Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
:eek - any idea what caused it?? This wasn't a deep tank so there shouldn't have been too much pressure on the front glass.

Let me know if I can help out with anything - I have a nice plastic tub which holds a fair bit if you need it. Could also find another skimmer if you need it for one of the tubs.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Pull through? Well, there was a time - I think it was about 3:30am when I was still mopping up - that I wondered if it was worth restarting.

Then again, maybe the loss of the 4'x2' could pave the way for something a touch longer... or at least more front to back depth... My wife, who hasn't really got into reef keeping, really likes blue tangs. Maybe I can convince her based on that...
And it's a good opportunity to set things up a little different.

The tank was 2' deep, and appears to have been made from a cheap form of float glass, wouldn't be more than 6mm, may be thinner. Maybe someone scratched it, creating a weak point, but it looks like a stress failure to me.

Hey @Magic, thanks for the offer - it's great to know there's someone just down the road who's willing to help out. Looks like I'll be ok this time though. The plastic bin with the live rock holds about 80l when full. Tonight it still shows no ammonia at all, so I'm thinking I'll transfer the rest of the livestock into there until the new one is set up. Or should I hold off a bit longer to make sure? Some of the rock would have been half out of the water for around an hour.

Made some interesting discoveries too. The day before, I caught sight of half a bristleworm tht I thought must have been pretty big. Discovered a few big ones when I lifted the rock out.

And some of the rocks had what looked like roots growing down into the sand. Didn't really have time to examine closely, as the water had run across the floorboards and was hitting the carpet in the lounge room. Anyone seen anything like that and know what they would be?

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
I haven't built one but looked into it some time ago, and that was my understanding too. Apparently Tasmanian Aquariums Wholesale in the north west didn't read the same websites, and I bought that tank years ago before I knew better.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Crazy that a tank that size would be 6mm ... definitely sounds like a good chance to rethink and improve.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Some shots of the damage.
Front of the tank:
IMG_8464.JPG

Side View
side1.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

and finaly, "The Nano" - the fish home for two days:
YellowNano.JPG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Whoa, you couldn't cut an arc that precisely if you tried? Crazy that it broke in such a symmetrical way.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
i cant believe that was a break! I thought you had cut the glass it was such a clean break. I was going to say...thats an odd modification to cut such a large portion of glass off at the bottom! Are you just replacing the tank with one the same size?

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Well, we needed to get a replacement in really quick, as we're heading of for a holiday in about a fortnight. I also wanted to get the fish and corals into something better than they were. I could have put them in the 80L tub with the live rock out in the garage, but if we had a hot day or two while we're away that would have been a disaster and I would have come home to a boiled, stinking fish soup.

So I had to pick something that was in stock locally. The wife and kids love tangs, so we ended up going for slightly bigger tank. Filled it over the weekend and got everything in. More details to follow - I guess I should start a new tank journal for this one. I've gotta say Shane, when you're collecting a lot of water,Roche's Beach is much easier than where I was going.

Only bummer is, the assessors came back today and now insurance is going to sand and re-seal the floorboards. So I'll have to drain the tank, move it to goodness knows where while they do it, then move it all back again once it's done. It'll be a real pain in the but.

Anyone know how fish/corals/etc go with fumes from the floor sealing?

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
The best theory yet is that the floor and/or stand was was slightly bowed down in the middle, as could happen due to the weight. This would gradually put more pressure on both ends of the tank, tending to compress the top of the front glass and putting the boutin under tension. A flat plane of glass can't distort that way though, so eventually when the stress reaches a point where the glass is at failing point, and you combine this with the outward pressure of the water, the middle flexes out and crack extends down to the two corners that are taking all the weight. As soon as the tank was lifted off the stand, the glass popped back into position.

My first thought was that the kids might have scratched it with something, but I don't think that would have resulted in a break that was so symmetrical. Wherever the scratch was, out send unlikely that the crack would follow the same path on the other side. A tank being supported from either end, however, would have a reasonably symmetrical force distribution.

Well, it's one theory anyway.

The new tank is in a different location, at right angles to where it was positioned so it crosses the joists and is also over (or close to, have to go under and check) a bearer.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Sound about right on that theory, I have friends and family that live in houses on stilts and have wood floors. Most of these have had a cracked tank or two. I guess that is a downfall of old houses and wood floors really.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Or in our case, a new (well, 6 years old now) house with wooden floors.

There was a sheet of polystyrene foam between the tank and stand, originally about 10mm thick, but it's a bit thinner now.