Off-Topic

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
An obese person eating a burger is not forceably shoving burger down his neighbors throat at the same time. That's where smoking gets personal. Non-smokers are extremely sensitive to the smell, it can be nauseating & being expected to silently endure it out of 'politeness' just isn't ok.
Wrong. Obese people die all of the time due to health complications. Taking that out of the discussion, obese people keep fast-food chains alive. I have a fast-food restuarant at the end of my street. Let's break this down for a moment...

They pay their employees a "McWage". This means they are really promoting slave labour. The workers are also generally very young so I would even go as far as to say it is child slave labour. Well, owning a slave requires the master to shelter and feed their slave, a kid getting $1.20 an hour has to take care of himself.... even worse!

For the employee to get to their job they need to either go by car, bike, or use public transport. At the point they fail to use a bike the system has failed as there is even more pollution from the motor vehicles (which smokers are FORCED to breathe even in the "safety" of their own homes). Then they need electricity to cook these burgers...more carbon...

Then the government says that they are going to tax that shit too. They say the country is full of selfish-smokers who fuck up the health care system and fat fucks who fuck up the health care system. So they tax us more... and more... and more...

I have had family members die due to smoking and yes it was heartbreaking. But you know what? They lived how THEY chose to live. At the end of the day it is REALLY simple. Let people live however they want - as long as they don't prevent anyone living the way they want to live.

We are all in this together. Everyone here is a brother and sister. Your neighbour spends 5 mins outside having a smoke? Cool, just go inside for those 5 mins and give the poor guy a break. You're at a public place and need a smoke? Cool, just go isolate yourself and make sure you are not blowing smoke in peoples faces. I think if everyone gave the next person a little bit of understanding and a bit of freedom we would all be way better off.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I agree. I 100% support @Agent M in that I do not want to have the smell or ingest your smoke, however, I am sure I do things that annoy people as well and they put up with it. Yes it might not be a hazard to their health but still.

New laws are in, in NSW at least, not allowing people smoke in public eating areas (outdoors) or within 4 meters of the entrance to a building. If smokers abide by these rules, who are we (non-smokers) to still complain? They want to smoke and are following the rules laid out.

A good example is a sporting event. You go to the game and have a few beers and get a bit 'merry'. There is a smoker, not smoking, next to you and your actions are annoying him. Is he within his rights to tell you to go and drink somewhere else? Would your response be that you are not breaking any rules by drinking there?

Starts turning into a "don't do as I do, do as I say" situation.

Like it or not, ban smoking and our economy is going to take a massive hit.