Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
3 possiblilities:
1. It has just eaten and this has caused distortion to the soft part of the polyp (probable);
2. it has entrapped air (unlikely);
3. It is ready to spawn (possible)
It's hard to see in the pic but it has a white head to it, it does look like a pimple. In fact one of the othe stems has one stating also.
Guess I'll just sit back and wait for it to pop.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
3 possiblilities:
1. It has just eaten and this has caused distortion to the soft part of the polyp (probable);
2. it has entrapped air (unlikely);
3. It is ready to spawn (possible)
It looks just like a pimple with white head on it, in fact one of the other stems has one starting also.
Guess I'll just wait for it to pop.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Day 2 for my new fish, doing well seems to like the tank, doesn't look stressed at all, eating well on mysis shrimp. (Actually I had been watching his condition in the LFS for a week or two before I got him). He's found a good hiding spot in the rocks where he sleeps of a night.
I read that they jump more than what I was told at the LFS so I made a simple mesh cover for when I'm not around. The tank is right beside me as I work in my office all day so I don't need it on during that time. Just a bit of black mesh screen that holds it's own shape and still lets the light and air/fan in and is just removed when I don't need it. Simple - just like me.

mesh.jpg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Well, my Yasha has just reached it's 3 month anniversary (?).
All is going really well.
I haven't lost any stock yet. In fact most of the corals have grown quite well.
Had a small issue with red slim algae but I think I have that beat.
My large pink fungai is about to drop an offspring and the small green (currently grey) is still hanging on. It looks pretty sad but it still eats and poops.
The torch is getting a bit too big, may be giving away half of it soon.
Equipment wise the skimmer is performing great. The return pump can be annoying trying to get it at the correct angle given the space in the back.
I still only have the one fish, a fire gobi, he is quite trained now and comes up to the corner to get his feed of shrimp of a day.
Great little tank.

3-months.JPG

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Here's a link to a short video of the Yasha -

Anyone want to have a guess as to what these new growths are in the tank.

red coral.JPG

Cute little red thing - growing quickly - almost transparent

side coral.JPG

This is actually brown in colour the blue is from the lights. Thin and wafer like. Also fast growing.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
The red one is called Nemastoma-have it in mine too( mantis did knock it off recently but still seems to be growing without a holdfast-)if you feel it it is quite rubbery. very beautiful though
Nice tank:D

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Anyone know what this little snail is? It's about 5mm long.
It's getting busy in there with all the new things coming out of the rocks.
snail.JPG

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
hey dave this tank still running ? im about to start up a yasha in a couple of weeks and was wondering how things fared out in the end ? like are the lights enough for all the lps ? if its still running get up a new FTS :D

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I liked my yasha so much I doubled the size (see my TG).
I still have the Yasha running but just as a back up tank for the moment. I'm working out what to do with it, maybe a frag tank.
By all means get one, they are a great little tank. Excellent build and equipment - in fact I stole the skimmer for my bigger tank.
I only ran softies in the yasha, only through personal choice. The lights were really good and I was getting coral growth.
Post some pics when you get it going, I'd be keen to see.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Yeah I'm gunna do a proper tj for it once i get it ! got some Fiji pink sand and some aquaroche rock for it ! Big thanks to Nicd for them :)