Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Back at the start of this thread I was advised by LFSdirect to remove the PhosGuard bag I have in the back because it would harm the corals. The LFS where I bought it have a yasha setup in the shop and they have it in their's (for about a month) and say it does no harm and that it doesn't need to be removed. They have a heap of corals in their's. What do you think? And does it have any relation to the green hair algae that is appearing in my tank?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Made a visit to Reef Secrets yesterday . . . WOW . . . reef candy!!
Picked up a cleaning crew - 1 Strom, 3 White Glove shrimp, 1 Peppermint shrimp & 3 Turbo snails. They got to work straight away - doing a n amazing job!!
Also got 2 Fungia corals - I fed them a bit of prawn today, boy did they appreciate that, they really look great now, they were a bit "constricted" before. Just needed a feed.
I've added some pics, not great still working out camera settings.
The tank is absolutely thriving. Anyone interested in one of these should get one - great setup.
Yasha-8.jpg

Thats Garry the strom eyeballing while having a feed
Yasha-10.jpg

Yasha-9.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what did you think of the store? darrens a great guy looks like you picked up some realy nice corals! :D

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
what did you think of the store? darrens a great guy looks like you picked up some realy nice corals! :D
The store is brilliant, certainly worth the drive, I'll go back for my next corals and fish. Darren was great, I let him guide me in what he thought would be a good start.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Bit puzzled about one of the fungia I put in on the weekend. The purple one is going gang-busters, loves abit of prawn and is looking really healthy. The green one has "clamped" right down. It loved some prawn when I gave it some on the weekend and looked really good, all puffed up and wavy. But now it's looking sad, I know it's not dead because there is a tiny bit of movement in the tentacles. Is there anything I should be doing for it?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Do you have a picture? Edited ;)

I would just give it time before you start getting too concerned. It was possibly in the ocean a week ago under conditions quite a lot different to what you are now providing. Plates primarily rely on the zooxanthellae for their food requirements although they will take small amounts of food - perhaps try something smaller next time i.e. mysid shrimp, brine shrimp etc

Where is yours located - they like moderate to strong light and moderate flow.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'll wait and see what happens with it and try some small feeds The lighting is good for it where it is. The flow is kinda light at the bottom of the tank because of the way the nanoprop is positioned (can't be directed downwards any more. I was looking at getting a Hydor Koralia Nano 900 and placing it towards the bottom to give better flow. I don't think it would be too much, I can always restrict the flow with some rock setup. What do you think?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Will do. It's really strange that the larger purple one next to it is thriving.
But you don't know where they were collected from - they may have come from completely different locations.

You could take someone from Iceland and another from Vanuatu - drop them both in Antarctica - one is going to adapt quicker than the other ;)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
But you don't know where they were collected from - they may have come from completely different locations.

You could take someone from Iceland and another from Vanuatu - drop them both in Antarctica - one is going to adapt quicker than the other ;)
Fair enough

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hey Dave. I have a wicked red and black fungia , weird thing is all day every day it is sucked in and looks like its on it's way out. Yet every night it comes out in full. Plump and healthy has been doing this for 6 months now. Not sure what the go is !

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Fungias can be a bit tricky while they are getting established, Ive had ones that have looked like they have completly died ( pure white no signs of life) within three weeks of being put in there and after my swearing etc I have chucked it in the sump as LR rubble and then two months later looked in the sump and had a seemly thriving fungia, jammed on its side, with bad lighting, no flow and being chocked by macro.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Fungias can be a bit tricky while they are getting established, Ive had ones that have looked like they have completly died ( pure white no signs of life) within three weeks of being put in there and after my swearing etc I have chucked it in the sump as LR rubble and then two months later looked in the sump and had a seemly thriving fungia, jammed on its side, with bad lighting, no flow and being chocked by macro.
It's certainly not dead, it seems to look a little better at night.
Maybe I should put in a postal bag and send it to you NiCd and you can throw it in your sump for me for a couple of months :D

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
with my neglect it may scare it straight and it will start behaving once you get it back :)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Did a bit of aquascaping the other day, put a bit more live rock in. Took a bit of sand/gravel out to compensate and not loose water volumn.
Rearranged the rock to give me some better platforms for when I start to put some decent corals in (no offence fungias).
The new rock knocked the water parameters around a little bit for about 24 hrs, all came back quickly.
This morning's tests read:
Ammonia - 0
pH - 8.2
Nitrate - 2.5
Nitrite - 0
Calcium - 420
Kh - 10
Phosphate - 0
Salinity - 35
Spec Grav - 1.026
Temp - 27.1

Here's a little video of the new layout.

Attachments