Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
If your using prime then you should get through without losses I hope. I had a mini cycle when I upgraded tanks. Ammonia got to 1 nitrites were detectable as well. I used prime ( double dose ) every day & lost nothing. You may want to look at Seachem stability as well. It's a bacteria booster ( I used this as well ) cycle only lasted about 8 days. Personally I would hold up on the water changes and take readings for next few days while dosing the prime. It can almost be classed as not a good situation but not so "urgent " anymore. It will take time for the bacteria to build up again. But Prime will do exactly as stated on bottle guaranteed.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
If your using prime then you should get through without losses I hope. I had a mini cycle when I upgraded tanks. Ammonia got to 1 nitrites were detectable as well. I used prime ( double dose ) every day & lost nothing. You may want to look at Seachem stability as well. It's a bacteria booster ( I used this as well ) cycle only lasted about 8 days. Personally I would hold up on the water changes and take readings for next few days while dosing the prime. It can almost be classed as not a good situation but not so "urgent " anymore. It will take time for the bacteria to build up again. But Prime will do exactly as stated on bottle guaranteed.
thanks, i have added the stability

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Yes, if you need to remove a medication from the water you can use Bio Marine Poly Filter. I would suggest ringing Age of Aquariums or Majestics, explain the situation and asking for express post. https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6491
thanks, I think if my tang gets white spot again, he is on his own or he will have to go, pulling the tank apart to get him will be a huge job, so much in there and he is a beautiful fish has grown 3 times the size he was, I have just put purigen in the sump 2 x bags is that the same as the poly filter

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
is there anything else i can do to help them, can not fail at this 2
Not really - the prime will neutralise the ammonia and water changes will remove it. Over time the beneficial bacteria will increase in numbers to a level where they can deal with the ammonia naturally.

How is the whitespot?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I have just put purigen in the sump 2 x bags is that the same as the poly filter
No that brand of Polyfilter is a unique product. It turns different colours according to what pollutants are in the tank, and is very efficient at removing medications. You do have to be careful not to use an oversized piece in one go as it will strip the water of phosphates and may shock LPS corals.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Not really - the prime will neutralise the ammonia and water changes will remove it. Over time the beneficial bacteria will increase in numbers to a level where they can deal with the ammonia naturally.

How is the whitespot?
He has none on him at the moment but thinking he will get stressed with the high ammonia and get them back again

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
WOW!! I have never seen a test that high. I assume you have made sure your test kit is OK. Even when cycling my tank with a dead prawn it didn't go that high !!! I really feel for you. You would need to change a lot of water to bring that down to a safe level quickly. I don't like changing too many things when something is wrong because you can do more harm than good. However i would consider trying to take the fish out If you have somewhere else better you can put them.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
WOW!! I have never seen a test that high. I assume you have made sure your test kit is OK. Even when cycling my tank with a dead prawn it didn't go that high !!! I really feel for you. You would need to change a lot of water to bring that down to a safe level quickly. I don't like changing too many things when something is wrong because you can do more harm than good. However i would consider trying to take the fish out If you have somewhere else better you can put them.
yes the test kit is ok, I did a large water change yesterday and the day before that and and before that, no i have nowhere to put them

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
Have you tried testing the water you are putting in the tank when you do a water change? I guess its unlikely that is the problem but i am struggling to come up with any other suggestion.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Have you tried testing the water you are putting in the tank when you do a water change? I guess its unlikely that is the problem but i am struggling to come up with any other suggestion.
yes water is fine, I have ro machine and have tested

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Yikes. That's high. From memory prime have instruction re - high urgent situations. Can use up to 5 x I think. Read the bottle and double check. I never cycled a tank but believe most bacteria is actually on surfaces not water column. I am wondering if you should just change out 90% of water. But be very sure temp , sal & big 3 are as close as possible to current water. I don't know if this will affect the cycle in any way but I am sure someone will be able to help you with that answer.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
@Susan Bates how is it all looking ? Any improvement ? Thinking of you today :)
thank you but no, I have been talking to someone from all about fish, he has advised me to do another water 6 in 7 days and add half a bottle of stability but still no improvement as yet, if i can get them through this i don't know what i will do with the blue tang if he gets white spot again, he is a good size fish, thanks for your concern, this is terrible

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
thank you but no, I have been talking to someone from all about fish, he has advised me to do another water 6 in 7 days and add half a bottle of stability but still no improvement as yet, if i can get them through this i don't know what i will do with the blue tang if he gets white spot again, he is a good size fish, thanks for your concern, this is terrible
When I went through the mini cycle I emailed Seachem about double dosing stability. They informed me that this will not grow bacteria any faster. To stick with recommended dose and continue to do everyday. So I am wondering if lfs have you adviced about half bottle of stability so you would buy more ? You don't have to do a water change when dosing. Just dose recommended amount along with the prime every 24 hrs.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
When I went through the mini cycle I emailed Seachem about double dosing stability. They informed me that this will not grow bacteria any faster. To stick with recommended dose and continue to do everyday. So I am wondering if lfs have you adviced about half bottle of stability so you would buy more ? You don't have to do a water change when dosing. Just dose recommended amount along with the prime every 24 hrs.
thanks, this is the problem with a lot of things to do with your tanks is you don't know if it is needed or just money making