Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Added some corals to the tank today. Starting to look really good. I'm still amazed at how well this little system handles everything you throw in it. I'll post some new pics tomorrow when I sober up.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Starting to get some corals in. Trying to get pics that do them justice. The torch and blastos are doing really well. I've got some more corals in mind but might start looking for a couple of fish that would suit the tank.:)

Yasha-12.jpg

Torch is actually a really deep green

Yasha-13.jpg

Nice little green mushroom sitting up on top

Yasha-14.jpg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Ordered a RO/DI filter system from psifilters today, got sick of paying 50c L at the LFS. Looking forward to having a constant supply of my own.
The son's also looking forward to brewing some excellent beer!!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Ordered a RO/DI filter system from psifilters today, got sick of paying 50c L at the LFS. Looking forward to having a constant supply of my own.
The son's also looking forward to brewing some excellent beer!!
I hope you got a good deal, and mentioned The Reefuge??

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Rics don't grow up on stalks like that - from the photo it looks more like a leather coral.

Can you get a closer picture?
I'll try and get a better pic tomorrow when the lights come back on.
I looked up leather corals and I think that makes more sense.;)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
My RO/DI unit arrived today. Started filling my drums.
Got a surprise though, thought I would test the RO water I had been buying at the LFS (50c L) and it had a reading of 120:mad: The same as my tap water at home:(. What a bloody ripoff.
Never mind, at least I know what I'm putting in the system now. :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, better pic indicates it is a Majano anemone (Anemonia cf. majano). Although considered a pest because they spread rapidly by fission and outcompete corals for space (and also sting corals) they are very beautiful. Under certian situations (in reef systems with good water quality and good nutrient export systems, they do not tend to become a problem as they generaly remain as an isolated polyp without multiplying.

If you like it, keep it and watch it for issues (ie. rapid multiplication). If you want to get rid of it, I am sure that there are hobbiest on this forum that would be more than happy to give it a home in a fish only aquarium where it will not causse issues.

P.S. they look great when they host sexy shrimp or anemone crabs.