself.

Thanks.

emboli

Apr 15, 2012
I use this forum not only because it is easier to use, I am able to access it via my iphone using the tapatalk app.
People here seem friendlier, closer knit and more helpful and this is a bonus too.
The forum is also very clean and polished.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
100% Culture. To be honest, as a forum they are all pretty much the same. I am a moderator on a few other forums, both fish and non fish, and they are all the exact same. The only difference is the people. We can have a laugh here as well as talk seriously without anyone putting someone down for being new, making a mistake or not having a top of the line tank etc. Its a nice relaxed place to be with noone judging you or just telling you to search Google or posting a link as an answer.

Told lads and lasses, its what drew and draws me back 43 times per day..

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
My story comes in two parts - 1) Why I started using TR, and 2) Why I continue to do so.

1) I was/am an active member on a US based forum, which is huge and an amazing resource, also focused on my area of interest (Nano/Pico). But I found myself often frustrated at the US focus - tried starting a thread on there for Aussie reefers (there were a few who responded but it got drowned out). So I looked to Australia.
- First stop - MASA. I am a member there and I think I have a whole 3 posts ... there is very little I like about the site - it is big, dated and cumbersome and maybe due to its size has very little interaction on TJs etc. Two things I do love though are the classifieds (have never bought anything through them yet, but often view) and the business forums where LFS and others promote new products and services.
- Second search found a few others - fishforum.com.au is one that looks large, but requires sign up to view, and instant repellent for me.
- Then, and I can't actually remember how, I came here. As someone who has designed and run websites and forums before the site design and usability was attractive to me, and I liked the fact that the forum was relatively small.

2) I stick around because I like the people, I am getting the Australian focus I desired, and even more than that, the local VIC/Melbourne focus and hte opportunity to meet people and share info.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
My story comes in two parts - 1) Why I started using TR, and 2) Why I continue to do so.

1) I was/am an active member on a US based forum, which is huge and an amazing resource, also focused on my area of interest (Nano/Pico). But I found myself often frustrated at the US focus - tried starting a thread on there for Aussie reefers (there were a few who responded but it got drowned out). So I looked to Australia.
- First stop - MASA. I am a member there and I think I have a whole 3 posts ... there is very little I like about the site - it is big, dated and cumbersome and maybe due to its size has very little interaction on TJs etc. Two things I do love though are the classifieds (have never bought anything through them yet, but often view) and the business forums where LFS and others promote new products and services.
- Second search found a few others - fishforum.com.au is one that looks large, but requires sign up to view, and instant repellent for me.
- Then, and I can't actually remember how, I came here. As someone who has designed and run websites and forums before the site design and usability was attractive to me, and I liked the fact that the forum was relatively small.

2) I stick around because I like the people, I am getting the Australian focus I desired, and even more than that, the local VIC/Melbourne focus and hte opportunity to meet people and share info.
fishforum.com.au is one I moderate, very little marine activity there mate 99% freshwater

V

'vspec'

The people are pretty cool here, realisticly though, you get your cool people every where.
The site itself is the kicker for me, its fresh, its advanced, and given the maid cleans up after my midnight chundering session
puke.gif
, I can say it has its perks.

Seeing from the other side of the fence, its a great source of amusement watching you monkeys switching feet all the time as we rip the rug out from under you and replace it with something else
lookround.gif
, but hang in there, its definitely going to be worth it guys.
Plus I need my daily laugh to continue a little bit longer before we flick the switch for good ~ thus killing my entertainment
VJester.gif

Keep the draw cards coming guys, we genuinely want to hear why you enjoy being here

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Something I love about this site is that anyone can volunteer to assist the site operation/content and are regularly invited to as well. Everyone is on an equal footing here no matter their experience level. Our leader shows humility in thinking only of giving members what they want and is progressive in his thinking, which keeps things interesting ;)

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
100% culture as well - I am a member of a few larger sites where you get drowned out in the crowd. I use a number of sites for info but generally only post here. thereefuge community make new people feel welcome, encourage regular banter and conversation, and help each other out. I've only been here a couple of months and have already met 2 members in person, have received freebies to help me along, and have been able to offer help as well. Very good forum functionality to allow me to do that, but it's mainly the people that keeps me returning.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
A common thing here seems to be culture. That's what brings me back. I've joined up with most of the forums mentioned, but I didn't find the levels of culture I found here.
I like the fact everyone can drop a post without being treated like a twit. And if there seems to be something wrong, people aren't afraid to offer constructive advice, rather then "Na. That won't work. Start again."

My thoughts
1) its local and gives the ability to meet other people close to you with the same hobby, in turn giving advice not only on the hobby but heaps of things including thoughts on the local aquarium stores.

2) cheap things :) you must admitt we all check out the things people are selling here!
I have since joining a month ago got 2 x peppermint shrimp for $20 Bargain! and some duncans and mushys very very cheaply compared to the LFS

3) the knowledge in forums and very knowledgable people who endevour to help.

4) the people - they seem to want to help rather then sit and judge and laugh...ha ha ha

Ps I am not a member nor have I looked into becoming a member of the "other sites" this is for me a one stop shop.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
+1 to all above. Much nicer than the larger forums and no bickering and posts getting locked all over the place. The alert button is :cool:

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
i like the fact that you can upload pitchers sooo easy and that i can pay out on LEG-IT and send him pm's
telling him hes Gay.......

V

'vspec'

Of course, thats the whole reason why we did it, so you can pay out on leg-it.
What..... I'm being serious! He deserves a little back for subjecting us to the burnout fan club signature series:)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
+1 to all the posts above AND also the fact that we can go off topic and have fun without being rapped over our knuckles or sent to the principals office for caning_ oh I forgot they're not allowed to do that anymore

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
"sent to the principals office for caning_ oh I forgot they're not allowed to do that anymore" bummer but then again if I was still in school I could be in even more trouble as I think I'm getting to be a masochist!

I fully agree with all of the reasons stated by others, I too am a member on a couple of other sites and they can be interesting and helpfull but almost lack the enthusiasm found here. Lol I got a warning for a post on a US site for voicing my opinion ( gasp! and I didn't even swear!) , not sure if me mentioning that it must only be yanks that had the freedom of speech or not but they locked me out for a week. Then banned when my first post back was for them to piss off :D.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
For me there's a few things that keep me coming back (although I've been a little scarce lately).
1. As mentioned above the culture here is second to none. I've been a member of a few other forums (freshy, automotive and marine) and NONE have the atmosphere TR has.
2. Being able to express my knowledge to those who genuinely take an interest in it. I have enjoyed setting up and adding the content I have and also being encouraged to continue to do so is great! I started adding content to another marine site, after weeks of negotiations with the content team on that site, had some of my content removed (not edited, and not advised it had been removed and for what reason), gave them a big middle finger and a blasting and never been back there since.
3. The sites layout is so far advanced for any forum I've viewed so far, the unique features and the admins willingness to turn to us, the members, for insight into how to further push the site along is excellent. A huge well done goes out to The Reefuge for being an honest and open admin and to the rest of the mods and content team and all the members for the same!

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
".Lol I got a warning for a post on a US site for voicing my opinion ( gasp! and I didn't even swear!) , not sure if me mentioning that it must only be yanks that had the freedom of speech or not but they locked me out for a week. Then banned when my first post back was for them to piss off :D.
I have been a member of overseas sites - other than fish or animal related - and I like the fact that we can be ourselves. One US site i was a member of, banned another Australian woman for using the phrase "your blood is worth bottling". They thought it was a sick thing to say, which says more about them than her, if you think about it. They refused to believe its actually a common Australian compliment and banned her.
I am a member of fishforums.net (the international site) - I joined because my sister is a long time member and often posts stuff on there. I don't post much on there anymore because of the attitude to newbies and the die-hard "I am RIGHT" type of advice.
If you suggest anything that goes against the general forum belief about fish keeping, you get howled down. People keep posting the same old advice without looking outside the box for advances in the areas asked about. How can you be new and innovative if you ignore any advice that isn't what you were taught 20 yrs ago?
I am interested in new ways to do things, thinking up new solutions and learning about the topics that interest me and if a newbie tells me they have found a new way to do something, then I want to know all about it!! And if an old hand tells me of a little known trick then I want to know that too!!
This site allows and encourages both types of information exchange and in a friendly, non-competitive, non-ego-based manner.
Like attracts like, especially so in the virtual world and members that the other sites lose due to their own stuffy, narrow view, we gain as valued members.
oh and the trophies a pretty cool too :p