Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Faark me thinks my collection is next on the raid list. Parents keep your corals locked up and warn them of stranger danger!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
he doesnt take one because really hes just taking pics of someone elses tank and looks like a creep trying to take FTS so takes them with a secret camera in his jacket lol

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
This is my new favourite journal- following with interest, let's see if we can get this thing to 26 pages quick!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
So you want to take on the challenge of more corals hey, tell us about your water conditions, how often do you replace the water, how much do you change? What do you test? Have you noticed any patterns develop.
How much water is evaporating a week?

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
well theirs actually 4 juvie clowns!

well lets start with WC then ey? i do all up 50%+ water changes weekly, but broken up into 3 different water changes.. Now its winter, evaporation can be a killer at times, i lose roughly 5l+ weekly..

Havent noticed much after each wc lol Don't really test but my salinity is 1.025 not sure about the rest but will find out on monday

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Yeah, I noticed that evaporation is more too in winter. I loose 15 l a week.
BTW what salt are you using for your changes.
I have also broken my changes to 5 percent twice a week due to make up water too cold. Need to grab a heater for my water bucket....

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
yea no humidity, just using NSW from mr marine aquariums in guildford

Yea weathers abit chilly, hence why i broke up the 50% into 3 different wc, I drip it slowly aswell, takes atleast an hour for it to fully fill but prefer not to have major temp fluctuations..

Haha, would be alot better i if had a spare heater aswell for WC would be so much quicker and easier!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sounds like you really care about your tank mates, the way you drip the water changes.
Specially SPS, they hate it when suddenly a bucket or two of cold water gets dumped in the tank.

Besides water changes what are you using for nutrient control in your tank?

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
Specially SPS, they hate it when suddenly a bucket or two of cold water gets dumped in the tank.
yea i've learnt from previous experiences from my FW day's! Though it was good to induce spawning

Not using anything for nutrient control, does Xenia count :P Though starting to look at it, Cant afford zeovit lol
Any ideas?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Macro algea- Rowa-vodka dosing- ........
Many options, many brands. IMO zeo is not the be all and end all, you can do reefing with other brands just as well.
Comes down to the basics - which you have got down pat anyway.
Keep up the good work mate!

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
haha sweet, that Little Whitespot issue i had nils just turned out to be me over reacting! Was just the other clown pair harassing them
BTW i'll be purchasing some small SPS offcuts before i come raid your place :P Wanna see if i can keep them without them browning out :P

Xenia came back out of this weird mode after i severely hacked pieces outta it for leo, notice some new heads and stems sprouting from the rock i cut it off
Oh and leos YT does this wierd fin shaking thing? Is this to stir up food on the bottom? Only seems to do it at the bottom, and goes ballistic over anything that stirs up lol
Quite a character. he sure cleared out my live mysis and pod colonies