Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
So with the 39c day in Melbourne my tank got to 29c... I think I better drag the chiller out and hook it back up :rolleyes
My trachy got a beating from my cynarina which got pushed in to it by my stromb, not sure if the trachy will make it as half the mouth is gone. It is still puffing up the rest of its flesh though.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Ouch! I had a small fan I used on my main and it got to 27C so was happy with that, my nano sat on 26C the whole day and didn't budge which I thought odd.
Hope the trachy makes it, warfare amongst corals is just nasty!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well nothing looks like it got annoyed from the higher temp, even though my tank has been sitting on 25c since last summer. I am learning which corals come off worse when they touch. My scolly got that same cynarina down to the bone when the cynarina was touching it. The cynarina is fully recovered now and I guess it took its bad mood out on the poor trachy!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Brought home a couple of corals today that caught my eye, a redish acan with white stripes and a nice zoa rock with a few different types.

The acan is in an awkward spot, hard to get a decent pic...
acan1.12.12.jpg

Couldn't resist these zoas for 20 bucks!
zoas1.12.12.jpg

Also got the chiller out and hooked it up to the return line. I noticed it was out by just over 1 degree so calibrated it. To do it you just hold the up and down buttons for about ten seconds and then set the temperature that it should be reading, then press set.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice acan and zoas! I've look at those zoas before, well, that colour ... at Fishworld I think it was. Look cool!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Over winter I had two heaters in the sump and the tank would struggle to stay over 24 degrees, so I took one out of the sump and put it in the display. After that the tank had no problems holding a temp over 25 degrees. I have just been lazy and havent taken it out yet :p

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
A couple of sps frags just for reference to see of they actually grow or keep colour :D They have been in the tank for a couple of months now. The monti has only been in since the vic meet (thanks @Sarg ) Does anyone know what the other one is? I couldnt quite get the colour right, its a fluro yellow but looks faded in the pic.
sps7.1.13.jpg

Birdsnest
birdsnest7.1.13.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice! Not that I know eff all about acro, but 'Highlighter' comes to mind when I see it - must have seen that kind described that way before.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Oh and I am making good use of your frag racks... they are overflowing! I think you are on the money with the highlighter. I just saw a pic of a colony and it is the same colour and looks like the same growth pattern. Polyps look the same too (do all acro have the same looking polyps???)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Some acro seem furry where some have the little star shape. I just refer to it all as acro except stags and millis. Maybe the furry ones are different?

Your going to have some nice ones to test in a few days ;)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
The monti has really small polyps. I get massive extension on my bluey green acro and it looks more like a little hand where as a pink acro I have has more like a single polyp.