Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Oh, and this one from Bunarrong today.

I promise this MIGHT be the only sps I buy. Gimme an "L", Gimme a "P", Gimme an "S", what d'ya get... well, LPS I guess. o_0

View attachment 11882

That is how it starts! You have turned towards the dark side of the fence..... just dont go to far, perch your ass up on the fence and enjoy the veiw on both sides. Stay in the "mixed" zone :cool:

Tanks lookin sweet to :D How are you liking the new light??

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Thanks Guys, it's slowly getting to the point where I can stand back and realise that my tank is making progress. @leodb89, the lights are running at about 70-80% of maximum. I'll ramp them up slowly over the next 7-10 days so I don't shock the corals. @Sarg, well, yeah, no dark side here, just a token sps to prove I can keep them. My tank is proudly LPS!!!!! Light seems to be the part. Only time will tell how well it performs.

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Because I don't have anything better to do with my time, I went through the programming on the variable cycles on the new Illumagic, entered them onto a spreadsheet and graphed the channels. I thought a visual representation would give me a better understanding of what is going on with the default programs so I can start to formulate my own cycle.

Here are the two programs. As you might be able to see, one program has more blue/purple/uv in the cycle which I think I prefer but the start and finish of the cycle seems too abrupt. People's thoughts?

Illumagic P1 Graph.jpg

Illumagic P2 Graph.jpg

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Yeh P2 needs modification. I prefer P1 so i ran P2 on Sunday for something different but didn't like how it finished.

I modified p1 a bit but I'm likin what your doing Mr LoTec ;)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i remember the firs time i used excel.....

only kidding, some awesome info there.

so you're not planning on keeping a few more SPS? would really make this tank pop...a pita to maintain but ye

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
No more sps.... MAYBE! I was at Bunarong yesterday and nearly bought another acro frag but I refrained. Real estate has become a scarce commodity now so new additions require more planning. Thinking of moving on the green tipped lobophytum to make room for catalaphyllia, and maybe the acan and brain at the back to make some room for a couple more cool hammers or frogs. Maybe even the branching torch at the front. That ledge would make a great spot for a nice big acro (hehehe). I lost my little green based helio this week. started receding from the base up. I think it was in too high a flow area and the flesh was slowly getting damaged on the coral sand. Guess I'll have to get that scolly now.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Ah crap, Bunarong have SPS frags? Looks like I am paying a visit today ...

Your challenge with real estate is constant in a nano :p

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
I've been noticing lately that my Zoanthid colonies are all displaying transparent stems. It's only noticeable at night when they are closed. Some polyps are only clear towards the base whereas others are clear right up to the head of the polyp.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0926.JPG

... and just for comparison, here is the same colony during the day (crap pic, sorry).

IMG_0891.JPG

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Normal I think,well they are normally whitish I think, two secs.....

Some of mine are darker but some are a fairly light shade of white not quite transparent though.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
That looks really good! I wish I could do that... damn rental house!

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
First serious problem with my tank is starting to rear its ugly head. I've been noticing a little retraction on a couple of my acans over the last couple of weeks but in the last few days, the problem has become more obvious. I'll post params when I finish doing them but everything seems normal so far.

The green acan looks like it has some sort of gelatenous coating around the recceding edges but its not "brown" per se.

These are the possibilities that I'm thinking atm:
1. Brown Jelly disease (although it doesn't look like it imo)
2. Pest (but I cant see any)
3. Alk fluctuations (hadn't tested for a few weeks so hard to say)
4. Too much flow has created small tears in the flesh that has opened them up to bacterial infection.

Thought?

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

And this one... has lost a polyp here on the bottom.

IMG_1023.JPG

Yet this one is in seemingly perfect condition!!!

IMG_1021.JPG

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
perhaps a reaction to the diatoms/cyano? Does it occur towards the base of the colony that is in contact with the substrate?