Tank Journal Archive

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
BIG changes coming soon. Gonna go pick up a 4x2x1.25 400 litre tank this weekend, then my 130D is going to be sold off, the 57 is getting a new stand and moved to where the 130D is and the 400 will go where the 57 is now. Everyone follow all that shit? Now I'm off to buy more substrate.

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
So, Clark (the blackmouth damsel) decided to grow a massive chip on his shoulder and has been terrorizing the royal gramma (who we named Gomer) and has the Randalls goby so freaked out that I've only seen him once since he was added to the tank. Gomer has since decided to hide in the overflow...should be loads of fun getting him out of there.

Therefore, we have decided to do a bit of a rescape on the cube, and chuck old Clark's arse into the 57, where he can have his little butt kicked by Farmer John (whose nickname is now the Enforcer!).

Not sure exactly why Clark decided to turn into a jackwagon....it happened very suddenly. Before these 2 new guys arrived, he was pretty docile, but now he's a flaming ass! I'm kinda bummed about it, I really like this guy, but jeez, the attitude!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Been messing around adding small amounts of Reef Plus to the food. Most corals REALLY respond to it. The only one that turns its nose up is an Aussie Lobophyllia. Anyone have any insight into that? I mixed 1ml water, 1ml Reef Plus and 1ml Fauna Marin Ricordea food. I found the LPS food was too big and was getting rejected more often than being eaten. Everyone else scarfed it down with gusto, the Physogyra, Wellsophyllia, Galaxea, Duncans Lord Howe Acans, zoos and palys ate it right up.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We found the Randal's goby last night, resilient little critter to deal with that. We still need to get the Royal Gramma out of the weir. He's safe and eating there so I've made no attempt to retrieve him.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Started on the new lighting fixture for this cube, if it works, gonna do one for mine as well. 2x84w DSunY LED full spectrum panels and 4x 24w 2' T5 bulbs. Dunno what colour combo yet, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Uggh, snowed today and temps will be hovering in the -5 to -20 degree range for the next 2 weeks, hood's on hold for a bit.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hopefully that is C and not F!

New tank sounds awesome, look forward to seeing it progress.

Your story about hte damsel is one of the reasons I'll never get one, hear that kind of thing too many times, though I know some are generally peaceful.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
At least they didn't break the bag as well lol postal services can be so shit sometimes!
They're gonna eat it and ship me a new bucket of salt. The damn blue Red Sea salt has become a nightmare to get here. I also found a guy that has had ritteris split in his tank, gonna go see him Saturday to see if I see anything that might help me in my quest to tank raise these guys.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
They're gonna eat it and ship me a new bucket of salt. The damn blue Red Sea salt has become a nightmare to get here. I also found a guy that has had ritteris split in his tank, gonna go see him Saturday to see if I see anything that might help me in my quest to tank raise these guys.
haha I'd be doing the same!
Are you going to see what he's doing or buy one of his split nems?

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Well, turned out the guy with the ritteris sold them all, so that was a bust.

In the better news department, not only has the Randall's goby survived, he has finally found his shrimp, and is now living in the tunnel with it! Yay!!! I decided to name the goby Charlie, since he is a lot tougher than he looks, and managed to survive getting the living shit beat out of him. (My first boxer was named Charlie, and those were two of his biggest characteristics...so around here, the name is earned, not awarded.)

Looks like we will be adding another tank soon. Rob's going to pick up a 93 gallon cube tomorrow, so next project in the works is a new stand, and trying to figure out where the heck to put this sucker.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We added some critters here and to the 57. M got a new Emerald crab and a Zanzibar boxing shrimp. I got 3 Spiny Reef Chromis and a Royal Gramma.

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Been a while since we updated. Thinking about doing a bit of re-scaping in the near future, there's a lot of fairly large things in the cube that need to be moved around to make space for other things.

The 3 GBTA's don't help matters much.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The lightning function came on on the 57, scared the living shit out of me and M, lol. Good thing there wasn't anyone around with epilepsy, they'd have had a seizure for sure.

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Figured it was about time to update (I'm not so good with it).

We (finally) installed the fuge, and it really seems to be helping in the nasty hair algae department. The amount has dramatically decreased, and what's still there is easily picked off. It's a bit more difficult to do in this tank vs the 34 litre, because I could actually reach the bottom of that tank....this one, even standing on a step stool, I can barely reach!

My clowns are fighting, too. I don't get it...in the small tank, where they seemed all crowded (I really had too many fish in there), everyone got along great. Now that they have more space, they all hate each other! The female clown (Bonnie) is the worst, she is a real bitch!

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Update time (once a month, lol).

We've had a few changes in this tank recently. First is that about a week ago, one of my GBTAs decided to split twice...so now I'm up to 5! These guys are nuts, but luckily very saleable so as soon as they heal up, they may be looking for new homes.

The 2 trumpet frags have begun growing again, they've both added a few polyps. As soon as they get a tad bigger, it'll be time to frag them again.

Tonite we finally caught the Black mouth damsel; he's now living in the fuge (after a temporary pit stop on the floor!). He had started terrorizing everybody in the cube...to he point that my female percula was hiding in the GBTA and not eating. As soon as we got him out of there, she came out and ate everything in sight. The damsel may eventually go into the live rock tank to live out his days, as long as he survives his trip to floor city, He seems a little stressed, but otherwise ok.
I haven't recently seen the Randalls goby or his pistol shrimp, or the Zanzibar coral banded since the day we put him in there. Not sure if dead, or just MIA.

My acans are doing very well, and have added a few new polyps too, so it looks like whatever weird hoodoo we had going on in there is over with now. All tests came back WNL, so we know for sure what WASN'T going on. Doesn't help much in the "WTF do my corals look like poop" department though, but that seems to have resolved with water changes.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Snagging Clark was about as lucky as it gets, lol. I remember chasing critters in the 240 for months to try to get them out.