Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Those fans are barnacles, don't do it any harm that I know of (in fact as filter feeders they should be overall beneficial to the tank). But I've read of some people killing them with a syringe of hot water and the monti then grows over the shell/hole ...

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
They doesn't seem to be causing any trouble so ill just leave them then.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Haha sorry it was late that's my excuse :) yeah have all sorts of creatures in mine. I saw one at Reeflections that had its own baby mantis living in it :) when tapa is back (I use it to upload pics of the phone) my reverse superman monti has around 8 holes with long arms coming out.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
So @Sarg organised some corals from acro al in W.A. and a few of us grabbed some. My frag racks are full to the brim now! I had to put a rack on the front glass cos I ran out of room :cry
He ended up throwing in an extra coral so I have two of the same and one other.

These two are just a slightly different colour but I think the same coral.
waimfamous112.1.13.jpg

waimfamous212.1.13.jpg

My Coral Goby pissed this one off just before the pic :rolleyes This coral looks awesome with all its polyps out! I have the good side of it facing the light, ill try and get a better pic another day.
waimfluffy12.1.13.jpg

Got this Dallas from @vpreef
dallas12.1.13.jpg

I've'e also got a few zoas and this chalice from @Priscacara thanks mate!
chalice12.1.13.jpg

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Beautiful blue color on those acros! You guys are really determined to get me into colored sticks.

More room is easy Sarge........................another tank :D

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Great pics of those frags! I mounted mine so it was a bit harder to snap them clearly, but agree, they are spectacular. Never seen colour like it ... just hope it lasts.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think 1 and 2 are the Infamous WA stag I believe. We ordered a Hardy stag, but all the frags like the ones shown above seem to be the same dark blue colour. At least mine do. Maybe @Rob got the Hardy stag by mistake?!

Pic 4 is a Dallas, not from Acro Al but from VP's personal frag stash ;)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
So here is how I spent the last couple of hours :rolleyes
I fed the tank tonight and noticed someone missing, the Copperband that I got from @mscott Its always ready to pig out on food so I thought I better see where it is and..... Its entire snout and head was jammed in a rock! I tried giving him a tug but he was really jammed in there so after a couple of nice words I had to start pulling the tank apart to get to it. Ofcourse he was in the rock that was the very first to go in the tank so I had to take ALL of the rock and coral out! Little bastard!
Here is a pic before I pulled the rocks out
IMAG0472.jpg

After I took everything out and rotated the rock so I could get to him in a better position
IMAG0474.jpg

I gave him another tug but it felt like I was gonna pull the poor bugger in half. I was thinking what to do next when he managed to free himself. He has a scratched up face and looks like he has damage on one of his gills. He is swimming around so hopefully he recovers!

I managed to get a crab out of the display which was about 3cm wide, also found this snail. Anyone have an ID?
IMAG0476.jpg

I took a large bit of rock out of the tank because it was gonna be too hard to arrange it again so I will have a new FTS soon :banghead

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Serious? What a dumbass fish. You would think with a nose like that he would know by now not to stick it in small places.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
He has lost a lot of colour on the top half overnight and his fins aren't the best... doesnt look good!
IMAG0478.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
After I took that pic I put him in a container with holes in it so he didn't fall in to any corals. Im pretty sure he wont make it through the day.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well the fish is no longer, I guess the stress was too much. Such a shame to lose a nice fish like that in a stupid way! So that notches up my first fish loss!
I noticed the whole time the copperband was in my tank, my wrasse was in hiding except to eat. Since I removed the copperband the wrasse is back out like he used to be. I didn't know flasher wrasses were so timid :confused: