Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Looks like my zoos are growing mate ;) use a blade to clean the glass close to the sand much Easyer!

V

'vspec'

Dont forget the credit card, that way you can say to the misses " I just need the card for the tank" and get away with it every time..lol

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Looks like my zoos are growing mate ;) use a blade to clean the glass close to the sand much Easyer!
Indeed they are growing. The only zoos I have are from you, Matt Richards and a couple that have randomly appeared elsewhere in the tank. Seriously need to get some more colour going when I get the big tank!

Dont forget the credit card, that way you can say to the misses " I just need the card for the tank" and get away with it every time..lol
Hahahaha.. No missus that would care :D
I used a tooth brush this morning - had some hair algae that wasn't coming off so I used that. I just missed a few spots! Is the only problem with cleaning without the lights on the tank on - I can't see much!
Once I migrate over to the big tank, I'll have to work on that a bit more :D

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Yet sorta sadly, I can't wait to break it down and move it to the big tank. All of the little things that irk me with this won't be an issue next time around :)
Except the sand.. because no matter what I do, that's gonna be a bugger to siphon

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The nano got it's first warm day yesterday. Made it to about 27C yesterday outside, which warmed up the fish room a bit. Tank temp went up to 27.8c (currently reading 25.2C which is a bit low so I'm surprised heater hasn't kicked in, but at least that's a bit of a buffer when it warms back up today).
The LED heatsink normally reads 41C - last night it was at 46C until I opened the lid on the cabinet, and it dropped to 36C. Amazing the difference that made. Normally doesn't get that cool until it's about to fade out at the end of the cycle.

Rigged up 4 old fans out of computer power supplies, and laid then across the heatsink - two fans are over the edge blowing at the water and two over the heatsink. Will leave the cabinet lid up and see how it fares today. Looks like this will be the last of the warm days.. at least for the next week or so. I do have some frozen water containers in the freezer, so at least I'm prepared if it gets warmer.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Didn't get has hot today as expected, but I wound up firing up those fans while the LED was on. Left the cabinet lid down, and the heatsink is reading 28C, and is cold to the touch. Hard to believe how much difference a couple of piddly fans makes.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
First marine death - unfortunately it was my coral beauty. Noticed it was missing when I didn't see it when I came home. Found it side on with a bristle worm wrapped around it in a cave. Managed to get it out and have a closer look. Couldn't see any obvious signs of disease. Looks like it's been dead all day. Seemed perfectly fine and active last night.
Temp is fine, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all fine (all about zero). Other fish are all active and feeding. Corals are all extended and generally happy looking.

A bit sad to see that one go. She was such a well behaved coral beauty too.

V

'vspec'

aww no, sausage about that bud. Its never nice when that happens.
Good to hear the heatsinks are working with a little draft action though.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
those fans are actually handy. On the warmer days I position the end ones off the edge of the heatsink, and I get to take the edge off the tank temps.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
:( No good David, It's always a bugger when you find that in your tank, but it happens I guess. How long had you had the beauty for?

The last few months we have started to loose our Blue Gourami's, down to the last one now. They have to be 6 or 7 years old now tho.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sorry to hear about your CB David :( .

Quite often this type of death is put down to old age but a recent study has shown that fish longevity is probably greater than we think. At the Waikiki Aquarium two similar species have been in captivity for 14 years (Centropyge potteri) and 19+ years (Centropyge flavissima).

However, not being captive bred we don't know how old they are when we buy them ??

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
bugger mate! that sucks. I have lost a couple of CB before aswell after the second I didn't get another. its a shame as they are really really nice.

another question on the fans, have you got the ones on the heat sink blowing at the heat sink or actually blowing out from the heat sink ie. sucking hot air away? I was thinking that if it was blowing onto the heat sink towards the water it might heat the air causing the water to warm ?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I have them blowing on the heatsink in the same way a computer's cpu heatsink/fan combo works. Has quite the cooling effect (~10C almost immediately).Bare in mind, air can't get directly from blowing over the heatsink to the water as it blows out sideways. I think there's more benefit in trying to air cool aluminium directly than trying to force away heat radiating directly from it.
If it were enclosed, I'd be inclined to do as above, then have a fan forcing air out of the enclousure so the warm air coming from the heatsink can be released; so one fan pushing air over the fins to help cool them, then another fan in the enclousure venting out that warmed air.

Fans that are point to water therefore only blow cool air. Seems to make a couple of degrees difference, and neither fan is fully exposed to the water surface.