Tank Journal Archive

Synodontis Yeah i didn't want to call it a HOF in case it brought up images of red budgie smugglers. :)
MagicJ i tried.. but no.. door wont shut properly.. it would have made refills soooooo easy.. im not tooooo worried about the force it will place on the side of the sump.. technically it will only be a little bit more than the force of the water pushing from the inside of the sump.. and after a while the plastic will get used to its current shape..

Orright.. time for an update..

Well.. umm.. all going well.. its kinda scary to say that.. the Upgraded 20L ATO res is working very well and hasnt cracked the sump.. and i have worked out ingenious methods for refilling it.. (its proximity to my power section is unfortunate.. but its ok) Thank the good power of physics and siphons..

Added a replacement Duncan which took about 4 days to think about coming out.. but after rather low light at reeflections and strong light in my tank.. hes was always going to take some time..

moved my candycane under some shade tonight after advice from SECA.. not doing as well as i suspected.. but i rekon its a boring coral anyway.. (free to goo home if you want)

Im going to rock on tomorrow or sunday.. SECA has too much live rock (from their big display tank in the front of the shop which is looking a bit sad as they are prepping it for the move... so actual running wet live rock is going cheap for friends or people who make new friends quickly..

Also some BIG corals attached to large rocks going for good prices (hammars and other softies.. a little low on colour.. but have been through a move lately.)

So lots of staring at the tank tonight and visualizing what could be tonight.. and i will prob end up getting 2-3 kg of rock (maybe with something attached but sure as hell some hitchhikers.. ) and see how that looks.. then go from there.. Pics to come..

Also looking for a beginners (read cheaper) macro lens for my Sony Alpha DSLR to get back into playing with tank photos.. any suggestions?

Have fun all
Looking forward to seeing some of you at Synodontis meet comming up sooon!

Orright.. so i went to SECA and got 6kg of LR.. and dropped it into the tank.. stood and looked for a few hours.. then got the ladder out and ended up with this.

Attempt 1a.JPG

Im not terribly happy just yet.. i wanted to achieve more height in the tank. but ive ended up with more fullness and the same height.. so ill stare at it some more and try again tomorrow..

Hiya all.. Update time..

Have been tinkering with the re scape and have found something that i like.. definitely something i can build on. but good enough to live with for the time being..

All photos so far are crap.. so will get a good one soon and post it..

Also today..upon finding SECA in the process of pulling down their shop and moving.. i went to Reeflections to get me some good ol RO.. Took Mrs Grug with me which was a bonus coz she fell in love with a few fish there and we therefore came home with two Clowns (Percs i think)

She also wants a blue tang.. (thoughts on fitting a baby in a 300L 3' wide and 2'deep and 2'tall tank???? Anyone)

and a long nose butterfly.. both of which i quite like.. and are within the budget.. the long nose butterfly is a compromise to a yellow tank for price and eventual size of fish..

anyways.. all is going well.. kinda .. my new duncan came out for a week and is now back in.. and my torch is grumpy.. but the new scape has only been settled for a week.. all others are doing ok.. :)

Hooray for Grug!

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Nice best taking a female with you to the lfs, everytime I drive to get my hours up I have to take mum, she sees something nice and ends up taking home half the shop of corals haha, today was a classic example haha

Well.. ive started feeding with Red Sea Reef Energy A + B in liquid form.

only 3 days later.. ive seen a big change in my corals.. so either they love it or they were starving!

My Elegance has sprouted a new 3rd mouth.. so im happy about that too.. :) Duncan doing well .. (new) little unknown brain thing is great. Gonnie is doing better since a couple of moves and Reef Energy.. Leather (devils hand) has always done well.. and my Ric and Morphs are doing great.. Candy cane is 50/50 but ive moved him up and into strong light and he is improving..

Two new clowns added.. not sure what type for sure.. but they look cool and are happy..

So im in a little world of happy right now :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
She also wants a blue tang.. (thoughts on fitting a baby in a 300L 3' wide and 2'deep and 2'tall tank???? Anyone)

and a long nose butterfly.. both of which i quite like.. and are within the budget.. the long nose butterfly is a compromise to a yellow tank for price and eventual size of fish..
Just my opinion but your tank will be too small for a blue tang in the medium term - they like a lot of swimming room and can grow to around 30cm. Not entirely sure what you mean by a long nosed butterfly - is it this

awww.liveaquaria.com_images_categories_large_lg_69040_longnose_3.jpg

Butterfly's can be a bit problematic in a reef tank - they may nip at your corals, or they may not :confused:

MagicJ Yeah thats what i was thinking.. but i just saw the growth of the fish to be a good reason to upgrade my tank in a couple of years again.. although would have to move the fridge.. :P

daniel.. from memory it was about 58 bucks for the two bottles which will last me at recommended dosage for about 50 days. 2ml / 100L of tank each bottle.. so im dosing 10ml of each at the moment from each bottle.

So i dropped into the New SECA today to get some RO.. still no water available there.. but the shop is coming along quite well.. and as i was about to walk out we spotted a coral banded shrimp who had had a bad couple of days.. put in wrong tanks and attacked by multiple fish etc.. i think he has a total of 2 legs left on one side and maybe 2 on the other?? we arent sure.. but lost his main claws and he is looking pretty damn sad.. as we spotted him he was being enveloped by a Nem in his final moments.. we grabbed him and i said to the guys (really should learn some freaking names) "how about i take him home and stick him in a mature stable tank with very few predators.. see how he goes and if he pulls through ill bring him back.. if he doesnt.. the hermit will eat him.. " so i am now shrimp hospital.. just dropped him in after acclimatising him for a bit longer than normal.. heres a pic and fingers crossed. :)
IMG_0618.JPG