Tank Journal Archive

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Was very happy today about the net on my powerhead-came down and found my little sea cucumber ( which was originally a hitchhiker and really tiny-about the size of a swollen pellet of fish food) stuck to it -no harm done at all- otherwise there would have been bits of eviscerated cuke all over the place. is now about 1.5cm in size-haven't seen it since my post about it in my nano tank journal. Getting rather fat as well

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Acans can empty their stomachs onto other corals. one evening found this in my tank-moved the offending coral and by the next morning the acan was back to normal

mesangialacan.JPG

firebird

Aug 2, 2011

caught one of my nassarius snails laying eggs-can see one coming out-has laid a lot of them just above the substrate
piceggsnassarius.JPG

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
duncaneating.JPG
eatingacan.JPG
fatmandy.JPG

pic update-love how the duncan and the acans go whumpf! after eating The acan reminds me of our guineapigs-their cheeks also used to swell up with food when they ate.

Marvel the mandy is a pig-loves his diner thank goodness and is nice and fat now

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
enhanced FTSfuge.JPG
P1050795.JPG

Current FTS-had to do a move around as when I set up the other tank for Thor I moved my bleached nem out. Waited for it to settle-thank goodness only took a day but was stinging my poor duncan-so moved the duncan and everything happy again

Fuge on side doing well-finally starting to get some stratification in the DSB which I put in a few weeks ago .

More on what is in the breeder box if it works out but I'm worried it may have been a mistake

Experiment in fuge-put in homemade brine shrimp breeder so then I don't have to worry about salt mix and heaters and lights. Are NOT exposed in any way to the fuge and cannot escape into it. using them for my tropical tanks and currently for the breeder box

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Was all excited-discovered what i thought were 2 coral hitchhikers in my star polyps-lots of tentacles that did not retract when touched-also moved positions-was perplexed-definitely were not nems. Was thinking possibly baby heliofungias but couldn't see any bases. Puzzle solved today as are crawling around the tank-are nudibranches-. 1 is about 2cm long and the other about 1.5cm long. Not so excited anymore as I've identified them as Phestilla sp.1 which eat gonis-was wondering why my one goni is looking sad. Now dilemma-what to do?

Will post pics when I get a chance

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
OK=no longer in the breeder box-is now in a modded AC110(really just the plastic part with the pump hole closed off) instead hanging off the side. Has LR in it and macro too because a certain individual in the tank keeps trying to attack her!
Any guesses Shane?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
learnt something further-the so-called tentacles of the nudibranch are actually called cerata and can be broken off in some species if the animals are disturbed
excellent site http://www.seaslugforum.net for id and lots of info about different species