Help / Suggestions

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
In 6 months once Nils tank grows out I dare say he will be the king of frags!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
The frag ones sounds good....... Like a massive swap fest...... You can only get as many frags as you put in the kitty so if I put in 10 frags of one type then I can get one frag off 10 people :-)

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
all great ideas - any help is always a good thing. the frag idea is brilliant - frags are always a big help. Also Live rock could be donated - i know a lot of people chuck out or dry out live rock beacuse they dont need it. Live rock is one of those things that takes a long time to develop and so donating it to a new tank set up would be a big help. I think also simple things like breeding CUC (turbos etc) and curing live rock/sand to donate to new reefs would be a great way to help kick start new reefers tanks. A lot of people wouldnt anticipate the $100's (and sometimes 1000's) of dollars spent on rock so having some that could be donated to seed base rock would save people a lot of money/time.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
With the frag swapping postage would just be the responsibility of the "purchaser"...... For arguments sake if it was running and I had 4-5 frags in a particular city I wanted I might ask some one livin in that city to help me collect and post them and pay them some petty cash for their time..... In the end it still works out in my favour as I'm not paying for the frags and I'd have to pay postage either way :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I think the cash idea is not workable... Too many problems that could cause some seriously bad blood if someone gets their nose out of joint when things dont go their way! Having said that it is a brilliant idea but I dont see how it could work... Some ideas;

1. Wants and needs... No one needs a fish tank and I mean no one! We all have them because we love them and for what ever reason we want them. To say you need a piece of equipment doesnt sit right with me!

2. I think that instead of handing over cash you would be better off giving them a voucher for use in a particular store online or LFS or provide the piece of equipment that they profess to "need".

3. I want a couple of pieces of new equipment, a skimmer, LED's and a dosing pump. I wouldnt feel right asking other members to contribute to my hobby as for me its quite a personal pursuit and everything I can build myself I have/will (albeit on a TIGHT!!! budget) and it makes me feel like I have achieved something special. My tank has been running for about 7 months and still needs work and equipment to get it where I want it but thats my problem!

4. The idea of a "Used equippment library" I think this is brilliiant and would love to see this in action... Members can add any piece of used but serviceable equipment onto a register and any user can apply to borrow/hire/buy said equipment, then at the discretion of a committee the object will be sent(at the recipients cost) or collected from the owner.

5. The frag club would be great. I think that even with the cost of postage if you are getting more than 1 frag then you will be ahead compared to what most LFS charge even for cheap corals! I would definately be signing up!

If this idea gets off the ground I will volunteer to manage/assist with the frag club/epuipment library but not so keen on the cash grant idea...

I love these ideas and this is why I love this community! I will think some more about this and post some more later but I have to go out now.

Jack.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
The more I think about it the more it seems that the cash pool idea will not work its GOING to cause fights... The used equipment and frag club are def doable tho and I also am willing to help with the day to day running of these if mods see me as fit to do so :)

Puffy#79

Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle
I'm happy with all the ideas to. All excellent add ons to an original idea sitting on the shit house lol.
My intentions to generate hard thought to a potentially viable program that saves us all money has worked.
Good work guys, let's get these things of the ground.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Here we go...

Reefuge frag club.

I would like to see "membership" kept open to all reefuge members so that people without any frags to begin with can start to build their collections. But I would also like to see members recieving frags to make a goodwill gesture of some kind to the donator.

I think access to the frag club section/thread should be only available to members with a minimum of ~50 posts.

I think that when a frag is listed in the club section we will need to have a template to list it with availability dates and during that time I wouldnt like to see the frag offered to anyone outside of the club thread.

also in the template the title would have the coral type(sps,lps,softy), location/state and a brief description.

more to come... as I think of it!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Equipment Library.

Similar to the frag club I think that "membership" should be kept open to all with a minimum post count of approx 50.

like the sale/trade section you should be able to list your piece of used equipment with either an "available" or "wanted" prefix.

There is potential for people to do wrong by others in this area so I think we would need to be very strict with the "rules" for taking part in this system. Someone would probably have to keep a close eye on this area.

There would need to be some terms negotiated between the 2 parties and there should be a framework/policy to work with and keep everything transparent.

I would like to see all but the final negotiation to happen in a public forum so that everyone is aware of where people stand and if any alarm bells start going off there will be more than 1 person to hear them!

It needs to be made clear by the person offer an item up for loan what their expectations are in regard to how the item treated, and how long you are happy for them to keep it.

Some items may be worthy of some kind of bond or guarantee.... But I dont know how to make this work...

Thats all I can think of at the moment. I am getting tired and my brain is wandering too much!

All of my ideas are for consideration and need some work I know but Im just trying to get the ball rolling on this as I think its a great idea. If you think of anything or think some of my ideas can be tweaked for the better let me know on here.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a tired fool!
Jack.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
He is busy planning his next Rimless Adventure!
correct :D minds very busy at the moment!.
heres the summery of my thoughts
money donating from members for other members to buy gear NO, it would never work. i dont think i have to explain why.
Lending gear to members that help with the growth of the website, now that could work.
rather then lending the gear to a member that has x amount of posts. Articles/ information could be traded for time to use equipment :)
or we could also see the credit system put into play.

Frag trades work well locally but interstate makes it alot more difficult. often is is not worth the effort to pack and send the corals (not putting down the idea just being realistic)

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
So 50 posts and members can ask for frags?

I can not see that working very well. What about ensuring there system is capable of handling said frag for starters?

These types of ideas are hard enough to control via meeting members in person let alone via a forum.

Sorry man, can not see this working out too well.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
So 50 posts and members can ask for frags?

I can not see that working very well. What about ensuring there system is capable of handling said frag for starters?

These types of ideas are hard enough to control via meeting members in person let alone via a forum.

Sorry man, can not see this working out too well.
Wow.... Shot down!

How could it be made to work then? What would a member have to do to become a member of the "frag club"?

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I thInk that a "you can only take what you give" policy.... When TRADING frags you get given credits for frags added to the library and use said credits to purchase other frags.... Left as a first come first sered basis and if postage is needed then that has to be organised between the seller and purchaser by pm.....

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
so give to be given. that sounds better then just having free access to corals. more like a coral swap then give away

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
Wow.... Shot down!

How could it be made to work then? What would a member have to do to become a member of the "frag club"?

I dont see it working as an online thing at all.

I help set up a frag swap program when I was in MASQ and it was not successful. To the time I left I do not think a frag had been returned.

People looked at it as a free coral rather than an education on what they can and cant grow.

How do you control it online? Can some 1 give a frag of Xenia and expect a toxic hammer frag or a SPS in return? Something their system is simply not capable of handling?