Tank Journal Archive

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey DavidS, your live stock is doing well. The CBS have each shed since being in the tank. Second one would have been last nite. The blue tang is eating everything we throw at him, pellets, krill & mysis.
We never seen any egg's hatch from the CBS so dont know what happened there.How is the other live stock going up your way?
Hows the plumbing coming along for the IBC? I think it's time to start a TJ for the new tank! :D

K&J

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Hey DavidS, your live stock is doing well. The CBS have each shed since being in the tank. Second one would have been last nite. The blue tang is eating everything we throw at him, pellets, krill & mysis.
We never seen any egg's hatch from the CBS so dont know what happened there.How is the other live stock going up your way?
Hows the plumbing coming along for the IBC? I think it's time to start a TJ for the new tank! :D

K&J
NIce, glad to hear all is well that end. :)
Not really plumbing the IBC, but I've got a pump and hose rig that I've set up to get water out of it. Awkward to get the pump in and out, but it worked when I tested it.
Got the bits to tidy up the plumbing between tank and sump. I have a TJ for the other tank - it's in my sig. Thinking about changing that TJ to a journal of preparing for a tank :D

The stuff I bought home is going well. Haven't seen the goby for a while. Either it's gone board surfing, or it's doing a great job at hiding. Everything else is doing really well. The nano has had a serious growth surge since I moved to LED, I think the nano might actually hang around until I'm really certain the new tank is stable.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
My fluffy morph is starting to split. Probably just as well as he's getting too damned big. Gonna be interesting as they'll both be stuck to one rock... might need to buy myself a chisel me thinks. Some cyano is appearing around the acan. I can clean it, and it comes straight back. Always in the same spot. Not panicking at this stage. I had missed a water change over Christmas, so perhaps that's got something to do with it.
Rapidly running out of salt, so I may need to start weaning this over to NSW as well. I had intended to keep it on ASW until it's inhabitants move to the big tank, but my budget isn't going to appreciate a new bucket of salt just at the moment. My emergency stock of tetra marine is mixed, but I don't want to use that horse piss in my nano.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Ordered some more Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Can't bring myself to converting this tank to NSW, and I'd really like to have some salt handy. The LED was stripped down to 12 for the other tank on Saturday, and the Typhon has been relocated, so my colour balance is now at the mercy of the original RapidLED controller.
Have been getting some painful hair algae that I need to use a blade scraper on. Also, been getting some annoying cyano still. Time for another clean. When I sober up.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
dave we need pics after maintenance :D
Hell no, looks like shit since I had to drop back to 12 LEDs. :D The layout of the 12 isn't great, so you can actually tell when you look at the tank. Doesn't look as pleasing to the eye, but the tank inhabitants so far don't seem quite so bothered by it.
My acan hasn't been fully extended for the last few days, but it keeps getting cyano around it, and it's between my splitting fluffy, and my scolly that has blown up so damn big that it doesn't really fit in there any more. Really don't have anywhere else big enough to move them all now. There's a few zoos near them, but even they're too big now to go mounting somewhere else up on some rock.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Might keep it as a QT I reckon Matt G

Not really sure. I have a marisys240 skimmer/filtration all in one job I'd really like to play with, but integrating it into that cabinet will be a pain in the ass, so I may just hold on to it incase my cichlid tank ever becomes something else.

Haven't quite worked out how I'd run it as a QT - I'm guessing just leave a sponge filter in the corner of the tank with no rock or sand, and leave it running all the time so it's ready to rock when I have something to put in it for a few weeks? Tank can keep its light, heater, ato, etc.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Hahah. Cyano covered gravel that reappears faster than I remove it. 20% water changes per week, and all the coral in it is looking really good. Not too worried about the cyano issue - just keep changing water out. Limited life span left on this one, so no major concerns....

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The nano is another step closer to being shut down (damn, in 8 days it'll be one year since I started it).
Took out Benny the Blenny, the leather and the ric today. Starting to look barren in there now. Only fish left are Sook the blue green chromis and the flame angel. Coral wise, a fluffy morph, a zoa rock from Matt that has encrusted a larger chunk of rock, a bit of rubble with a few other zoas and a branch shaped rock with about a dozen morphs all over it that I'll frag once I get some tiles to mount them on :D

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The death knell is getting louder for the nano. The last two fish were removed today. All of the corals have been removed. A few bits of rock yet that I can't fit in the 4x2x2 are still left.

I'd like to sift through the sand looking for worms and the like that I can move over before I finally shut down completely. Part of me is debating turning off the light and heater once I've done that, and just leaving a couple of small power heads running. I really don't want to be doing water changes on this tank every week when it's empty, but theres that part of me that thinks I'd like it to be in a state where I can change some water, turn the heater and lights on, and have it operational enough to be a quarantine tank.

Today is 2 days short of the 1st anniversary of this tank......