Tank Journal Archive

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
figure1.jpg

Found this-gives you a good idea Vaultboy
If you close the picture window you'll also be able to read the article about brown jelly disease

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
After much umming and aahing-took the plunge-ordered 1 more Aquabeam-thank goodness I'm the minister of finance. Now I'll have to work harder-drat!!!!:mad:

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
how are you finding the aquabeams ? i allways found them overpriced for what they are. if you dont mind me asking what did they cost you ?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
They are expensive-$196 online but now they aren't being stocked anymore by the online places. Got the new one through an LFS-slightly more expensive.
This will be it though for now-I decided to stay with them as i I only just got them this year my corals and nem seem to like the light
( unless someone wants to give me a free Illumagic;);) )

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Some updated pics
P1050431.JPG

fulltankdec11.JPG

Not too fussed re algae in the sand-provides food for Strombolini

benita.JPG

babyshoesbenita.JPG

Baby shoes and Benita( used to be Benny until I realised she was probably a girl)
The 2 of them often hang out together on the coral

ruby14.JPG

One of my favourite fish-Ruby
all of 14 years old on 27/12/2011

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Fuge on side working well re my aim of providing copepods for the tank-lots of them all over the glass

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Finally id'd this -it has been growing from one tiny leaf and is now getting bigger. initially thought was a type of dragon's tongue
-is actually called Nemastoma sp

P1050434.JPG

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
P1050442.JPG

My 25th wedding anniversary present-best of all -eats mysis-no name as yet.
pic taken whilst acclimating.
This is full fish quota now for this tank

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Great pics as usual! Everything looking very healthy, can tell you take great care of your tank. New mandarin looks like a small male? Great to hear it is eating prepared foods well, will have a fat tummy soon :)

Congrats on your 25th! :worship Happy Anniversary to you both

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks very much Megan-I was wondering what sex he was and was wondering if his dorsal fin was prominent enough to call him a male-great to have your input! Also learnt a bit of trivia on my trawling that apparently these fish don't get ich because of an oily substance that they secrete on their bodies. Good to know

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Would be good to get someone to confirm gender - n0rk
I have heard they don't taste so good to other fish, maybe that's why!

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
I'd be willing to say that it's more than likely male, the dorsal filament is just too prominent for a female as far as I'm concerned. Though as a single specimen, gender shouldn't matter too much - it's just helpful if down the track you want to try your hand at pairing (which tends to not go so well anyway).

They can still get Cryptocaryon, it's just the trophonts don't/can't attach to their skin as readily - all the other stages it's still at risk of befalling ;)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks for that n0rk . Wouldn't have a pair anyway -tank would be too small to support 2 of these. The only reason I got this one is because he eats mysis too so hopefully higher chance of survival