Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
NSW is ok to use mate, are you keeping your salinity levels stable? When there is evaporation taking place do you top it up with fresh water? What test kits do you have and what do you test?

Coral gobys are great for this tank, I have 1 that is never seen, just hides in the Acro that he lives in.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sorry to hear that mate. but , had to remind you about uncle bings call to the vacume shop. "the birdie got stuck!" did you give it some mouth to mouth? That was priceless...

RIP Goby :(
I am really sorry and dont mean to make a joke out of it.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It's not funny dude. That little shit cost $35 and I only saw him in the tank when he was dead! As soon as I put him in there he hid in the rocks. I get home and he is stuck in a TINY powerhead. Now I need to figure out a way to prevent this from happening again and go and buy a new little guy. I feel bad for him too, he was a cool little trooper.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
35$, try loosing dearer fish. darren has a conspic angel in his display tank its worth a few thousand!
The goby it got sucked up you know? my wife going to be very mad,

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
So I found a camera around the house, and I just kept it in auto mode. When I figure out how to use it better I will take some nicer shots. But for now, this is what the tank looks like, and I am actually pretty happy with it so far. I need to get some more coral though.

jan26.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The soft coral on the right. Kenya Tree Coral, looks great when they grow out. You may find you have to cut bits off regularly or it will grow too big.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
sinularia produce toxins,

It has been shown that these soft corals release toxins that may damage more sensitive stony corals. This by no means excludes the possibility of a mixed reef, but it is important to know that a reef full of Sinularia may inhibit the full growth rate of some stony corals in the aquarium. A balanced stocking scheme and judicious placement of the various colonies will help as will the use of chemical filtration. The most toxic soft corals come from the Genus Sarcophyton, Lobophytum, and Lemnalia. Members of the Genus Cladiella, Sinularia, Nephthea, and Cespitularia are variably toxic while Anthelia and Capnella are rarely highly toxic.

reference http://www.tidalgardens.com/pages/coral/sinularia.html

just to be aware! :)

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Okay, so today I am going to be pulling everything out, putting more sand in, and giving it a nice new scape. This will include hills of sand to get away from the boring level surface. Will post photos either tonight or tomorrow.

V

'vspec'

Sand hills generally don't stay as hills very long ;)

Look forward to seeing the new scape.
Yeah not wrong, unless of course you have enough current to keep it that way.

I dont think I've seen an edge being used in marine, I have not read the thread bar this page. Limitations ?

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
It has come to my attention that this tank is in serious need of some pimping.
Its time we brought this tank to life!

Your current lights look :( so we are organising you a Illumagic M-30 Polar C .

This has been made possible by a bunch of friends and members of the reefuge. :worship