Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
So what happens next ? I've haven't been able to read anywhere exactly the order of how things progress from here. Can someone give me quick rundown?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
dave now its time to wait! give it a week or two and throw in some snails. (as long as the amonia levels are down) from date of start up to stocking date i would try wait a month. that way it allows things to establish.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
the longer you wait the easier things are in the long haul, as matt said add you cuc in a week or two once you amonia and nitrite levels are zip and you start seeing a decrease in nitrate levels (it will go up from where its at) The snails ect will start eating the algea and will poop which continues the cycle, about two weeks after that add a hardy corals (this actually helps things at this stage) if their lps start target feeding them lightly every second or third day to get the tank dealing with more nutrients and if everything is still going well add your first fish or shrimp about two weeks after that. Initially feed really lightly, bad water quality is ten times more likely to kill the fish than starvation.

Its also really important in nanos to feed high quality foods, try to steer clear of the frozen if you can and use a good quailty pellet, its much easier to simply not put excess nutrients in than it is to take them out

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thanks for the info, that sounds good. I'm quite patient and I want to give it the best chance I can.
Are there any pretty snails?:D

V

'vspec'

Didn't we have an outline walkthrough as a sticky?
This has good potential Dave. Glad to see you on the board as well bud.

Its new with 4 days and counting. You have both ammonia and considerable nitrate readings showing.
Meaning its kicked off its heals early for some reason, wait and see what your tank produces via your test kits over the coming week.
As matty mentioned, cleanup crew can then be hot on the trail once your in the green.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Any suggestions on the best coral food and fish food?
Is there anywhere in the forum where a list of the abbreviations used could be accessed? It would be really handy for newbies like myself.:confused:

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If your in sydney im happy to swing a hand full of turbos your way to get you going they are perfect for nanos because once they get breeding they tend to stay small because of the limited food source, stombs are really nice snails but they are bull dozers in nanos and need quiet a bit of sand to keep them happy. Id suggest some shrimp to add a bit of diversity to you clean up crew.

I use new life spectrum as a pellet and cyclopese to feed the corals, both a pricey but a little bit goes a long way.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If your in sydney im happy to swing a hand full of turbos your way to get you going they are perfect for nanos because once they get breeding they tend to stay small because of the limited food source, stombs are really nice snails but they are bull dozers in nanos and need quiet a bit of sand to keep them happy. Id suggest some shrimp to add a bit of diversity to you clean up crew.

I use new life spectrum as a pellet and cyclopese to feed the corals, both a pricey but a little bit goes a long way.
Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm in Brisbane. I will take your advice though.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Awsome you are surrounded by reefing mecca !

Take a drive down to reefsecrets on the gold cost if you get a chance, they are one of the few shops in australia that seem to stock turbos at a decent price, you may also look at picking up some "sexy shrimp" they would be awesome in a tank that size and just pick at the live rock, fish poop and left over food.

You wouldnt have any trouble keeping half a dozen in there and they are one of the easier shrimp to breed and raise (will need a separate tank though)

V

'vspec'

Man, look at those colours. Almost makes me want to flip a trip and just stare!!! (what ever that is! :))

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
not sure the nano can keep up filtration wise with 2 small starfish being consumed each week. also very hard to get the blues for the most part the ones in oz are a browny colour

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Tank update.
It looks like the tank has cycled already, got a full water test done with the LFS and they were amazed at how good the water readings were!!!
I lashed out and got a Trochus snail (Kevin). He's not actually the first resident, in the tank this morning there was a tiny grey shelled snail that has come out of the rock.
I made a night light with some blue LEDs from goood old JayCar and it looks really good, just a nice subtle light for a few hours of a night (on a timer).
The tank looks really healthy heaps of stuff hanging off the rock, some can be seen in the photos.
Looking for a place that's reasonably priced to buy a couple of corals. Any suggestions anyone??
Yasha-6.jpg

Yasha-5.jpg