Reef Discussion

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Ah.. I thought by cutters you were talking about somewhere that would cut heatsinks.. didn't realise it was somewhere you could buy lighting. Curious to see how you go. I need to spend a couple hundred more on LEDs myself shortly, will be interested to see how you go with getting comparable pricing/products.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Cutters meanwells are incredibly expensive - $94.43 for a P series. I was paying about US$35 each.
In terms of actual LED comparisons - I can't recall the theory behind them like Shane can to do a relative comparison of LEDs.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Yeah, not the place to buy drivers :)

For drivers I found this place
RS Online

Global company but have a store in Melbourne. Find these places but not really sure what I'm looking for lol. Need to take shopping!!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Hahaha yeah. I know the feeling. Poor bugger has been my all knowing oracle since he got me hooked on DIY LED. Now I bug him for everything given his tank is the same size as the one I'm having built...

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hahaha yeah. I know the feeling. Poor bugger has been my all knowing oracle since he got me hooked on DIY LED. Now I bug him for everything given his tank is the same size as the one I'm having built...
Happy to help ;)

There are too many scary avatars around her at the moment - I won't be able to sleep!!

"I'm a very lazy man and I want a remote control dimmer thingy" is the tech term for a remote control dimmer so I can leave my ass on the couch and push buttons and/or just leave it to do it's own thing. I like the idea of putting in a "LED code" and the controller works it out from there.
Just made for an Arduino based controller :D

Just out of interest, I bought my drivers as part of a group buy on the 'Other Site' - the 60-48P cost $25!! and that was from Cutters. Their individual prices are ridiculous but I am not sure how much they are prepared to bargain for 10 or so??

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yeah, not the place to buy drivers :)

For drivers I found this place
RS Online

Global company but have a store in Melbourne. Find these places but not really sure what I'm looking for lol. Need to take shopping!!
Not really too much to help you at his place.

To drive the LED's you need a constant current - the light intensity is based on the current and not on the voltage. If the source is not constant the light will go dim/brighter depending on what the source is doing.

There are quite a number of options, including DIY, to get drivers, but then you need to get a power supply. This supply needs to be variable (read more expensive!!) as the voltage needs to be closely matched to the forward voltage of the LED's in the string - if its not the extra voltage gets burnt off as heat which is not necessarily a good thing.

The good thing with the Meanwell drivers - they combine a constant current driver with a variable power supply which makes it easy for these DIY builds. Unfortunately, there are not too many alternatives which do the same thing.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey Magic the Zombie Brain Sucking Moderator,

The specs below are the constant current drivers we are thinking about...........

Input Voltage-90 ~ 305 Vac
Max. Output Voltage- 285Vdc
Output Current Range- Min. 665mA Max. 735mA
Max. Output Power- 200W
Typical Efficiency- 93%
Output Voltage Range- 143V ~ 285V
The dimmer control may be operated from either a potentiometer or from an input signal of 1 – 10 Vdc
IP67 Compliant
This driver is perfect for running CREE XM-L LED's at 2100mA in 16+ LED series

(You can also run 3 parallel strings of 16 CREE XP-G/E LED's for a total of 48 LED's on one driver- this is for the 120W driver)

Trying to get them direct from the manufacturer. Worth looking into you think?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
To be honest this is starting to get outside my area of expertise (not that I am saying I am an expert at anything;))

One thing I don't understand is that they say the Output Current Range is 665mA - 735mA but then go on to say
This driver is perfect for running CREE XM-L LED's at 2100mA in 16+ LED series
A couple of things to note:
  • The dimmer control may be operated from either a potentiometer or from an input signal of 1 – 10 Vdc - this is effectively the same as the Meanwell 'D' drivers i.e. they cannot easily be controlled via a PWM control signal from an Arduino etc.You can build an additional circuit which smooths out the PWM but it does make things a bit more difficult.
  • (You can also run 3 parallel strings of 16 CREE XP-G/E LED's for a total of 48 LED's on one driver- this is for the 120W driver) - running 3 parallel strings is not often done in Australia, although there are many people in the US doing it. The problem is that with parallel strings, the strings share the current (with series strings they share the voltage) - if one led blows for whatever reason the remaining strings take the additional current which could blow all the led's very quickly. You need to install a fast blow fuse on each string to prevent this happening which just adds to the complexity. It can be done, it just makes it a bit harder.
  • This driver is getting up into fairly high DC voltages which increases the potential for electrocution, especially near water. I am no electrician but I understand that 48Vdc is getting up near the maximum safe level.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Kinda figured they might be a bit high. Used for running LED street lights in tunnel's :)

Have them rated up to 8330mA @ 24Vdc
The three most common they sell are the
700mA @ 285Vdc
1050mA @ 190Vdc
3500mA @ 57Vdc

Probably the the most common mA for running LED's I'm guessing.

Might talk to an electrician for some info, May be able to remote locate them away from the tank. They are waterproof to limited immersion in liquid. Seem to be common in the states.

Thanks for the info tho, very handy! we will keep annoying :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Heres looking for a quick one cause I'm busy working hard and not playing on the PC :)

Which is the preferred way to go with attaching LED's to the sink??

A) The thermal pads cut to the shape of the star?
B) The silver paste/glue?

Thankyou muchly,

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I vote for 'B' - I have no experience with the thermal pads but I don't like the thought of having the led's upside down over my tank stuck up by what is effectively double sided tape.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Further to my post above, Thermal Epoxies have a much lower thermal resistance than Thermal Pads which means that they are much better at tranferring heat to the heatsink. I would be using an expoxy unless there was a specific reason not to.

Cheers

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I've been putting some thought in how I'm going to build my light for my 4x2x2.
Working on the fact that I'll have 5 drivers, I'm obviously going to need at least 5 pairs of wire feeding from the cabinet up into the crown where the lighting channels will be, as well as a pair for each channel I use on the Typhon controller (of which I'll use all 3), of which I'd like to have mounted up on top of the tank in the crown. Obviously if I used a stack of 2 pair cables (or even 3s), I'm still going to have a stack of bloody cables running up there. I could make a single harness, and even put some shrink tube on them if I had to, but it's still a lot of bloody cables.

I've had a quick look at Jaycar online, and I'm not seeing any multicored cable that looks like it'd be quite suitable. Anyone have any ideas where one might acquire some cables that are 6+ core that would be suitable? Some 9 or 10 core cables would be ideal.
Jaycar have http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WB1578&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=994#1 which is aimed at computers, but there's no useful specs there that suggest that this cable would cope for this application. Thoughts?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'd like to cut the overall mass of the cables down. If I couldn't, I'd just see if I could get some heatshrink tube and fit them all in to make a big thick cable out of it, but I'd rather not!