Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The death knell is getting louder for the nano. The last two fish were removed today. All of the corals have been removed. A few bits of rock yet that I can't fit in the 4x2x2 are still left.

I'd like to sift through the sand looking for worms and the like that I can move over before I finally shut down completely. Part of me is debating turning off the light and heater once I've done that, and just leaving a couple of small power heads running. I really don't want to be doing water changes on this tank every week when it's empty, but theres that part of me that thinks I'd like it to be in a state where I can change some water, turn the heater and lights on, and have it operational enough to be a quarantine tank.

Today is 2 days short of the 1st anniversary of this tank......
If you turn the heaters off you will have a lot of die-off in the sandbed which will render it useless. As a QT you really do not want any sand in the tank.

If you don't want to keep it running, I would remove everything and give it a good clean out. Then, if you want to use it is a QT do a water change on the DT and use some of this water to fill the QT. Perhaps have a piece of LR in the sump to move over. Use some pieces of PVC pipe as a hiding place for the fish.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Live rock from the sump is easy. There must be at least 40kg of live rock in there :D
I might see if I can fit these last couple of bits in the sump somewhere and turn this puppy off. I have some red sea coral pro made up for the nano which I think I might actually use on the 4x2x2. I'm getting low on NSW, and I'm not inclined to get any more before May. If I run out, I still have most of a bucket left any way.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Well, it's done. It's off and it's empty. Still needs to be scrubbed out, but for all intents and purposes. This one has ended. By far the most involved aquarium adventure I'd ever had... until I upgraded.

V

'vspec'

tough call, why you shutting it down again? saves me scrolling 50 billion pages :)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Because he upgraded to a 4x2x2 :)
What he said.
I could have kept both, but damn it, that nano takes longer to maintain than the 4x2x2 :D
At least with it gone, I might move the tank out of that cabinet, which will give me two 2 foot tank gaps. Might be time for a custom 4 foot tropical f/w community to go in there :D
I really need to cull the number of tanks I have running :confused:

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
How many have you got running at the moment?
Um, I'm down to:
the 4x2x2 marine
4 foot cichlid/planted tank
2 x 2 foot tropicals - also both planted
1 x all in one cold water.

I had 2 cold waters running a while ago. I'd really like to get a 4 footer in where the nano was (bay next to it is free as well), and turn that into a tropical community, and free up the bottom 2 footers. Ideally then both can be used for QT tanks. The one cold water tank only has one fish in it, and it could happily live in a tropical tank; a 4 foot community tank would let me shut down that one as well.
Or the two 2 footers could also be ripped out, and I could put in a 4 footer in there as well, and have two 4 foot community tanks in there, and use my old all in ones for QTs :D I'd have to have a 48x30x30 to fit in the bottom though. A tad low for a 4 footer, but it would look awesome planted with a massive school of neon tetras or something :D

I love having lots of tanks, but I'm spending way too much time maintaining them all, and they all use power. Either way, I'm sick of small tanks!