Reef Discussion

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Zeovit user thread.
Having recently started zeovit, I would like to see if there are other members who run zeovit systems.
Cheers

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
I've run modifications of it for quite some time, I love it. I'm even in the process of transitioning my pico to a modification of it as we speak. Why do I like it? Because it allows you to do a lot that other ways of managing a reef do not. It's a knife-edge and a hell of a tricky system to get right, but it's a good feeling when you do.

Carbon systems 4 life, wooo.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Already did: http://www.thereefuge.com/threads/zeovit-uln-and-wonder-tonics.503/

But, to summarise that thread, there's a notion that more is always more in the reefkeeping fraternity. With ZEOvit the opposite is true - more will overcook things and generally lead you to all sorts of problems. Also the lack of patience for results doesn't help much either. Annnndddd... alkalinity really needs to be kept stable. The smallest fluctuation puts you on a razor's edge.

As to the benefits... increased colouration and growth would be the two biggest ones here. Generally the corals are more vital and exhibit wonderful colouration providing all else is in check... if you know what you're doing as a baseline, ZEO can unlock a type of reef display you couldn't otherwise achieve.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hi Ben,

I have been extensively searching for a suitable salt for my system. I have a bucket of Tropic Marin Pro reef for my next set of water changes. However my concerns are to do with relatively high kH. The manufacturer says it will disolve at 9dkH.
As I am still in the early stages of this system and would like to keep the kH within zeovit parameters, any idea of a suitable salt product?

Cheers!

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Pro Reef was designed specific for carbon systems so it should mix to about 6.8dKH, are you sure you aren't reading the parameters for the standard TM salt? As for what salt options there are, BrightWell Aquatics NeoMarine, the new Red Sea normal salt (apparently), and of course, Korallen-Zucht Reefers Best. I personally ran it with NSW as getting good supplies of any quality salt with the right levels of alk is a task in this country.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Every time I've used TM Pro Reef it's mixed up to under 7.5, put it that way. I found Magnesium tends to be slightly down, around 1200 or so. Might be worth it to mix up 5L or so of it and give it a test.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Ben what additives would you recommend for a full blown zeovit tank,

Eg Lps system
Sps system.

It might give other people some inspiration on what is suitable,

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Part of the problem is... ZEO is a very personal system. Aside from the baselines with the basic 4, every system will have different needs based on what corals are present, what's being dosed, how water is being changed/what source it is, etc, etc... it's really hard to say. But, as generalisations once you hit stage 2 (low dissolved organics):

SPS: Pohl's Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acid High Concentrate, SpongePower, Potassium Iodide Fluoride Concentrate, Iodide Complex Concentrate, K-Balance, B-Balance, Pohl'x Xtra Concentrate.
LPS/Mixed: Pohl's Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acid LPS, SpongePower, K-Balance.
NPS: Pohl's Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acid High Concentrate, SpongePower, Amino Acid LPS, Pohl'x Xtra Concentrate.

All tanks should really be using Coral Snow, ZEOzym, and BioMate in addition to their basic 4, however these are as with all things entirely optional. They do help immensely however. As with anything within ZEOvit, all additions need to be applied very sparingly and once additional element at a time - adding in more than one thing at a time makes it harder to observe the impact each has and tune them to match your system's needs. K-Balance, B-Balance, PIF, and JOD all need to be used very sparingly and observed closely as these are actual trace ions and not foods - and can have quite a negative impact on system health if applied incorrectly.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
ZEOvit tank always look so colourful !!! does anyone
have a DIY tanks journal sort of thing for how they set up theirs?
thanks
TIm
Check out my tj mate,
I have kept a diary and will post up how I started zeovit in my tank journal soon, with the dosing of products. Or you can download the user guide from the zeovit forum.
I did not post any info about dosing incase my tank stuffed up, but I am really confident now that all is well in my tank....

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have been running my tank without a skimmer however it has finally arrived!
I was running a TMSea Zeovit reactor in the mean time. And carbon in a bag.
My Hanna Phosphate Checker gave me the following results with my zeo adventure.
week 1 0.51 week 2 0.50 week 3 0.31 and now we are on week 4 with 0.21
Happy days!!!!! with Protein skimmer added I am sure the results will please

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Nice work mate :)
I take it your not using GFO ? , I'm thinking about trying Zeobac instead of bio digest as a bacteria culture ,
The Bio digest is $33 just for shipping :( with out the cost of the product :eek:

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
ZEObak eats BioDigest for the strains it introduces IME. Also, seems to last a lot longer too. God bless droppers!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hi luke, I am running only zeolites and drops from the blue bottles, no GFO....that would be cheating the system.
As you can see it took a couple of weeks for the bac to kick it and colonise the zeolites.
I just noticed my first coralline algea in my tank, it will be mass outbreak soon of the coralline,
Love the zeovit....my tanks never looked this clear before.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Good to know ZEObak is better than BioDigest :) I just bought some , While i was there i got some Zeostart 3
I guess when it comes i should remove the Biopellets that i have , Or at least cut right down on the addition on the ZeoStart , Not sure which i will do yet ,
Do you guys think i should remove the Rowaphos ? I'm not going to use the Zeolites themselves just ZEObak and zeostart ,
Or will it be like the Prodibio , Good for nitrate but needs an extra hand for phosphate ?

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I'm thinking about trying out the zeolites now , Just to be able to ditch the Rowa for a while .

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
They all work together as a system....but many people do things differently.... Zeo takes time too, its not like GFO and others, after a zeolite change my phos went up by 0.03 points as the bacteria gained a foothold of the zeolites again , a week later it went down by 0.07 points it currently is a 0.17

Zeo kicks butt!!! And is more gentle to your system than a rapid phos reduction result.