Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania

Woody Mackay

Oct 17, 2011
good quality stranded 18awg wire (1mm2 roughly) comfortably carries 2A constantly @ 240V 50Hz. Which means it will EASILY carry the current/power for leds plus its not too big and lumpy. I recommend go bigger than trying to go as small as possible, its not going to hurt.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
how warm/ hot do meanwells get throughout the day? Just looking into what I'm going to put them all in while still keeping it aesthetically pleasing and not sure whether they will need active cooling with 6 drivers and my typhon controller in an enclosure

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I've gone for 6 core alarm wire (7/0.2 flexible stranded conductor). Can't find any exact specs on this grade of wire, but a couple of suggestions rate this stuff for about 1amp. Haven't tested it yet.
The hookup wire I got from Rapid was thinner than this stuff.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I use aquastyle/bridgelux LEDs over my nano, absolutely no complaints at all except their potentiometers are crap. Everything is growing awesomely, going to put an acro frag in from a mate once I rein in my phos

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
Going home now - I will answer this later tonight.

Short answer for now - for most builds some of the heatsinks used are overkill.
would thinner be better than thicker currently have 3mm sheet 1150 by 500 gets warm not hot would thinner be better shed heat quicker?????

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thicker is better as it has more mass and is thus able to draw more heat away from the led's.

Heatsinks are meant to get warm - if they don't then it means one of two things:
  • the system is very efficient at removing the heat e.g. active cooling is employed to remove the heat
  • the heat is not being drawn away from the led's
You don't want the second scenario ;)

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Actually, the ideal thickness depends on the application. Thicker is better for uses where there is short periods of high heat, thinner (but higher surface area) is better for applications with prolonged heat production - as we have in ours. Thicker materials mean a longer pathway from source to exposure, thin materials aren't able to build up as much energy but they are able to get rid of it much more quickly.

shane_h

Feb 3, 2012
Woops I blame early morning and not looking at dates lol. I hit "Whats new" and hit the top thread.. didn't realise I was 4 pages back lol.
You got it sorted though :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Now we all know I'm not the smartest when it comes to numbers, & this is one of those stupid questions that you post, then read the reply, & think, bloody dickhead.

I have a Typhon controller, four channels, running 4x M/wells on each channel. Because you have to supply a current to the dimming circuit, will having 4 drivers on one circuit have the same current as if there was only 1 driver? or am I loosing / restricting the channel by having 4? Does that make sense lol. :confused:

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Unless the required current of the 4 in total is greater than the supply (unlikely since the dimming circuit draws so little current) then there is no issues.