Tank Journal Archive

Nov 15, 2012
I had an issue (still do) with cyano and I got the same on a few corals (toxic helio and a few others) and I lost them. I am fairly certain it was to do with the cyano and it just destroyed them. Keep an eye on them and maybe put them into a QT if you have one.

The one i saved i used a tooth brush and cleaned it off then into my other tank for a couple of weeks and it came good.

Good Luck

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Could it be a reaction to the new light in anyway?
Never say Never but I don't think so. The recession is only on the edges. I think if it was a reaction to the light there would be more polyps to the centre of the colonies in trouble.

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Ok, so half my acans are screwed, and after all the piss-farting around, I think it turned out to be fluctuations in alkalinity. I found my dosing pumps was playing up and were dosing all over the shop. Anyways, It's been about a week since I discovered it and things look like they are settling down already. Alkalinity is stable and so is pH. Cyano and diatoms have disappeared nearly overnight. I have a couple of new simple coral additions which I have yet to photograph, I'll try and post something over the weekend.

On another note, a couple of new hardware additions:

crap photo but you're looking at the extractor fan in the back. 12v server fan powered down to 3v. runs ultra quiet and turns over enough air that I don't get that damp feel on the inside walls of the cabinet anymore.

IMG_1105.jpg

STC1000 temp controller. Chiller and heater now run off this so there is no chance of them competing against each other and wasting power.

IMG_1106.jpg

Old Samsung Ace Android phone running Power Outage Alarm Pro. This App will text my phone when the power goes out and when it's restored. Useless you say? Who cares, it's cool!

IMG_1102.jpg

And this last item which I finally got my hands on last night. I had this acrylic tank custom made to replace the white bucket sitting next to the tank for ATO. It fits exactly behind the tank and is completely out of the way. Holds 18 litres and I just run a length of hose from my RO to it when it needs filling up.

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

NEATER?

IMG_1130.jpg

Now I just got to find a way to make the chiller disappear!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That RO tank is awesome! Just need a way to hide the ugly chiller now and you're sorted :p

Love the samsung too haha great idea.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Where did you get the ro tank made? That's one thing that I've got on my list!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
dude that is so cool the ATO reservoir option is great!

hows that phone thing work im so interested lol

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Cheers guys. @Buddy, the ATO reservoir I had made by one of my customers from work. Plastics For Industry in Kesborough. If you're thinking of chasing it up, let me know and I'll give you the details of who to speak to. It wasn't cheap but the build is exceptional and what it offers as an addition to the setup is worth the pennies.
@leodb89, the phone thing is really straight forward. It's a simple app that performs a simple task. You plug the phone into the charger and leave it there with the app running in the background. When the power goes out, it sends a text to a predetermined number (my mobile) and when the power comes back on it does the same. I know people think it's kinda useless and what are you going to do if you're not at home, but the reason I did it is that the circuit that all the tanks is on trips from time to time. I work 15 min from home and the last time it did it was in Feb on a 35C day and I didn't know till I got home and discovered everything in chaos! If I'd had that text back then, within 30min at the most, they would have had power restored.

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
I've seen this critter in my tank since I put my first zoa colony in. Never knew what it was and never "seemed" to bother anything. Looks pretty and I admired the way it spent its time going from zoa colony to zoa colony.

Now... I've always wondered why my zoa colonies always looked healthy but never thrived and multiplied. Turns out this guy is a sundial snail and LOVES chowing down on zoas. It's about 3/4 the size of a 5c piece.

So, here's a picture of it before it gets binned.

IMG_1147.JPG

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I've seen this critter in my tank since I put my first zoa colony in. Never knew what it was and never "seemed" to bother anything. Looks pretty and I admired the way it spent its time going from zoa colony to zoa colony.

Now... I've always wondered why my zoa colonies always looked healthy but never thrived and multiplied. Turns out this guy is a sundial snail and LOVES chowing down on zoas. It's about 3/4 the size of a 5c piece.

So, here's a picture of it before it gets binned.

View attachment 14145
Wow so pretty..... now smash it with a hammer!! Or kill it nicely :dead