Tank Journal Archive

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
So, to round off this tank journal, a sneek peak of what is to come.

It's just set up tempararily at the moment to keep things alive and running. Once the floors are re-sealed it will be set up properly, ie backing on tank, a sump installed, skimmer/heater etc moved out of display.
The hood is gonna need some further mods, and while the "Five Star" (brand) tank is ok, the cabinet and hood quality don't quite live up to their name. But it was cheap, got us out of trouble and is keeping things alive. A custom made tank would have been nicer and easier to set up as I'd like, but with a bit of work this should be good.

The 5(L)'x2'(H)x1.4'(W) tank, with current livestock (not really aquascaped yet - just arranged to keep thjings alive and running, and provide some hidey holes for the fish:
IMG_8572.JPG

And a few shots of the life on the rocks, which all seems to have pulled through the ordeal and changes well.

A large species of vermetid? (with the more common small ones below):
IMG_8538.JPG

Some fan worms:
IMG_8547.JPG
IMG_8558.JPG

A small corallimorph:
IMG_8560.JPG

Thanks for looking, and for the opinions/advice (and snails & corals Shane!) offered while this tank was running.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
I've located 3 big ones like this, HEAPS of the small purplish ones, and several of another species that is intermediate in size.
I've found a list of all known vermetids from australia, including distribution maps for about half of them, but it's very hard to find images or descriptions for most so I can't get a positive ID. I'm guessing maybe a species of Serpulorbis or Dendropoma, but without access to better information I could be wrong.

These big ones don't seem to cause any problems or irritate anything. One of the intermediate sized ones seems to be irritating a corallimorph now. Wasn't an issue until the old tank broke - maybe the change in water movement makes the mucous web drift over it more now. It was a pretty large morph, and didn't do the best through the moves. It's not hanging down now like it was but is still staying all gathered up, and a saw the webs over it yesterday.