Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The second pic is the answer to why you have no polyp extension!

Polyps on all my sps were nuts big full fluffy and out and proud.... That was till I got my little green goblin now they are never out!
My SPS don't seem to mind the coral goby, though he usually perches lower down on the monti.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
The second pic is the answer to why you have no polyp extension!

Polyps on all my sps were nuts big full fluffy and out and proud.... That was till I got my little green goblin now they are never out!
I think that I had bugger all light and flow in my nano and that wasnt helping the sps much. Now with the 300w of light and heaps of flow everything is looking happier. Even if its the goby causing it, I would still rather keep the goby than sps :D

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Just a couple of pics of my LED build. Ill post up more detailed info about it later.
I used 6 6" makersLED heatsinks from here. All the LEDs and fans are powered by a meanwell 48V 8.3A 400W DC power supply.
I can slide the heatinks from side to side and I can slide the banks of 3 heatsinks forwards and back which is handy.
With all the lights at 100% I get a nice crisp white light which is what I was aiming for.
Now for some pics!

IMAG0593.jpg
IMAG0594.jpg
IMAG0596.jpg
LED.jpg
LED2.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Wow that is pro! Not that I will be doing this any time soon but for others, share some details of your rail and mounting system?? Looks great.

Oh and also, need a new FTS now you have the lights up ;)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Ok, a little more detail about the LED build :)
So after a lot of research I decided to go DIY because I could build a better light than there is on the market at the moment and for much less cost. I could also build it exactly the way I wanted it and its easily upgradable in the future.
I wanted to try and make a full spectrum light (or something better than just blue and white!) So I decided on the following colours, all are cree except for the red, violet and green.

Cool white x24
Neutral white x12
Blue x12
Royal blue x36
Violet 410-420nm x12
Red 660nm x3
Turquoise 495nm x3

I almost went with the standard meanwell drivers until @MagicJ started the thread about the LDD drivers. These drivers are MUCH smaller and cheaper so I decided to use these. Whats even better was that these drivers could be mounted to a board (5 per board) so it is very neat and cleans up the wiring.
To give an idea of the size....
size.jpg

The board with the sockets mounted
finishedboardsm.jpg

Drivers mounted
drivers.jpg

Using the calculator from @MagicJ, I needed at least a power supply with more than the values in the excel pic.

reefled.jpg

I got a meanwell 48V 8.3A 400W DC power supply off ebay. They are fairly cheap but it is doing the job so far! The fan on it is a little loud though, so I might see if I can swap it for a quiet one someday.
IMAG0582.jpg

The layout of the LEDs is something like this awesome microsoft paint pic I did.
There are six 6" heat sinks, so I built three each of this layout
layout.jpg

When I actually built them it ended up looking like this. The heat sinks with the Red and Turquoise are the top three.
layout1.jpg

I always run hoods over my tanks so when I built this hood I added a spot where I could mount the LEDs
I mounted the heat sinks on some tube that I got from here.
I just quickly made up some brackets to mount the heat sinks to the tube using the existing holes where the fan bolts in. So in the hood I can slide the heat sinks from front to back and side to side.
I ended up wiring the fans directly to the power supply so they are all running at 8v each. They keep the heat sinks nice and cool and I cant hear the fans when the hood is closed.

IMAG0596.jpg

rail.jpg

side.jpg

front.jpg

I just need to mount the boards and drivers properly in a box and hook up a controller and it will be all done.... until I want to change or add new LED's.
(same pic as above)

LED2.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Some new additions :)
Firstly, an unwanted addition has popped up since the tank has been getting the morning sunlight... cyano :rolleyes It has been here for a couple of weeks now but its fading away now.

I got a nice purple Heteractis Crispa anemone which is a natural host for my Percula clowns. I put the anemone in a spot that I liked and 5 minutes later this happened....
clownsnem2.5.jpg

I feel sorry about the people who have been waiting months and months for their clowns to notice their anemone :p

After about 2 weeks the anemone pulled it self under the rock and stayed there for a couple of days, then appeared about 10cm away on the other side of the rock.
So after about a month in the tank this is what the nem looks like.

crispa27.05.13small.jpg

Next is an awesome Squamosa clam that I got from @Rob.
squamosa27.5.13s.jpg

And lastly I got a few sps frags from @chimaera.
frags27.5.13s.jpg

My Tunze ATO pump failed last week so I replaced it with a spare that I had. There was a small line of rust on the failed pump so I wonder if water was getting in somewhere that it shouldn't have. Hopefully the cyano doesn't last too much longer because its pretty ugly on my nice new sand!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Love that 'nem and clowns! The clam is great too.

Glad to see that tabling acro extends its polyps in your tank too :D

Kirky

Nov 23, 2012
Buddy I'm thinking of a similar sized tank and would like your opinion, how would this tank look viewable from 3 sides with the overflow being on the end rather than the back and the 3 sides being front back and on the right side?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Like a peninsula tank as a room divider? They look great if they are set up properly. You might need to get creative to hide the pumps, or make a closed loop system. If you Google peninsula aquariums you will see heaps of set ups.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
this tank looks awesome! dig the scape. but its missing one thing...? and thats me sitting in front of it with some popcorn :P

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Some new additions :)
Firstly, an unwanted addition has popped up since the tank has been getting the morning sunlight... cyano :rolleyes It has been here for a couple of weeks now but its fading away now.

I got a nice purple Heteractis Crispa anemone which is a natural host for my Percula clowns. I put the anemone in a spot that I liked and 5 minutes later this happened....
View attachment 15135

I feel sorry about the people who have been waiting months and months for their clowns to notice their anemone :p

After about 2 weeks the anemone pulled it self under the rock and stayed there for a couple of days, then appeared about 10cm away on the other side of the rock.
So after about a month in the tank this is what the nem looks like.

View attachment 15139

Next is an awesome Squamosa clam that I got from @Rob.
View attachment 15141

And lastly I got a few sps frags from @chimaera.
View attachment 15140

My Tunze ATO pump failed last week so I replaced it with a spare that I had. There was a small line of rust on the failed pump so I wonder if water was getting in somewhere that it shouldn't have. Hopefully the cyano doesn't last too much longer because its pretty ugly on my nice new sand!
STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!