Help / Suggestions

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
That many people needing modem reboots - sounds like a routing issue somewhere in the world screwing up the traffic. Not as uncommon as you'd think. Hard to diagnose because you'll either see it or you won't. Personally, I saw it happen. Then my ADSL was turned off. lol.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Just thought I would mention that I can access from work today too, no reboot as far as I am aware.

[edit]oh and would be great if you could confirm the issue is resolved ... I want to check out K&J's website again but am scared now it will kill my access again :p

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Don't know if it is related as I saw malau was having issues earlier, but I keep getting java console errors and this:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function microtime() in /home/thereefu/public_html/board/index.php on line 3
Loads after a few attempts, but can be down for 20-30 seconds at a time.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I had the same issue again last night ... accessed K&J's site, browsed for a couple of minutes ... and suddenly locked out from there and here. Had to reboot the modem again.

Did a bit of searching and looks like it may be a bug related to Opencart's image script creating massive amounts of requests:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=59361

This patch to 1.5.3.1 supposedly fixes it so worth checking if you are using this version, though still some users reporting the ip issue: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=65248

Or not sure if you can get that ip block script amended by your host?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi chimaera,

Thank you so much for that research. I will take a look at it tonight. The IP block will not be getting turned off as it has saved us huge hassles throughout the years. Hopefully this opencart bug is the only issue remaining.

Thanks.

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
I had the same issue again last night ... accessed K&J's site, browsed for a couple of minutes ... and suddenly locked out from there and here. Had to reboot the modem again.

Did a bit of searching and looks like it may be a bug related to Opencart's image script creating massive amounts of requests:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=59361

This patch to 1.5.3.1 supposedly fixes it so worth checking if you are using this version, though still some users reporting the ip issue: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?t=65248

Or not sure if you can get that ip block script amended by your host?
Im having the same issue after accessing both sites .. Locked out of both .. Posting this from my Vodafone access
Oh the modem reboot didn't work to fix it btw

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
Please flush your DNS. This will solve the issue.
for Windows users: go to a command prompt
Code:
Windows Key + R to bring up a Run command prompt

Type "cmd" (without quotes)
Press Enter

At the prompt, type:
"ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes)
Press enter

Type "exit" (no quotes), Press Enter to close the command prompt
For what it's worth, I couldn't access thereefuge.com.au all day yesterday (20th) - even tried a whois lookup and it couldn't resolve the name to an IP - something may have gone screwy with the hosts DNS records.

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
for Windows users: go to a command prompt
Code:
Windows Key + R to bring up a Run command prompt

Type "cmd" (without quotes)
Press Enter

At the prompt, type:
"ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes)
Press enter

Type "exit" (no quotes), Press Enter to close the command prompt
For what it's worth, I couldn't access thereefuge.com.au all day yesterday (20th) - even tried a whois lookup and it couldn't resolve the name to an IP - something may have gone screwy with the hosts DNS records.
i was the same even after flushing the dns as suggested.. i called tpg and added their proxy to my list and it reefuge.com.au worked for maybe half an hour then locked me out as soon as i went through the www.kandj.com.au site for a bit . i gave up on it overnight then this site worked again today .. i dont know much about 'IT' lol but it was pretty frustrating .. im not game enough to go to the kandj site just yet incase it happens again

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I don't know what to say guy's. Umm, SORRY!! :rolleyes We all had no idea. Sorry we broke the internet.

In the process of changing over to a new platform ASAP. If we can it will replace the now "old" site shortly. Just waiting on thereefuge

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
Synodontis - I don't think K&J did this ;)
When whois searches can't resolve a name, it's a worlwide DNS problem. Once identified and corrected, it takes between 6 and 12 hours to propogate around the world's DNS servers. Me thinks the reefuge hosts had a DNS corruption.

I experienced this with a client's website recently. Mine is hosted on the same ISP, his went down, unreachable, mine was fine.

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
I don't know what to say guy's. Umm, SORRY!! :rolleyes We all had no idea. Sorry we broke the internet.

In the process of changing over to a new platform ASAP. If we can it will replace the now "old" site shortly. Just waiting on thereefuge
Haha ..all good.. I think it was just that combination that didn't work for me on the day. Hope it's all good soon so I can get on there and buy something .

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I have spent last nite & all of today adding products that we have sitting in the kitchen, lounge & spare room ready to go lol.
We had problems ourselves being locked out of the reefuge, the site & site admin panel. Just put it down to being signed into to many sites on the one server at once. Didn't even think to check this thread, been busy making stuff lol. :confused:

On a lighter note, not bad for a kiwi to break half the internet huh, imagine what I could do, if I knew what I was doing! :rolleyes

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham

[Broken External Image]:http://www.mtctoys.com/images/homer broke the internet.jpg
Synodontis - I don't think K&J did this ;)
When whois searches can't resolve a name, it's a worlwide DNS problem. Once identified and corrected, it takes between 6 and 12 hours to propogate around the world's DNS servers. Me thinks the reefuge hosts had a DNS corruption.

I experienced this with a client's website recently. Mine is hosted on the same ISP, his went down, unreachable, mine was fine.
Pretty sure it was an issue with opencart as I mentioned, but I hear a new site is in the works so hopefully that will fully resolve everything.

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
Pretty sure it was an issue with opencart as I mentioned, but I hear a new site is in the works so hopefully that will fully resolve everything.
I'm confused.
Do you mean K&J's cart?
I only visited K&J late last night, never been there on my work computer, and was getting squid errors (our work proxy server) all day, couldn't resolve the domain name.

Problem was DNS related I believe, especially when whois couldn't resolve the name.

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
Happy to be wrong.

Just reading through that opencart issue. I'd need to see server/apache logs to know what they mean by "banned".

What I was seeing basically said "thereefuge.com.au" does not exist.