Tank Journal Archive

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Going back through my journal , There has been some changes , Some good some not so :(
The toxic hammer has grown a huge amount , the clam as well :)
My favorite acan has changed colour , To a more normal orange red :(
Just moved it to try and get some of its former glory back , Its very health tho , Always feeding ... So thats one good thing

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Luke, you're running LEDs right? There is a lot of literature out there that describes red, brown and rainbow acans turning orange under LED lighting. It supposedly does not affect the coral in any other way bar colour. I for one am experiencing the exact same thing with a red/white acan that I have under LED. Tank looks awesome btw. I want to procreate with your green hammer.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Luke, you're running LEDs right? There is a lot of literature out there that describes red, brown and rainbow acans turning orange under LED lighting. It supposedly does not affect the coral in any other way bar colour. I for one am experiencing the exact same thing with a red/white acan that I have under LED. Tank looks awesome btw. I want to procreate with your green hammer.
That's no just a thing only with acans. There is documented colour changes in Zoas as awell. Not just under LEDs but from t5s to halides to LEDs. Three different colours one different colour.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
My acans turned orange too :banghead
My acans turned orange too ... under the Radion. Since I switched to a pair of Coral Flare PAR38s, all of the previous colour has returned. I'm going to have to work out how whether it's a spectrum effect, or just intensity of light.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I recon it might be intensity with the acans etc. Peekandboo from masa has more acans than I have ever seen in a tank and he commented on his changing under t5's but he has 8x54w over a four footer.

The tank is looking good luke! I cant belive it looks this good after being left to its own devises for so long!

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I recon it might be intensity with the acans etc. Peekandboo from masa has more acans than I have ever seen in a tank and he commented on his changing under t5's but he has 8x54w over a four footer.

The tank is looking good luke! I cant belive it looks this good after being left to its own devises for so long!
Thanks mate ,I was lucky with the tank i think .. I put it down to only having 5 fish in there , a purple tang , 2 pj cardinals a blue/green chromis and a mandarin ,

With the acans , I was thinking it may have been light intensity ? , I've moved them into a lower light part of the tank ...time will tell , After what Elias wrote tho , I will have to go and do some research on it

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Yes it's light intensity with the acans.... The nicest rainbows are collected from quite deep. Power compacts or T8 flouro is enough light to satisfy Acans. Yet like most ,they can be acclimatised to high intensity light over several months to a year.
My acans sit in a high spot next to my light hungry birds nests.
BTW your tank looks awesome , keep those pics coming mate!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
My acans turned orange too ... under the Radion. Since I switched to a pair of Coral Flare PAR38s, all of the previous colour has returned. I'm going to have to work out how whether it's a spectrum effect, or just intensity of light.
my bets on light intensity