Tank Journal Archive

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
gday champ :D

I had a few probs with coral beauty's. but not in the sense of eating corals. they are nice but I would be cautious putting them in a smallish tank. I think thats why I lost my first one.
as for the occies, if you are after them I can get them pretty cheap, bout 10 bucks each. you might be able to find them cheaper though. I have a young pair, well wouldnt call them a pair in the breeding sense. they are still young but are pretty tough. growth is pretty good too.

the bloke I got mine off breeds them just for fun, god his setup looks ancient too. he actually runs the plastic corner filters with just the filter wool in them and his water quality is perfect. he has been working with salt water fish for a long time though, he started in the early 60's and hasnt stopped. he sells the young once to a decent size to LFS. but he has three breeding pairs that constantly breed. his main display tank has a pair that he just lets breed, occasionally takes the young out but leaves them in mostly for food.

he has the setup well even though it is ancient, it works, but after seeing what he has to do to breed them I dont think I would want to bother. constant rotifer cultures, BBS and other stuff too.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Trying to hold myself away from a coral beauty as long as I can. Really, really need to get my backside into gear and get started on building a decent sized tank.

Only concern about getting fish from somewhere I can't drive to this time of year is the weather. Ballarat isn't exactly a warm place, so fish don't fare well in transit here this time of year :(
I so need to live in QLD. You guys get all the good stuff - and so many awesome second hand tank setups!

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
hehehe, yea QLD can be the way to go sometimes, dont even need to run a chiller where I am :D

can understand why you wouldnt want something posted. the thing that needs to be understood with postage of live stock, look at all the LFS. they need to get their stock some how, and 99% of the time it is shipped in styro boxes. these boxes can be in transit for a bit of time, when my brother had the shop we put an order in on a monday, was expecting it to be sent tues, and recieved wed. it didn't get to us until friday morning and everything was fine. this was fish by the way, as for coral I had some turn up today, bought of Matt (great seller by the way) which was sent 2 days ago, should of got them yesterday, got them this morning, so far so good. they all are reasonably plump. ofcourse we both were concerned and wasnt happy with Aust post as it was supposed to be next day delivery but it turned out ok, the heat pack was still warm too.

when they are opened up in a couple of days I will get some pics :D

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Glad to hear that your late shipment seems to be okay after our discussing it last night :P

I generally don't mind moving coral by post down here - at least things like morphs and zoas tend to cope well. Once it warms up I'd be game to try other things :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Forgive me reefers, for I have sinned.

I have lusted after a coral beauty for too long until I could no longer resist the urge. The girl at the LFS also has lusted after it and wants it, so I have another person to pass on my sin should I try to rid myself of it.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
you are forgiven my son, say 15 hail mary's and you will be forgiven and berieved of your sins.

they are nice arent they ;)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
yeah - she's gorgeous. Spent 2 hours getting her ready to move in, given that I don't yet have a QT. The SG in the water she was in was pretty low, so I spent the extra time slowly adding some of my water to the bag. At the moment she's hiding where my chromis Sook likes to hang out.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
lol that sounds familiar, my chromis is a massive sook too!

the CB will take a bit before it is comfortable to come out, but eventually will.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
lol, its amazing how many fish are sooks! I had a big ol oscar like that, would eat out of ya hand but when you walked past the tank would run and hide haha

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Hahah.. yeah. I've got some tropicals that are sook as well. My cichlids have always been big sooks.

My blenny gets a bit sooky, then he transforms into curious, then to excited - all in about 5 seconds.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Yeah they do.

I'm starting to find all of my fish, even my coral beauty all have really cool personalities. The blenny is the only one who goes about his business like he has a job to do. Noticed the billion marks in the algae on the glass where he's been working away, but the little bugger goes about making himself new burrows a lot. He's been around the back of the rocks causing hell - though I am thankful for it as yesterday when I was looking for him, I found some aiptasia back there, so I nuked it.

Most of the time Benny has a small bit of scrap rock that is near the front glass that he hides under, so I get to see him all squished up in his spot.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
OK - added a little acan today and a pink/purple fluffy morph with green tips. Got them at Reeflections while organising new tank. The fluffy looked really cool in the frag tank under LEDs. Dave had a RapidLED kit going similar to what I had ordered, and I thought it was pretty cool. That light was going to be permanently installed into the cabinet the nano is in. I don't think I'll keep it there - I think it'll get migrated out to the big tank, and the T5HO can go back on it.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Time for some pics

New acan:
acan1.JPG

New fluffy morph. Love his green tips.
fluffy1.JPG

A couple of my zoos - both of these were from Matt Green a while ago. The ones in the second picture are huge. I'd never seen them that big before :D
zoos1.JPG

zoos2.JPG