Help / Suggestions

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I see your point rusty maybe we could use the online side to our benifit and have it divided into sections soft easy lps hard lps easy sps hard sps mushrooms rics zoas and once again you get what you give so if I have 10 frags of a particular zoa then I can only take zoas etc etc

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I dont see it working as an online thing at all.

I help set up a frag swap program when I was in MASQ and it was not successful. To the time I left I do not think a frag had been returned.

People looked at it as a free coral rather than an education on what they can and cant grow.

How do you control it online? Can some 1 give a frag of Xenia and expect a toxic hammer frag or a SPS in return? Something their system is simply not capable of handling?
i have to agree with this. i can only see it working locally as a swap between member and member. one frag may be of more value of the other.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Yea as a swap would work - but then it gets away from the original purpose as a way to 'help' new people or people who are struggling for money. I think the only way it will work is maybe to get a register that you can list the frags you have, and what you would like in return - then its up to the two people to work out a 'fair' (as deemed by both parties) trade.

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
Yea as a swap would work - but then it gets away from the original purpose as a way to 'help' new people or people who are struggling for money. I think the only way it will work is maybe to get a register that you can list the frags you have, and what you would like in return - then it's up to the two people to work out a 'fair' (as deemed by both parties) trade.
Isnt that just a classified system which we have now?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Personally I dont believe anyone should get freebies for not swapping for something they have. I have seen more and more people sell "free items" and I think it is disgracefull, opinions ?

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
As is they take the free item and then resell it for profit ? That's fucked ! Sorry bout the language but it is !

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It certainly does discourage the sense of community and gestures of good will.

I stopped giving things away on RTAW because of this and alot of the time threw things in the bin because I would rather do that than see that happen.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I think a members only forum in the classifieds dedicated to frags may work and members offer them for sale or trade. Maybe in the classifeids the Mr R is working on a frag section could be implemented.

But in the vain of this thread and in an effort to build a really good community here offer them at a very reasonable price as good will towards other members. Selling them is good to because it puts some cash back in the sellers pocket (after all this hobby isnt cheap) and also putting a price on them is good cause newbies like me have nothing to trade or maybe nothing of value to the seller. Shipping can be paid for buy the customer if the person is comfortable shipping.

Everything is workable if people want it to be.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
It certainly does discourage the sense of community and gestures of good will.

I stopped giving things away on RTAW because of this and alot of the time threw things in the bin because I would rather do that than see that happen.
I used to give stuff away too. Then realized people were selling it!

It is really unfortunate how some people ruin it for the larger group.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
A few people would regift the corals, macro, snails etc once they got established and its funny usually you ended up as mates with those people and will end up helping each other out whenever the need arises.

But on RTAW I think for every 10 things you would gift i estimate 3 would end up on the classifieds later, 5 likely died, 1 would disaprear off the planet and maybe 1 would regift if they had similar sucess.

Unfortunetly I havnt seen anybody regift anything ive given them on here (yet, but i am still hopeful), but there has already been an instance of reselling with the person saying "it spit so many times, it went crazy" three weeks after they were given freshly cut frags, that normally take two weeks to heal. Even giving them the benifit of the doubt that this somehow happened, you would generally hope they would share their good fortune in the same light they recived the coral.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Anybody that sells something they were given are just plain rude.....

But i dont think that is a reason not to keep going you just know better than to deal with that person again.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Onselling a gift - thats pretty slack - I would hope that if they did onsell it the money went straight back to the original gift giver. I unfortuantly dont have any corals to swap as of yet but am always interested in cheap frags in the local area. Even just a data base of what frags are where and we can go from there in working out a *currency* or trade system.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

As some of you may have read in another thread the new likes system is for another section of the site and I only added in the buttons for fun. This is only for testing at the moment. There are plans for new sections of this site which will be used for frag swaps, and this likes system will be used to track how many items a person has received and how many they have given away.

By doing this, anyone without a minimum count of zero will not be able to receive more frags. If they are in the negatives, they will need to give away the same amount of frags to be able to receive more. If they are above zero, they will be able to take as many as they like until their frag count goes back to zero.

All users will be able to see this information so they know who they should be giving frags to. Buyer pays postage. That is the idea right now. Ideas are welcome to improve this system.

Thanks.