Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
They are probably just trying to work out who will tun into the female i.e. as you have mentioned one is looking to exert dominance over the other.

Nice helio BTW - an underrated coral in my opinion.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
They were getting on so well for a while that I was hoping the size difference was enough for them to peacefully accept their gender roles without arguing over who'd be the girl.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
My turbo snails from MagicJ have laid a couple of batches of eggs, so soon I should have all the snails I need.
Should help with the algea.

Nitrate and Phosphate read zero with my Salifert kits, but I suspect that there are some levels present, based on algea growth. I guess the algea is absorbing it all out of the water, resulting in the zero readings.

Between me and the turbos, we're starting to win the hair algea battle. Really only two rocks with much now, plus the odd small patch that doesn't last long. The snails don't eat it when it's long, so twice now I've pulled some off, scrubbed some off with a toothbrush, and then ran the skimmer pretty wet for the next 24hrs to help get rid of the drifting bits (skimmer bubbles went green the first time). The turbos seem to keep it right down/non-existent once it's short enough.

I have this macro alge starting to creep it's way over the rocks - Caulerpa nummularia? Pulled most of it out yesterday. It's amazing how fast it can grow.
C_numm2.JPG

I have one rock that is covered on one side with what looks like Lobophora - it's been there since the rock was purchased. There's the odd bit on other rocks too. I've read on one site that it's reef safe, but I've also read of people having problems with it overgrowing everything. Anyone here had problems with it?

I have three little pieces of Neomeris annulata, each growing in a different area. These appeared about 3-4 weeks ago, but no more since so I don't think they'll become a problem.

Anyone know What the below pic is? I have a number of little bunches of this in the tank. It turned white within about a week of turning my LEDs on, but now it's gone back to pink and new little bunches have appeared.
IMG_6940.JPG

Or how abouit this one? I've only noticed it the last few days:
Unknown.JPG

The continuous siphon has been tested and seems to work well - just have to do the finishing touches, make the return, and add them to the tank. Been slowed down a bit by a bad bout of flu the last couple of weeks.
OFlow.JPG

Attachments

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Aargh! The couple of little brown patches on the substrate have gone mad over the last two weeks. Thought it was cyano at first, but now I'm pretty convinced it's dinoflagellates. It's covered 3/4 of the bottom, and since water change last weekend it's spreading over some of the rocks and my gsp frag. Some of the turbo snails aren't lookng too good, occasionally lying upside down for an hour or two before moving off again. Dyson, our strombus, disappeared for around two weeks and I feared the worst, but he reappeared a couple of days after the wc. Not his usual active self though.
After a bit of reading last night and working out what it is, it appears that the general consensus is to raise pH, run with reduced/no light for a few days, run gac, and syphon out what you can. I'll commence all of these and see how I go.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Yeah, about 4 of those have appeared and they add a bit of interest. Form balls about 1.5 -2 cm dia.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
With nothing really suitable for running the carbon in, after a rummage through some spare parts I managed to put this together.
It's a tight fit over the screen on the bottom of the powerhead, so I can pour some carbon granules in and plug it on. The 180° turn in the bottom stops the carbon falling out. I probably should pick up something to put in the end as a pre filter before the carbon.
2012-10-13 21.50.34.jpg

If seachem matrix carbon is "nearly dust free" as the jar states, I'd hate to see one that was really dusty.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Looking good, and time is patience as is dollars. We've all started out small and progressed or up-sized as we can afford it.

If the Caulpera is a bug, i'd travel down to take some off you for my sump.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
There's been a significant reduction in the dinoflagellates - still working at it though, as I don't want it to escelate back out of control. At the same time, the growth of Macro in the tank (caulerpa nummularia and some caulerpa racemosa, I think) has greatly slowed down. Maybe it's from the days of reduced light, or maybe the increased attention to tank maintenance is a beneficial thing :rolleyes.

I unfortunately had to remove about 5 of the larger turbos, as they were looking on the point of death and I didn't the decaying bodies adding to the tanks issues. However, I have found with most of them that if I move the upside down ones on the botom to an area higher up and away from the worst dinoflagellate congregations, and with better flow, that they recover after about an hour and move off.

I haven't seen the masses of baby turbos that I was seeing (one night at a rough count/estimate, over 80 were on the front and one end), or some other longer, more pointy, black/white marked little snails, but the last couple of days there have been a few and there's also been a new batch of eggs which is encouraging.

On another note, the arduino programming for the controller is coming along nicely in the limited time I've had to spare on it. RTC and lighting control routines, and some of the GUI elements are working well. Just have to put the different parts together, make up some interface circuitry, and add the rest of the features.

A sketch to test the lighting control and some of the graphics elements:
I might re-write the routine that moves the sliders to give a smoother redraw with less flicker.

I'm not real familiar with aquarium controllers, but my plans at this stage are:
  • Several channels of LED lighting control
  • Heatsink temp monitor and fan control
  • ATO
  • Return pump safety cutout
  • Maybe a wavemaker controller
  • Temperature display.
  • Heater cutout for over temp (in case of thermostat failure)
  • Feed mode to reduce flow
  • Auto feeder, handy for when away for a few days.
and down the track a bit further
  • pH display
  • full heater control
  • Dosing pumps
Anything other features you guys can think of that would be worth adding?

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
A few updated pics:

Blasto under full lights:
blastoFull.JPG

And under blue/violet:
BlastoBV.JPG

Clown starting to show interest in torch coral:
ClownTorch_cl.jpg

TwoClowns.JPG

IMG_7442.JPG

MorphBlue.JPG

IMG_7166.JPG

And yes, I know the tank is a touch on the small side for the tang, but it's small at the moment and my wife/kids really wanted it so there are plans underway for a tank size upgrade. This shot is a couple of months old, and shows the right half of the tank.
NewTank.JPG

Thanks for looking.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Love those blastos!

Touch on the small side for a tang but 4' isn't so bad for a small one. Tank looks great!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi Brett

Love the blasto :)

I think we need to get together to have a talk about the arduino - your interface looks great.

The sliders are working well - I am well on the way with mine and it is not too dissimilar to yours :rolleyes

Are you drawing a bitmap on the screen where the slider was and then drawing a bitmap of the slider where it should be?

I would be interested to see you sketch and the bitmaps you have used.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
That's basically it. I draw a filed rectangle over the old bitmap, redraw the central line, then draw the bitmap in new position. I was thinking of modifying it so I don't erase first, just draw the new then erase any portion regaining of the old bitmap. Would make programming marginally more complex but would smooth out the animation a bit. Might come back to that after I get everything else up and running.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Well, this is an unprecedented disaster.
Tank has been running well. New corals have appeared out of the live rock and shown healthy growth, including a nice little pulsing Xenia.

Dinoflagellates? All gone.
Problem algae? All gone, apart from one that keeps growing out from amongst the clavularia, but it isn't a real issue. Just needs occasional removal.
Water? All gone. All over the room and just through into adjoining ones.
No one was in the room at 10:30 last night, when the front glass suddenly cracked in a big curve from the bottom left to bottom right, curving to about a third of the way up in the front centre.
Fish and main coals in a small plastic tub with a small circulation pump. The flexitub that was sitting about a metre in front of the tank and Happened to catch about 10 litres of water. Live rock in another tub with pump and heater in the garage, until I make sure there's no ammonia spike and combine the two.
Not a good day.