Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
elias once again mate your cube looks awesome im envious...i was looking to downgrade my skimmer as its way overrated for my tank now i dont have the huge bioload, is that the Reef Octopus 500? i was looking at getting that or the deltec SC1350 but deltec seemed to have skimped on 2 features im unhappy about so more than likly will go the Reef Octopus, i think it would jusssst squeeze into my skimmer chamber lol im hoping it does anyway

whats your maintenance routine on this?

feeding, cleaning, dosing

again props mate looking excellent :)

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Thanks @leodb89. Nice to get feedback like that on occasion, especially when some days I look at my tank and think I'm screwing it up. Funny how you say that about my tank though and I spend my time thinking exactly the same about yours :)

It is a Reef Octopus 500 and I'm pretty happy with it. Not sure about the Deltec in comparison but I know the Reef Octopus comes in at nearly half the price. Being a small cabinet and an even smaller sump, I was pretty limited with my choices. Value for money vs meeting criteria it came up trumps.

Maintenance routine I think would be stock standard. At least 10-20% WC per week, daily alk dosing, and daily feeding with either frozen or nls for the fish, and mysis for the corals once or twice a week. Just bought some reef roids to have a go at so I'll post results in due course.

Miller

Dec 4, 2012
traralgon
Hey @Miller, you probably walked past that very hammer a dozen times on Thursday night at Reeflections! o_0

@Buddy.... here, there and everywhere! :p
Dam I should have bought it I looked at it a couple times and walked away cos I got no room
I need to setup me new tank so I can impulse buy

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
nice hammer collection, to shoot under leds i shoot in raw and adjust the WB manually latter, or if you cant shoot raw ajust the WB on the camera to the red/orange scale and it brings the colours back to how they really look.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Looks like someone got a toxic goni similar to mine haha nice additions...I really want to get the reef octopus only cos I've heard such great things about it and the price tag is right and there's not a lot that fits my skimmer section in my sump, although my skimmer section is exactly 170 and the skimmer is 170 and Im not confident in buyin one and it not fitting then trying It and trying to get a refund or exchange :/

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Yep @leodb89. Saw it and instantly thought it looked like yours and I had to have it. Now I just need to find a red one and I'll be set!

My Reef Octopus fit in only by the skin of its teeth. It had to go in on an angle because of the way the pump is mounted but worth the effort. I know I've said this in the past but I honestly think that $/performance value is top of its class.

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Thanks @MTG, I'll give that a crack.
@leodb89, It doesn't seem to bother it at all. It's positioned right on the fringe of the current so it gets plenty of water flow past it but it doesn't get directly blasted.
As for the skimmer, it's hard to tell, the total footprint includes the pump which if tilted a little will actually reduce the footprint by a few mm. It definitely has one of the smallest footprint though for the spec output that it offers.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Ill try find myself a nice LFS or I might call reef octopus cos they're near me and ill leave like some deposit to ask if I can take a demo one for size n if it fits to buy it..I love my skimmer (now sold) but I don't have enough for it to eat lol

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
So here is a pic of my newest clam that I've had about a month now. If you look back at my TJ post #103 you'll se a pic of it about a week after it was in the tank, The pic below is of the same clam now nearly a month after it's been in my tank under my Illumagic M60S!

Results speak for themselves.

IMG_1906.JPG