Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Between that and the new vertex dosing pumps that can do the .1ml inciments and at once a week or whatever you like i think id go over to zeo. but ill shut up as this is chris's TJ and is highly off topic - Sorry chris

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
chris B , the fish in those photo's are Red Bar or Silver Streak Anthias (Pseudanthias cooperi). Going against what others have said they are one of the easier species of Anthias to keep. But agreeing you do have to feed them more. Try feeding before work, straight after work and about an hour before lights out, if you can feed them slowly, say over half an hour just sprinkling a little bit of food through the tank every few minutes, and watch them eat to make sure they are getting enough food (this will also ensure your not polluting the tank with uneaten food). Their bellies should be slightly bulged after each feed session. They are very active fish as you know, and use alot of energy swimming, so a regular feed to a normal reef tank isn't the preferred method for Anthias.
Also don't go untrusting your LFS, many LFS will purchase Anthias without knowing what they are. I know my LFS has brought in Anthias that wern't what they were labelled on the tank, and the guys there are very knowledgable people. Many Anthias, especially ones of the Pseudanthias species, can look very similar as juveniles. Have a read of these two articles on ReefKeeping.com Anthias Imposters I & Anthias Imposters II they have some great information on Anthias, and also tell you which species are easier to keep. It will also help you identify the species you have, or are looking at.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I would say that it died from other causes, and was carried into/under the rock by the water movement in your tank.

What happened to the blenny?
agree with shane. fish often do weir things when they are close to death. they can often wedge them self in a cave or between rocks. its like they know what is happening?

chris i hope with is a wake up and it gives you a reason to hold off on fish untill the system is stable.
goodluck

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
there has been no new stock added for fish for a while, the misses wans the other fish in there,but said hell no, until its more stable,but cleaner crew are ok at present which will help the tank.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
A lot of purple stuff , Wouldn't really be called a " good " thing
Is it Cyno ?
That would be first guess , looking at the diatom algae on the sand bed
Not a huge problem yet tho mate :)
The tank is only new , you might see them for a while

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
there has been no new stock added for fish for a while
10 days isnt really a while by any stretch, just try and think of it as a bit more of a longer term hobby, go tinker with your other tank and keep your hands outa this one :)