Tank Journal Archive

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Spoilt myself yesterday-got another acan that i've been eyeing for weeks-decided it's much cheaper than a pair of shoes and I'd rather have the acan any day-would last longer too!

Problem is that now I'm running out of tank space for more corals especially if I want to give them room to grow. Will have to start populating the walls of the tank methinks or else I won't allow myself to go and look-this is a terrible addiction with no cure on the horizon

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Time to start fragging! Make some space ;)
Line the side & rear of your tank with egg crate to make shelves! It's hard to stop buying stuff aint it! :D
Wait till you see what I've done-had a major coral insertion couple of days-found a great sculptural rock piece today with some softies( would look so good by itself in a nanotank)
had to change aquascape slightly but i think I'm happy-fortuitiously created more tunnels
Fragged some zoas yesterday and stuck them onto my weir wall- I want them to spread and cover the wall-at present doesn't look too great as only 2 small frags stuck there.
Also hope that the acan I have leaning against the wall will grow onto it
Getting some more zoas next week
Got a beautiful chalice and some duncans
Will post pics once corals are happy
Quite large starfish on new rock as hitchhiker-saw its arms -bristle star most likely after conferring with Chris-will have to come down at night with a torch to see properly-hopefully is a detritus eater otherwise will have to go into my "rescue tank"
( I was very good- i didn't buy the pagoda coral that I saw:p )

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Will be interesting to see how the Zoanthids grow vertically or whether they will stretch for the light. Have you thought of zip-tieing small pieces of liverock onto egg crate until it is totally covered and leaning it up against the rear glass? I've started making a Xenia wall that way and it also has two Duncanopsamia axifuga frags on it that are growing horizontally. So far so good. Then when I want to sell some I can just cut one off and replace it with a new piece of live rock.

The brittle star sounds ok - how large is 'large'? Or maybe I should say what diameter is its central disc?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Can't say-it's hiding in the rock-can only see its arms at present-look about 4cm-5cm long or so- I suppose "large" is relative
Hopefully it'll come out more tonight and I'll get a proper look see-certainly a giant in comparison to the microbrittlestars;)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
newsape3.JPG

New sculptural rock- put my Anthelia on it-has a few morphs and some porites(which look as though they are plating most likely) New Duncan at back-magnificent green fluorescence of the coenosarc under the lights. opening up last night and today-was sulking when I took this pic as I had to move it as didn't like the flow where i put it.
Acan up against weir wall and glimpse of 1 zoa frag in the far left on the weir

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
newscape.JPG

new chalice behind acropora --at back of rock-is a fair amount of space between them to try account for sweepers
newscape2.JPG
newscape4.JPG

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
madshrimp.JPG

This shrimp is crazy-darts about all day and night-avoids the dottyback ...just
watched with interest last night-thought the new brittle star had caught him but then realised that he was most probably munching on a bit of the brittle star's leg-was hard to see in the dark

strombie.JPG

Strombolini the great -occasionally chuck in an algae pellet for him-loves them

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Going great-really interesting to take a magnifying glass to-lots of little creatures

firebird

Aug 2, 2011

Houston-we have lift off!

After much persistence-initially not interested-then started going in yesterday and today success-has eaten 1,5mysis cubes/cyclopeeze and ??? some pellets.
Other fish have cottoned on the jar means food. The bigger clown tries to get in but only her head fits-hangs around waiting for the mandarin to come out in the hope some shrimp will come out with him.

I like to keep the diner in the front of the tank so i can keep an eye out to see if he is eating. Hopefully he will continue

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
and another vid of one of my "fish" eating -Pluto
look at how the appendage on the end of his tail wags as he contemplates the food and also see how he licks his lips
(sorry not good vid quality)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Is that bright green coral that is about a foot from the left hand side a helio or a torch ?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks NiCd-photo actually doesn't do it justice
I don't alter my photos that i post on here-would be able to see it better if i did some tweaking but I'm lazy