Off-Topic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
lol ok enough with the pissing contest hahaha

Hows the installs going, MagicJ?
Too easy :)

Removed all cables and wires from the MB. Removed old MB and replaced with new. Installed memory chips, CPU and re-attached all the wires - this actually took a while trying to locate all the headers on the MB. Connected up the SDD and HDD's. Plugged it in, turned it on and, it booted up :D

Working through all the driver installs now...

Just out of interest, the Intel HD 4000 gives a Windows Experience Index rating of 6.5.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
the intel 4000 is a great onboard! (as i allready said :D)
supprised it booted fine you got lucky :D doesent work most the time!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No adjusting ram timings at all?
This CPU overclocks pretty well, so I might have a look once I get everything else sorted out.

But, I prefer a nice stable system rather than trying to push it to the edge so I won't be doing too much. At the end of the day, taking an extra second or two to load a RAW file is not going to concern me too much.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
This CPU overclocks pretty well, so I might have a look once I get everything else sorted out.

But, I prefer a nice stable system rather than trying to push it to the edge so I won't be doing too much. At the end of the day, taking an extra second or two to load a RAW file is not going to concern me too much.
If you can get an extra second or two by adjusting RAM timings, then you have something very, very, very wrong in the first place :D:p

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Not lucky mate - take your time and make sure everything is hooked up correctly - these is not that much that can go wrong.
im talking about the OS, usualy oem copys are linked to hardware and will bluescreen or fail to boot on a change of hardware.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast

shane you can get 4.5ghz stable on air at under 1.3 vcore volts (nice and stable) only starts pushing it once you go over 4.7GHZ as you have to up the core voltage

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
No I meant the rated timings for your ram. My mobo threw in some of timings on my ram which caused problems with ram heavy programs. Took me awhile to figure out the ram timings were off a bit (ran CPU-Z). Quick adjustment in the bios and everything is fine now besides the OS spitting back random gpu driver crashes once in a blue moon which are related to only 2 games anyway.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
No I meant the rated timings for your ram. My mobo threw in some of timings on my ram which caused problems with ram heavy programs. Took me awhile to figure out the ram timings were off a bit (ran CPU-Z). Quick adjustment in the bios and everything is fine now besides the OS spitting back random gpu driver crashes once in a blue moon which are related to only 2 games anyway.
were you using the XMP profile for the ram?

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
were you using the XMP profile for the ram?
It was set on auto, but it was off on a couple of the timings. Used the standard timings in the ram packaging manually, and it sorted it all out.
Running the G.skill now by the way. Thought I'd might as well test it seeing as it was just sitting there

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
It was set on auto, but it was off on a couple of the timings. Used the standard timings in the ram packaging manually, and it sorted it all out.
Running the G.skill now by the way. Thought I'd might as well test it seeing as it was just sitting there
much difference? i found running the XMP profile for the ram caused random crashes, so ended up just leaving it stock

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
No difference really. Won't really notice til I put some real pressure on it trying to get the most out of the ram. I prolly won't though and put this ram up for sale.

I know the Kingston ram killed it on clocking specs, but meh. Its there so why not use it